Natural Hair Sista's

Options
Are there any Sista's in the group with Natural Hair? We get our sweat on when we exercise and have to wash our hair more often. What do you use to wash your hair? Looking for a conditioner that holds the moisture for longer periods of time. Any suggestions or comments are greatly Appreciated.

Thanks Happy to be Nappy

Replies

• LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I use twisted sista got it from target. It has worked pretty well for me
  • GoldSag1
    GoldSag1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love Shea Mositure products! All natural and affordable! They are also available at Target and Walgreens. I use the coconut and hisbiscus line. If I don't have time to adequately deep condition after I wash it, I use the coconut milk, followed by a little castor or grapeseed oil! Moisture for days!
  • MrsRAW712
    MrsRAW712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For daily moisture I use natural coconut oil. A small amount goes a long way! Plus it smells good :)
  • MissMotown
    Options
    Strongly thinking about going natural... Any tips on how to start the process?
  • DeafDiva42
    Options
    Thanks for the Tips everyone. I shall try them all lol. When I shaved my head back in Feb I kept getting it shaved because I loved how I could rock the bald head lol. So now that its cold I'm letting it grow and the dryness sucks! I still love my TWA but I hate how I have to re-wet it like every hour so it don't look like steel wool. I have tried many products, but I am still looking for a moisturizer that will last at least 2 hours.
    Thanks again
    Happy to be Nappy
  • MissMonnyPenny
    Options
    I use a mix of shea butter and coconut oil that I make myself. If I'm having dry scalp issues I use a spray made with rose water, lavender, peppermint & tea tree oils which really helps :)

(don't watch the lace front in my picture hahaha)
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am natural too. I am still trying to find the right products. Right now I have Tresemme Naturals conditioner. It's not bad. I use S-curl or Wave Nouveau as a leave in conditioner. Those are awesome. My hair has been in mainly two strand twists for the last few months...very low maintenance.
  • sandislim
    Options
    I have natural hair and have always had natural hair - its been a complete nightmare actually, its always different everyday - different curls, sometimes tight sometimes loose, different textures, frizziness, stickiness, coarseness, softness - I can't second guess and it drives me mad - I can't blow dry, if I do I end up with a ball of fluff. I use mostly natural products on it and change them every now and again depending on what my hair is doing at the time. I did want to get sista locs but I think it would take way too much time and dedication.
  • MrsRAW712
    MrsRAW712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Something that REALLY helped me before I even began the process is YouTube. There are tons of videos and you'll spend a lot of time seeing the different ways others have gone natural. I would just search for "natural hair" or something like "hair big chop" to get you started. Best wishes!!
  • MissMotown
    Options
    Ok, thanx alot!
  • Vmonique29
    Vmonique29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Kinky Curly shampoo as a clarifying shampoo and Shea Moisture is a good moisturizing shampoo. As for conditioners, I have a few favorites, right now I use Pantene Pro-V Curly Hair Deep Moisturizing Treatment (its in a white square container with a black lid), Suave (Tropical Coconut), and Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner.

I don't wash my hair that often when I exercise. I keep my hair in twists and spray a light moisture mist on my hair after I exercise. If it feels too dry or you really feel the need to wash your hair before your scheduled wash, then I would do a co-wash....which means instead of using shampoo, use a conditioner to wash the hair. This will keep your hair moisturized.

You can refer to this site, for more info on co-washes; http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/11/are-you-down-with-co-washing.html
  • Calorie_Killa
    Options
    I use and am a huge advocate of Organix shampoo and conditioner. The have different kinds but I use the coconut milk one. It keeps my hair well moisturized. I mostly co-wash and only actually use shampoo every third wash. I'd say I wash between 2 - 3 times a week. I let me hair tell me when it's had enough and it's ready to be washed. Kinky Curly's Come Clean shampoo is what I use to clarify about once a month.
  • Calorie_Killa
    Options

It depends which route you want to take. Do you want to BC (big chop) right away cutting all of your relaxer off immediately or would you rather transition into your natural hair? I chose to transition. The best tips I got while transitioning were:

1) Creating styles that helped my relaxed hair blend with my natural new growth. Some people choose to straighten during their transition. I'm not opposed to straightening but it could cause heat damage and ruin your curl pattern. I did a lot of rod sets and twist-outs during my 10 month transition.
    2) Research! Research! Research! As someone else mentioned YouTube is a GREAT resource. There are also tons of natural hair blogs you can get information from. Some of my favs include CurlyNikki, Black Girl with Long Hair and Transitioning to Natural.
    3) Be Patient. It's a process and with anything, it doesn't happen overnight. You will hit rough patches but stick it out.
  • shavonne
    shavonne Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use Suave Shea Butter & Almond or Tresemme Naturals conditioners. Both are non-drying which is good for me since I have to rinse my hair almost everyday.
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use Giovanni Deeper Moisture. You can sometimes get the 33.8 ounce at Marshalls
  • drchanequa
    Options
    Have you tried co-washing? It's a little easier in the warmer months, but it'd probably help keep your hair moisturized. And I second the Shea Moisture products. I also like Taliah Waajid.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't wash my hair any more that I did before I started working out. Remember that your sweat is sterile to you. I co-wash when I feel its necessary , Kinky curly Knot today is the bomb.. and I love the way it smells.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Check out youtube or CurlyNikki.com or Naturallycurly.com Both site helped me tons. Lots of great information about products, regimines, and how curly hair works.
    Best of luck!
  • sasseee_tre
    Options
    I also recommend YouTube,co-washing and using Kinky Curly Knot Today conditioner.Herbal Essence 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner is also great, but I use it sparingly.Different products for different types of hair.Its kind of a trial and error.Get to know your hair.
  • DeafDiva42
    Options
    Yes I co-wash with Wen.