Excercise...what are you doing??

Options
Hey guys, Just interested in hearing what types of exercise everyone is doing? Are you gyming it, walking, running or some other type of fab workout??

How often do you excercise and for how long? Do you mix it up or stick to the same everyday? Any particular excercise you are seeing amazing results from?

Is anyone doing the 30 day shred that everyone talks about? If so where did you purchase it from?

Just thought we could share what we are doing and motivate each other, I am struggling with excercise right now, not doing it often enough and mainly just brisk walking, up hill and up steps and doing sit ups etc...

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is doing :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alikatnz
    Options
    I just finished a walk around the park at the end of my road. I try and mix up walking and working out with EA Sports Active 2. Might splurge on a gym membership next year if my timetable for Tech doesn't slow me down too much.
  • tycusjay
    tycusjay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually do 40 mins on my exercise bike and 20 minutes of wii boxing, but i'm getting a little bored so I have also ordered Zumba for the wii and the 30 day shred (just to see what all the fuss is about). I would LOVE to go walking but it's so hard with a toddler plus my town is getting a little scary which sux :(
  • traceizbiz
    Options
    I usually do 40 mins on my exercise bike and 20 minutes of wii boxing, but i'm getting a little bored so I have also ordered Zumba for the wii and the 30 day shred (just to see what all the fuss is about). I would LOVE to go walking but it's so hard with a toddler plus my town is getting a little scary which sux :(

I must do boxing on the wii..good thinking! Where did you get your copy of the 30 day shred?
  • tycusjay
    tycusjay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ebay! It was $17.85 (AUS) with free P&H. I'm a bit scared as from what i've heard, it's pretty tough!
  • digdeep2011
    Options
    I get bored really easily so my programme is really varied and is based mainly at the gym, but I do lower body workouts 2x a week, upper body workouts 2x a week, Spin Class 3x week, Walk up the Mount 1x week, 20 min Elliptical Trainer 1x week and 20 min Summit Climber 1x a week. I tried everything outside of the gym before i joined, home videos, hill climbing, jogging, home weights but the gym is the only thing that i have stuck too. Loving spinning right now, but i know in time that will change..
  • traceizbiz
    Options
    I get bored really easily so my programme is really varied and is based mainly at the gym, but I do lower body workouts 2x a week, upper body workouts 2x a week, Spin Class 3x week, Walk up the Mount 1x week, 20 min Elliptical Trainer 1x week and 20 min Summit Climber 1x a week. I tried everything outside of the gym before i joined, home videos, hill climbing, jogging, home weights but the gym is the only thing that i have stuck too. Loving spinning right now, but i know in time that will change..

That is awesome! I hate spin class lol.... I walked out about 10mins into the one and only class I went to :) I have to at least partially enjoy what I am doing even if it hurts!
  • c_flannery
    Options
    I got a copy of 30 Day Shred from trade me and it was quite cheap. Have only done it a few times cos I am having a running phase atm. I have using map my run to track my running and its great. You get a calendar and it tracks how many km you run each week and then a % increase/decrease from last week. Very motivating.

I also love playing team sports and am currently playing social hockey on Tuesday's and netball on a Wednesday. I used to play touch on Thursday nights with a work team as well but have given that a rest for a while.

I find doing a small amount of exercise often is a good way to get it in, especially if you don't like exercising much. If you have a treadmill or a bike at home, jump on it for 10 min then have a rest and go back to it later or make a circuit at home with some squats lunges etc.

I have also decided to do a bit of study to learn a bit more about exercising and how the body works & have signed up with netfit to do a correspondence course for my Core A & B Fitness certificate. From there you can go on to do personal training etc (not that I am looking for a change in career, I just really want to make sure that I change my mind set & I love learning new things)
  • hadlam
    hadlam Posts: 90
    Options
    Whats the 30 day shred?
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for strength training - I don't follow the New Rules of Lifting for Women programme, but my workouts are very similar. Heavy lifting has made a huge difference to the way I look, and I didn't get bulky at all - just (and I shudder to use the word) toned and lean looking. I also suffered from "flat bum syndrome" and squats and deadlifts has fixed that right up.

For cardio, I teach a Zumba class twice a week and I get additional cardio from Zumba when I'm practicing or preparing a new song/routine. And sometimes a Hatha yoga class - lots of stretching and breathing :)
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've slowed down alot recently (I'm 7mths pregnant) and am mainly walking and doing a Zumba class once a week. Once baby is here and we've settled into being a family, I'll get into doing 30 Day Shred, Zumba, Turbo Jam and walking. I also have Turbo Fire which I'll start once I get my fitness back up and I'd like to eventually become a Zumba instructor and get into running. I'll need to add some weight training in there too somewhere. But I'm definitely looking forward to being more active again :smile:
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've got a wide selection of dvd's now but mostly I do zumba. I've been getting into kickboxing lately, I go out for walks when I can & my lawns are mowed regularly.

I got a heart rate monitor recently so I'm giving everything a go just to see how many calories I burn :)
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am walking/running 30 mins morning and night (as well as other random stints such as at smoko) everyday at the moment. But this is just for a steps challenge at work. I normally do Pump 1-2 times a week and I need to add more strength/toning training into my workout as soon as the challenge is done. I like RPM (spin class) too just for the feeling of getting your a*s kicked by a workout. Great way to wake yourself up in the mornings.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I walk our little dog 3 or 4 times a week for about half an hour, I try to get on my stationary bike 2 times a week for 45 minutes and I've just started doing the EA Active thing last week.
    I'm getting into body weight training, and tabata as well.
    I have an active job though where I'm on my feet walking and lifting/carrying for 50-70% of the time.
  • fredtraver
    fredtraver Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Walking but my walking is boring so started 5BX today man that got the heart going. now all I need to do is get it up to 11mins.
    If anyone knows what the calorie count is for 5BX would be interested in knowing. Its for men, XBX is for women very easy to start but builds up in intensity. Worth a look if not wanting to go out and beat the street lol
    Ps after thought = nonprofit.memlane.com/cc40sar/fitness/XBX.pdf
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i cheat lol i do fitness classes with crossfit.. love it !! always get forced to work out hard- thats usually either the normal crossfit work out or the boxing but at the moment i am also doing bootcamp.. so all in all 5 times a week
    but then on top of that i do pole dancing and gymnastics - trying to do that twice each!! so yeh im all about variation, cardio and strength training o and i love zumba and try to do that atleast once a week
  • ccmurphy
    Options
    I purchased a 30 shred DVD online from CDwow. I like it - it's hard out but all over with in 20-25mins. I try do this first thing in the morning before the kids wake up so my exercise is done out the way for the day. Saying that I started off with a hiss and roar but have dropped off a bit I need to make more effort...........
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do a far lot more than I did this tiem last year!!

Monday - Indoor Soccer
    Tuesday - Touch rugby and/or kick class at gym
    Wednesday - Power (weights) class at gym
    Thursday - Touch Rugby
    Saturday - Power (weights) class at gym
    Sunday - kick class at gym or touch rugby.
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to fit in with 3 kids and teaching full time. Mainly exercycle interval training in the evening... but I make decisions to walk when I can and park further away and run around more with the kids at school. Did 7 days of the 30 day shred last month and was loving it but find it hard to fit in - will try again when school breaks up! Oh and going for walks with the kids on scooters.. .that keeps me moving fast!
  • kiwigal111
    kiwigal111 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just got back in from my very first attempt in running in 8 years. I must've looked a sight. I started off...looked at my watch, full of beans, run for what felt like ages, and looked at my watch again...... WHAT???? only two minutes had passed...I tapped my watch, thinking "That can't be right! I must've slowed down a bit, as our dog started pulling me along, so I carried on...for again what felt like AGES... WHAT? only two more minutes had passed..... "Why is it, that time was going soooo slow?" I managed to run for another minute, with my wrist up at my face, watching the seconds tick by - slowly, ohhh sooo slowly-.Must've looked sooo spazzy!!!! Then walked for another 60 minutes. Tomorrow I will try and run for 8-10 minutes.; I want to build it up, rather than be sooo sore and never do it again. If not tomorrow - then Boxing Day.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Just got back in from my very first attempt in running in 8 years. I must've looked a sight. I started off...looked at my watch, full of beans, run for what felt like ages, and looked at my watch again...... WHAT???? only two minutes had passed...I tapped my watch, thinking "That can't be right! I must've slowed down a bit, as our dog started pulling me along, so I carried on...for again what felt like AGES... WHAT? only two more minutes had passed..... "Why is it, that time was going soooo slow?" I managed to run for another minute, with my wrist up at my face, watching the seconds tick by - slowly, ohhh sooo slowly-.Must've looked sooo spazzy!!!! Then walked for another 60 minutes. Tomorrow I will try and run for 8-10 minutes.; I want to build it up, rather than be sooo sore and never do it again. If not tomorrow - then Boxing Day.

C25K is a good programme to get you running. Slowly builds up until you run for 30 minutes. I used a phone app "Get Running" but you can get music/podcasts for MP3 players also.

I run 3 times a week, Take my lab pup for a walk twice a day - not allowed to do too much exercise so usually 30-45 minutes each time! I was doing weights too but not keen to leave the pup alone too much!!!