"Exercise" - What do you count?

Options
elvb
elvb Posts: 423 Member
I am one of those that literally vegetate once I get home from work. Mind you, I work at a desk for 9 hours a day so it's not like I have a heavy duty job. I have children who clean the house regularly so when I get home I don't have anything that NEEDS done except to make myself dinner they've eaten by the time I get home. They are old enough to shower themselves, also. So again, nothing to do but veg on the couch, with my laptop. I'm honestly surprised I've lost as much weight as I have. Obviously it's not due to exercise. lol

I tend to log extensive cleaning that I do once every couple weeks (moving furniture, deep cleaning the bathroom, etc) on MFP as a workout. I also log grocery shopping as slow walking if I hit more than one store in a trip.
My question is, do any of you log things that some people wouldn't consider a workout??? Or am I just that lazy? :wink:

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I've logged walking thru the mall, because I was in a hurry and normally don't go that fast. I put it down as 15-20 minutes of brisk pace.

Um, yea that's about it for me. :laugh:
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I take meds that make me tired, and on top of it I have been sick with a cold for over a week that has totally exhausted me. I struggle with chronic fatigue (not the syndrome, but because of multiple health things).

It can be hard. I like swimming, but not laps. For me the hardest part is getting started. I count doing chores as exercise (if gold counts, chores definitely count- washing the tub, vacuuming, dishes, etc). I try to remember to get up to manually change the television and the volume. Sometimes I get off the bus a few stops early and walk the rest of the time, and if I am in some place I have to wait and there are chairs available, I generally try to stand up.

When you deal with chronic tiredness and always feel tired, getting exercise can be hard, so you have to celebrate the ltitle things. I have wanted to try taking the supplements C-Q-10 and L-Carnitine. I know where to get the Co-Q-10 but the L-Carnitine is hard to find or extremely expensive, but I have heard some excellent reports about boosts in energy (naturally, without the caffeine jitters).
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    That's a lot to deal with, bexominglex! I've been dealing with chronic "cold weather" pain almost all my life. It wears me out when it happens so I kind of get where you're coming from. I'm going to get tested for fibromyalgia, soon.

Baby steps is what you have to do when it comes to your health and trying to get movement in somewhere. I'm plain ol' lazy so I tend to have to FORCE myself to move once I get home in my pjs. :ohwell:
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well, 65 pounds lost isn't shabby! Good luck at the doctors! And yeah, once I am in my PJs I like to just hunker down with a book or something.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi All :smile:

I am an insulin dependent diabetic with Neuropathy for over a year now. I ended up bed ridden for a very long time, but have been gradually doing better and becoming more active for months now. Yes it has been all about counting the little things and with time and work I am getting stronger. My hands and feet still tingle or become painful/numb, but there are good and bad days so any movement is a good thing.

Housework, walking (including shopping or just pacing while on the phone) any sustained effort counts in my book. And on a good day I can even manage some stretching or low impact aerobics, but that is still new for me and I am not regular enough yet. :wink:

Be Well
    Panda_1999
  • sevenof9ncrew73
    Options
    im sara and new to this group and MFP today but i am a walker already i joined the couch to 5k program but i was not determined enough to actually do it as supposed too nothing to motivate me and keep me going, i have my challenges with running like i have no right knee cap i have a prosthetic vertebrae and even after nearly 5 yrs after surgery my shoulder and neck still hurt and kill me when i try to jog i found jog with my neck collar on helps but i cant do races with a collar so i need to learn to run well i need to jog first i can do just under a minute without pain its not helpful because i am determined that in June i will run and complete my first 5k survivor mud run obstacle course in Seattle WA. area. I need to train for this though so any hints and advice is appreciated, i do not have access to a gym either so can not do a lot of machine work so far i use Wii sports to do some cardio tennis and things to work on breathing but even then running is still so far ahead for me i want to run this race with 2 friends but they already run marathons so even training with them is out as they leave me for dust so hopefully i will get the input and kick in the *kitten* when i need it to get in shape. pain is not a motivator to keep on doing what hurts but i am no quitter.