Nutrition - recipes, treats, etc.

Options
Sassy_Cass
Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
Hey team,

I thought this would be a good way to kind of direct our discussions that way we can better identify where we can help and motivate one another.

Personally, I find it crazy difficult to stick to the meal plan given my changes in work environment every day - I am going to make a serious effort to analyze the meal plan and work out how I can accommodate the portions and macros in my next phase (yes I am already thinking about what comes next :laugh:)

If you have questions, solid recipes or just want to vent about the fact that you ate 1/3 a bag of chips at your desk :blushing: *that was me today* let it out here and someone will def get back to you with some support or advice!

Replies

• Sassy_Cass
    Options
    Please do - I would love a recipe for home made protein bars - those things are expensive!
  • Sassy_Cass
    Options
    Please do - I would love a recipe for home made protein bars - those things are expensive!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe I use for homemade protein flapjacks

I've adapted this recipe from one I found on the web so not 100% mine but there ya go.

250g rolled oats
    250g peanut butter
    130g honey
    100g brazil nuts
    100g almonds
    140g whey powder (I used Matrix Nutrition chocolate flavour because that's what I have)
    Splash of skimmed milk if required.

Put the oats, brazil nuts, almonds and whey in the blender and chop to reasonably fine consistency (leaving some nice chunks of nuts in there).
    Put the peanut butter and honey in the microwave and blast for about a minute until it's goey and warm.
    Mix together with the dry ingredients to make a pastey consistency. Add milk here if required.
    Push into a baking tray either lined with parchment paper or just greased with fry light 1 cal spray
    Bake at 130 for about 30-40 minutes.
    Finished article should be spongey to the touch but firm enough not to break up.

Cut into 15 equal pieces and store for when you need them. If you added milk, store them in the fridge just to be sure...

Each piece contains:

Calories - 314
    Carbs - 23g (Mostly low GI from the honey and whole carbs from the oats)
    Protein - 14g
    Fats - 19 (I know! But trust me, it's almost all good fats from all the nuts)

To reduce the fat content a bit, swap the brazil nuts out for more almonds or swap both out for peanuts or another lower fat nut.

Too calorific? Cut into smaller pieces...

Enjoy!

Jay
  • YVL93
    YVL93 Posts: 121
    Options
    Each bar costs about 60 cents and contains:
    260 calories
    35g protein
    21g carbs
    15% calories from good fat

Ingredients (makes 13 bars):
    Metric Imperial
    100% natural protein powder 400g 14 ounces
    Organic rolled oats 200g 7 ounces
    Fat-free milk (not low-fat) 180ml 3/4 cup
    Natural peanut butter 100g 3 ounces
    Organic honey 100g 3 ounces
    Cocoa powder 30g 1 ounce
    Organic ground Flax

this is copied from scoobysworkshop.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/healthy-inexpensive-meal-replacement-bars/
    these are delicious and check out the site hes pretty awesome
  • Tropics01
    Options
    Hi Wendy,

I am new to the group and was really inspired by your pictures! I am a 49 year old mom of grown children and appreciated seeing someone else close to my age, staying in shape. I used to do relay marathons with friends, until I hurt my knee, and now I do P90X. I have kind of "slacked off" since my knee surgery, but now hope to get back into shape and look as incredible as you. Thanks for the inspiration (and the protein bar recipe) !

: ) Bonnie (tropics01)