Box talk

Options
Shizzman
Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
So what box do you belong to? Any of you belong to a CrossFit with a claim to fame or maybe you have some smack to talk about a rival box.

I belong to CFSA (CrossFit South Arlington [Arlington, VA]) and one of our members is getting ready to open another box near Ballston.

Replies

• FindingTotalHealth
    Options
    I'm at Crossfit Ktown in Knoxville, TN
  • snkeller24
    Options
    CrossFit 717 in Lemoyne, PA. No claim to fame yet but it may be coming ... hopefully some day it may be me!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Maybe we'll be seeing people at Regionals!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    CrossFit Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL. Suburb of Chicago :)
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Crossfit by Overload in CA. The owners are pretty involved with headquarters. Jordan Gravatt does a lot of the films you see at the games and on the journal. I love my box.
  • WarriorJayne
    Options
    I work out at Always Forward Crossfit in Granville, Ohio. [Just outside of Columbus home of Rogue & 2010 CrossFit Mens Champ Graham Holmberg (who's sister I went to school with)].

We are a new and growing leaps and bounds from a garage, to a room under a elementary school, to a new giant space (with no heat) right next to the bike path.
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I belong to Rogue Fitness CrossFit Gahanna (which is a city in central Ohio just outside of Columbus). It's owned by two people: Graham Holmberg (winner of the 2010 CrossFit Games and 4th place finisher in 2011) and Brandon Coudon (a member of our gym's affiliate team at the 2011 CrossFit Games. The team finished 14th). Like everyone else, I really think the social aspect of "the box" is a huge part of what makes CrossFit so amazing!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of WODs on my own at my globo gym, Champions Fitness in Waterville, ME

But I also get to Crossfit 321 in Brunswick, ME about once a week. I will be doing my first competition there in a week and a half!
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I helped open CrossFit Tuscaloosa 1 yr ago today. But I moved to Nashville this past Sunday and have now joined CrossFit Music City.

Do y'all visit other boxes when you visit other areas? I've tried CrossFit LA, CrossFit Oahu, Park City CrossFit (yup - Spealler's gym, but he wasn't there that day), CrossFit 27:17 in Jackson, Mississippi, CrossFit Huntsville, World Camp CrossFit (competed at the 2011 Games), Faction in Memphis, and CrossFit Atlanta. - It's the best part of having to travel so much for work. :)
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm at Crossfit Ktown in Knoxville, TN

Will your box be doing the Middle Tennessee Throwdown Dec. 17 hosted by CrossFit Rampage?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Crossfit de L'ouest - in Montreal Quebec. We have friendly competitions with other affiliates - Crossfit L'Usine (Camille Leblanc-Bazinets box) and Crossfit Plateau/Abbatoir (Michele Letendre's box).

My box owners are great - my trainer uses this site too.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Do y'all visit other boxes when you visit other areas? I've tried CrossFit LA, CrossFit Oahu, Park City CrossFit (yup - Spealler's gym, but he wasn't there that day), CrossFit 27:17 in Jackson, Mississippi, CrossFit Huntsville, World Camp CrossFit (competed at the 2011 Games), Faction in Memphis, and CrossFit Atlanta. - It's the best part of having to travel so much for work. :)

I've never visited others - but have thought about it. I'll be in Hawaii on vacation and there may be a day or so when I'm on my own for something to do. I assume you can contact them and pay a 'drop in' fee? Any thoughts?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I was going to drop into the Myrtle Beach one, but then realized I was staying in North Myrtle Beach, which was a ways from where I was staying. I did my own CF WOD's at the hotel gym and had a few people (even the muscle heads) ask what I was following (especially doing Handstand wall climbs).
    I contacted them beforehand and asked if I could drop in. I didn't hear back from them so I felt it wasn't a very friendly box. I know we get visitors at our box often and I always enjoy meeting people from abroad!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I've just finished my first week at Crossfit Central in Austin, Texas. It seems very friendly.

I was wondering how other boxes felt about dropping in for workouts. I travel a lot for races and was wondering if it was a common practice to drop in for a work out or two.
  • Brendevi
    Options
    I belong to Crossfit USD (University of San Diego), in San Diego. My coach, JP Bolwahnn, has been famous lately because he's 33 and playing college football. He was interviewed on Sportscenter and in newspapers. He is a former Navy SEAL and a great Crossfit coach.
  • Elewood24
    Elewood24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    CrossfitEnhance in Decatur, IL. We love visitors (and I doubt we expect the drop in fee), but you have to be seriously lost to make it to Decatur, let alone find our BFE box.

Does anyone follow Drywall Crossfit's blog: forging elite sarcasm? In that vein of "my box is better than your box": not only are we impossible to find, the two ways in have railroad tracks and odds are high that you're late for a WOD or never get home after one, and we have the best damn fees: I spend more on bacon and eggs than I spend on membership.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    I started reading the blog - not sure of the poster's history ... but I can't tell if he hates crossfit or loves it? Or just airs it all out there ... funny though.
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to Hammer Crossfit in Peoria, AZ.. but with financial strains my husband and I put our own little gym together in our garage...
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i belong to Crossfit Dunedin... in New Zealand.. and our box has only been open since January but already we have such a great community of people and our own inter house competitions, which usually involves most of the deep south but looking forward to what 2012 can bring us!! or should i say what we can bring to it!!! :D
  • jessylanne
    jessylanne Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Crossfit Cochrane, Alberta Canada. When the box closed I bought a bunch of equipment and now I workout at home. But I'm planning on joining Crossfit Calgary, even though it's a long drive.