Hi, new here...

Options
...not to MFP, but to the Primal way of eating. So, hi. :flowerforyou:

My name's Shuntae, and I'm 31 from MD. I don't have any specific health issues which make this way of eating an absolute necessity for me...but I do notice a distinct improvement in my overall feeling when I avoid bread, pasta, etc. For now, I am easing my way into the plan, but after the holiday weekend, I will be eliminating wheat, dairy, and sugar for 30 days. After that, I may add in the occasional sweet potato or a bit of dairy but we'll see how that goes.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I am relatively new to primal too.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'll add my welcome as well! I follow Diet Evolution, which is primal/paleo-like but also adds in the latest in nutrition-based longevity research. Let us know how we can help. ;)
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I'm a little over a month into it and I see very posative health results.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm new too. I've commited the month of December for Paleo. My hope is I'll start to see some weight begin to drop again. It's been 2 months of hovering at the same weight. I am grateful for not having gained any weight, but I'd like to see it start to drop again. I believe, from what I've read, that this will be a good program for me. I'm also grateful for places like this group to turn to for advice.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the Primal/Paleo/etc. newbies! This is a great group - glad you found us. :)
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been basically doing Primal/Paleo since June of 2010 when my daughter was SO sick and diagnosed with resistance to wheat, dairy, and sugar (candida.) It's been a long haul (she's MUCH better now) and the longer I do it, the more consistent I get. But I am more 80/20 because I am at my goal weight for over a year (60lb loss) and do splurge from time to time. But you know what.... I ALWAYS regret it! This is SUCH a good way of eating!

Tonight we had chicken/broccoli with a fried egg over and 1/4 of a one minute muffin and it felt like PURE comfort food.

Recipe for the one minute muffin:
    One Minute Muffin
    Recipe by Healthy Living How To
    Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Sugar-Free, Bread Alternative

Prep Time: 3 Minutes
    Cook Time: 1 Minute
    Servings: 1

Ingredients

1/4 c. Almond Flour -
    2 Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed Meal
    Pinch Celtic Sea Salt
    1/2 tsp. Rumford Baking Powder (Aluminum-Free, Gluten-Free)
    1/2 Tbsp. Organic Unsalted Butter
    1 Large Organic Egg

Cooking Directions

Melt butter in a 4 1/2 inch ramekin.
    Whisk egg and then slowly drizzle in the melted butter.
    To the egg and butter add almond flour, flaxseed meal and salt. Mix well with a spoon.
    Sprinkle with baking powder and mix one more time.
    Spoon into ramekin and microwave for one minute.
    Remove from microwave with dish towel and invert on a cooling rack.
    Split in half and toast! Slather with butter or make a sandwich or a burger, whatever the heck you want!

Copyright © 2011, Vanessa Romero www.healthylivinghowto.com

We split it into 2 ramekins then have 1/2 of that toasted for 72 calories, 3 carbs. Otherwise it's pretty high in calories. We add lots of italian seasonings for a savory bread.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the dark side haha!

Have been eating paleo for about 8 months now and feel better and better as time goes by. It's also easier to not eat grain based foods after a while, in my experience ... can walk by a bakery or cupcake store now with no interest at all :-)

My diet is about 50% fat by calories and that's omega 3 or saturated fats mostly (the latter is my fav cooking blend of ghee/coconut oil). Actively avoid omega 6s because it's readily available in (for instance) supermarket meats--a compromise when I can't get grass fed which is higher in omega 3s, and so many other foods. Focus on vegetables, eggs, shellfish, fish, poultry, red meat, and sometimes pork (bacon!)--hard to find pasture rasied pork :-( plus occasionally fruit and nuts. Supplement with cod liver oil and vitamin C.

Major sins are red wine and coffee ... haven't been logging since I reached my weight loss goal a couple months ago. Message me if you are curious about a typical day's menu. For me this is no longer about weight; it's about being and feeling healthy. It's easy to eat this way because the results speak loud and clear that this is working.
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm also giving Paleo a try during December. I'm loosely following Robb Wolf's book. I know eating eggs every morning is discouraged but I have trouble with eating meat in the morning (it is mental, I know). Any breakfast suggestions??? I've seen several recipes for Paleo friendly muffins, maybe I will give them a try.
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm also giving Paleo a try during December. I'm loosely following Robb Wolf's book. I know eating eggs every morning is discouraged but I have trouble with eating meat in the morning (it is mental, I know). Any breakfast suggestions??? I've seen several recipes for Paleo friendly muffins, maybe I will give them a try.

I'm an egg girl too. Probably always will be and never feel bad about it. Eggs stay with me best and keep me from feeling hungry at 10am. Sometimes I eat leftover dinners (meat/veggies) but mostly it's 2 HB eggs or some type of omelet. My favorite being Organic Prairie Italian chicken sausage, spinach, and mushrooms. LOVE that! My DD and I RUSH to see who can get to the skillet first in the morning. Note to self: buy a second skillet. :wink:
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I'm an egg girl too. Probably always will be and never feel bad about it. Eggs stay with me best and keep me from feeling hungry at 10am. Sometimes I eat leftover dinners (meat/veggies) but mostly it's 2 HB eggs or some type of omelet. My favorite being Organic Prairie Italian chicken sausage, spinach, and mushrooms. LOVE that! My DD and I RUSH to see who can get to the skillet first in the morning. Note to self: buy a second skillet. :wink:

Sounds delish!!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm also new to this but not MFP. Just discovered paleo while reading a blog and thought it sounded 1) hard 2) worthwhile. So I went to the grocery store this evening to try to get myself some stuff to get started on the right path. Looking forward to learning more about paleo and all of you as well :)
  • justmeJB
    Options
    Welcome!! :flowerforyou:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Hello all... Just wanted to check in after not being around for a week. Probably won't be around for another week or so.

Just started a new job and don't want to hop out on the internet right away, ya know? :wink: