Christmas Dinner Planning - anyone?

Options
cramernh
cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
Thought it would be fun to share some ideas on what our Christmas Dinner ideas might be?

Im planning on doing a nice Prime Rib dinner for George and I.

Seasoned Prime Rib w/fresh Au Jus
Freshly grated horseradish

Duchess Potatoes

Roasted colored pepper strips, onions and portabella mushrooms with sun-dried tomatoes

Wild mesclun salad w/heirloom tomatoes, red bell peppers strips, english cucumbers, thinly sliced red onions and a homemade mustard vinaigrette

Deviled Eggs

Freshly baked whole wheat braided garlic bread (for hubby)

DESSERT: A low-carb Crustless Cherry-Almond Cheesecake

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I am going to my parents for Christmas so me and my Mum share the cooking- we are having:

To start: mixed seafood (giant prawns/shrimp, scallops and smoked salmon) with an olive oil and lemon dressing, with some watercress and rocket (arugula)

Roast turkey
    Stuffing- made with sausage meat, onions, herbs, cranberries and apples shaped into a log and wrapped in bacon.
    Creamed brussels sprouts
    braised christmas red cabbage
    roasted parsnips
    Roasted potatoes
    honeyed carrots
    Gravy & cranberry sauce

Dessert- Christmas pudding with cointreau cream.

coffee & chocolate mints.

As there are 4 non low carbers eating- and only me I will try and be as sensible with the carby veg as possible. However, as it is Christmas day i wont sweat it too much and have a good run the next day.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    we don't do Christmas dinner. we have Christmas brunch. all the breakfast goodies, but healthier. since it's just DH and i we won't be having allot of food. we didn't for thanksgiving either and it made it so much easier.
  • starfires
    starfires Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My OH's parents are cooking and I think they're just doing a normal turkey dinner this year. I'll probably have the turkey and veg, skip the potatoes and bring a low carb cheesecake for pudding.
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I never cook on Christmas....we always just have "snack trays"....veggies tray, meat tray, shrimp/seafood tray.....
  • gammybarb
    gammybarb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Going to my sons.

Dinner:
    Cooks ham
    Deviled eggs
    Tossed salad
    Green beans w/bacon and new potatoes
    Rolls
    Iced Tea

I will eat everything but the potatoes and rolls. Then I will clean the kitchen for exercise. LOL
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be having the Christmas dinner at my house this year, so I get to control it all!

Spiral ham
    lemon-garlic green beans
    mashed potatoes (for the non low carb people)
    Low carb and regular bread for sandwiches
    deviled eggs
    Mixed greens salad with balsamic vinegar and evoo dressing

Probably a low carb pecan pie and/or cheesecake and a regular apple pie. I'll stick to all the low carb stuff though.
  • punkinbaby1
    punkinbaby1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    anyone know how to make low carb fudge? peanut butter or chocolate?
  • gklose
    gklose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Haven't worked on a Christmas Dinner plan yet, but a common fallback is a beef tenderloin (which is quite simple to do -- it also isn't so expensive if you go to a place like Costco or BJs Warehouse, then learn how to prep it yourself).

BTW, we have a favorite "mash" at home, which can be found on lowcarbsite.com in the recipes section. "Rico's mashed cauliflower" adds a touch of onion and sour cream to the mash, and then you add some cheese on top and bake it to form a crust. But we typically used some minced shallot instead of onion (it adds a distinct sweet onion-y flavor) and I find that sour cream work very well with cauliflower. In fact, we haven't mashed a potato in well over a year (I'm the only one officially low-carbing at home).

Tenderloin, Rico's mashed cauliflower, and maybe some roasted green beans. That's a good start!
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    DESSERT: A low-carb Crustless Cherry-Almond Cheesecake

Would you be willing to share your recipe for your dessert? It sounds great! Thanks in advance!