Do you think it's ok to let your child invade others space e

2»

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    OK, so the parent probably should have kept the child at the table, or at least come to get the child if she saw you were annoyed by her, but small kids are naturally curious and want to explore their environment and the people in it. It's part of how they learn. The child wasn't being physically or verbally aggressive, and wasn't doing anything that could have caused harm to you or it - is a few minutes of having your 'personal space' in a public area compromised by a small child really worth so much angst?

Probably for the same reasons that they wouldn't really appreciate my dog hanging out in their personal space.

Let kids explore other areas, like the park or the museum. A restaurant isn't a place for "little explorers" to be running around and invading other peoples' personal space.

That's an odd analogy - a child can be reasoned with, a dog much less so. Also, on a hygiene level, if that's your concern, a dog carries different germs to a human - you're probably immune to any bugs a child may be carrying, but you're unlikely to be immune to those transmissible bugs on a dog.

A restaurant, while I agree it's not an ideal play place, is just as curious an environment to the average two or three year old as a museum or park. I just don't understand getting so worked up about an easily-handled, non-dangerous situation. And "personal space" is such a subjective issue anyway - what is culturally normal in one society is completely absurd in another. Most small kids have no concept of the idea in any case - they've yet to discover socially-imposed norms like this, and being close to people is their 'normal' - small children are ideally often lifted and carried, hugged and held.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    OK, so the parent probably should have kept the child at the table, or at least come to get the child if she saw you were annoyed by her, but small kids are naturally curious and want to explore their environment and the people in it. It's part of how they learn. The child wasn't being physically or verbally aggressive, and wasn't doing anything that could have caused harm to you or it - is a few minutes of having your 'personal space' in a public area compromised by a small child really worth so much angst?

Why not try smiling at the child, and suggesting nicely that she go back to Mummy, as she wouldn't want her to be worried when she can't find her little girl. In most situations, a child that's just exploring, rather than acting out, will do so. Or for that matter, explain kindly that this is your table, and you're having a private conversation, so you'd prefer it if she went back to Mummy. Kids are humans too, and most will respond to reason - what are we teaching them about appropriate communication and how to treat others if we don't ask politely before we resort to more aggressive tactics?

i think youre quite right tbh. The OP even said the kid was only there for a few minutes and then went off again.
    Its not brilliant, but im sure it wouldnt have ruined my meal or anything
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    That's an odd analogy - a child can be reasoned with, a dog much less so. Also, on a hygiene level, if that's your concern, a dog carries different germs to a human - you're probably immune to any bugs a child may be carrying, but you're unlikely to be immune to those transmissible bugs on a dog.

A restaurant, while I agree it's not an ideal play place, is just as curious an environment to the average two or three year old as a museum or park. I just don't understand getting so worked up about an easily-handled, non-dangerous situation. And "personal space" is such a subjective issue anyway - what is culturally normal in one society is completely absurd in another. Most small kids have no concept of the idea in any case - they've yet to discover socially-imposed norms like this, and being close to people is their 'normal' - small children are ideally often lifted and carried, hugged and held.

I'm not even worked up about it, it's just a small, easily avoided annoyance. Honestly, I don't even know why it's an issue - when I was a kid, if we went out to dinner, we were not allowed up from the table. Kids are a safety hazard in an area where people are walking around with trays of hot food - they have no business walking around from table to table.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member

Why not try smiling at the child, and suggesting nicely that she go back to Mummy, as she wouldn't want her to be worried when she can't find her little girl. In most situations, a child that's just exploring, rather than acting out, will do so. Or for that matter, explain kindly that this is your table, and you're having a private conversation, so you'd prefer it if she went back to Mummy. Kids are humans too, and most will respond to reason - what are we teaching them about appropriate communication and how to treat others if we don't ask politely before we resort to more aggressive tactics?

While I understand small children like to explore a restaurant is not an appropriate place for it. Teaching a child where it's appropriate to do these things is important. So basically the message this mother is teaching is that her child can go anywhere she likes and hang on anything she wants. Also I would like to mention we have two registered sex offenders(what he did was with children) in our entire city and one of them works at that place. Still want your child exploring others space? Awfully easy to grab a kid up these days because you aren't worrying about whose space they are invading. Bottom line, other people don't have to put up with your child and while you might not feel it is a big deal, imagine going out to a restaurant and having this happen to you more than 50% of the time........you get tired of it, and it's not my job or obligation to have to put up with it. One last thing, really the thing that bothered me was not her hanging around for a minute or two but that her mother thought it was ok and turned back around and did absolutely nothing. This little girl was hanging under the table right around my fiances knees.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    while i agree with you that its not appropriate, and i agree with the other side that its also not a huge deal. I just want to say that teaching acceptable behaviours is a process, which then become taught. The parent in this instance was obviously not that bothered about teaching, which does tend to give others a bad name, but I think a lot of it is down to how the parents deal with it. If I was in a restaurant and a child came up to my table and bothered me, and then the mother came and got the child back and apologised, and encouraged the child to sit down, then i would be fine with it. Children are children and if theyre never taken to eat out in public then they will never learn, even if theyre not great at sitting still to start with (some children are better at this than others naturally)
    If the parent just let their child go and piss everyone off without even doing anything about it, then its a bit more annoying.

Whats acceptable varies from person to person too. Ive got an aunt that would love nothing more than a little child coming up to talk to her in public, and then other people just dont really relate to kids at all
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Like I said, it's common sense. But it's getting more and more apparent to me that people in this society either love children or they don't, often the childrens behavior is inconsiquential to their feelings. People who have or what kids usually tend to give unruly other peoples unruly children patience as long as the parents are making the attempt to control the situation. People who don't want or like kids never really was going to be thrilled a kid was around them in the first place.

And for me, it's usually easy to tell how people feel. When I'm walking in the grocery store, kids in the cart, quiet or talking to me, people either

A: Smile at my children
    B: Look at them with a blank, stone dead expression.

I wonder who likes or dislikes children.
  • castadiva
    Like I said, it's common sense. But it's getting more and more apparent to me that people in this society either love children or they don't, often the childrens behavior is inconsiquential to their feelings.

How true - I see perfectly well-behaved children being scowled at and reprimanded simply for existing by adults who clearly don't like children every day. The most priceless example was on a bus at the weekend - an elderly lady reprimanded a toddler - I'd have guessed around a year old - for making a noise. The child was not being 'noisy' or disruptive - it simply dared to make a sound. I did feel like asking the lady, who then proceeded to have a very loud and lengthy conversation with her seatmate about 'children today, useless mothers, no discipline' etc., whether she expected the mother, who looked extremely embarrassed, to put a gag on her child before taking it out in public, but alas, having been taught to respect my elders, I stayed quiet.

Yes, one does see a lot of kids behaving badly. Yes, there are a lot of parents who seem to exercise no control over their childrens' behaviour (although given the mother mentioned in the OP had four kids to handle, perhaps she was dealing with something more urgent than a wandering five year old at the time), but what seems often to be forgotten is that children are as deserving of our respectful interaction as an adult is. We may have to simplify for them, or explain things that to an adult are implicit. We may have to make allowances for their as-yet-imperfect self-control (a fair few adults could do with some help on that one too - many of us would say that's why we're here!). Kids may still have things to learn, but if we treat them as second-class humans and frown at their temerity in moving or making a noise, and fail to explain why this offends or upsets us, can we realistically expect them to learn anything from us except to regard others as second-class humans too? There is a great deal of truth in the saying "It takes a village to raise a child". Anyone who interacts with a child is providing an example of some sort. Even if you don't like children, your example can be a positive one.
  • Grimmerick
    (although given the mother mentioned in the OP had four kids to handle, perhaps she was dealing with something more urgent than a wandering five year old at the time

She sure did have something more pressing to deal with and that was the conversation she was having with her husband and what looked like the grandmother. So no she was doing nothing but having a conversation. 3 adults at the table, they were there own village right there. I was not rude to the child I smiled at her(it was her mother I didn't have a big smile for and that was to let her know I didn't approve), and again It was not the childs behavior that I had a problem with because she is a child and she obviously hadn't been taught that, the ISSUE is the fact that her mother saw this behavior and it didn't even cross her mind that it was not appropriate and that maybe my fiance didn't want her daughters face under the table near his knees.

Yes kids are kids and you try to make allowances for them...................but I am speaking about the adults here.
  • castadiva
    OK then! Three adults should between them have realised that you weren't happy with the situation, whatever their personal view of a wandering five-year-old is - that's basic courtesy and being aware of your fellow humans. I just see so many people giving kids a hard time when they're not doing anything wrong, and it really bugs me. Adults do that, and then worry about 'disrespectful' kids, or wonder why so many kids have self-esteem issues. It seems self-evident to me that if adults model those behaviours to kids, and constantly put them down or tell them off, even when they're not doing anything wrong, that's the result you're going to get! Yes, there are out-of-control kids, but most of them are pretty good, most of the time.
  • Grimmerick
    I agree, I don't blame kids in those kind of situations they are kids. Haha the adults are a different story.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    I wonder if the mother would have been smiling at you if you had picked the kid up, sat her down at your table, and started treating her like she was your kid. OR if she would have been smiling if you weren't the person you are and instead were a child molester or kidnapper and you walked off with the kid while she was engrossed in her conversation. There was a comment made about this being a non-dangerous situation (sorry, I don't remember who). While the OP may not be a dangerous person, I have to disagree with that that statement. We don't know every person in the world and it's situations like this that create dangerous opportunities. I will be the first to admit, my husband and I both find kids amusing. We can go to a restaurant and my husband will start playing a version of "peek-a-boo" with younger kids where he will use me as a shield from the kid and then suddenly lean to one side so the kid can see him. Or the kid will use the back of the booth to hide behind and then pop up and find my husband making a face at them. BUT the kid is still with their parents in their own seat. While yes kids are curious and want to explore and learn (and I am all for encouraging that) there is also a time and place for everything.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    I'm failing to see how a kid wandering around, essentially unsupervised/the parent apparently doesn't give a crap, is considered safe.

Yes, kids are curious by nature. Even a lot of ADULTS are curious by nature. But the difference is, adults SHOULD have the common sense to know when and where it's appropriate. A child hanging off of a table, disrupting another, is not safe. What if the person/people they're disrupting are violent? Child molesters? Kidnappers? Also, what if there were knives at the table, and the kid accidentally stabbed themselves/someone else? What if they knocked a hot beverage on themselves/someone else? What if there was a food item they were highly allergic to on the table, and ended up touching? As someone who has worked in food serving in some way for the past 5+ years, I have to say, kids wandering around unsupervised is one of the biggest concerns. I've watched kids urinate and defecate on themselves because they couldn't find the bathroom after mommy told them to "find the bathroom themselves" and they couldn't and got scared. I've seen kids burn themselves because they're "innocently wandering" into the EMPLOYEES ONLY area and play with hot beverages and containers. My boyfriend is a butcher, and he recently told me that a little boy walked into the area where he was CUTTING MEAT, and the kid was literally running around in circles around him until he could clean up enough to walk the kid out of the cutting area. He found the dad, who just laughed it off and said "oh, sorry" and walked away like nothing happened. Kid walks into a room full of big knives, saws, and grinders...and dad doesn't even care.

Stuff like that is why it isn't safe for kids to invade others space, or be allowed to wander unsupervised, or at all, in certain places. Not because it's simply annoying, but because it's not safe.
  • Grimmerick
    Kimmy, true there was a steak knife on the table on her side about 15 inches from where her hands were. Didn't even think about that.
  • daffodilsoup
    I definitely don't ever blame the kids in this situation - I understand that for some kids, sitting down for an entire dinner and listening to adults talk can be boring. Just because I'm not particularly fond of children doesn't mean I expect them to act like adults - honestly, the reason I don't really like kids is because they make me nervous. Whenever I see them walking around a place like a restaurant, I am just constantly envisioning them getting hurt or tripped over, not because I have some sort of vendetta against children. I would feel awful if they got hurt - especially if it was them tripping and hitting their head against MY table or grabbing MY hot coffee. Then the kid starts crying and the whole restaurant looks over and there's a screaming kid next to my table...and you can just see how the scene escalates in my mind, haha.

I guess I don't see why the mother would rather have her kid wandering around than giving the child some crayons or a book she likes or some non-noisy toys. I understand that kids are kids, and honestly, it's okay that they're curious and all that, but there are just certain places they shouldn't be wandering around in - ESPECIALLY if their parents aren't watching them closely.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Kimmy, true there was a steak knife on the table on her side about 15 inches from where her hands were. Didn't even think about that.

Apparently her parents didn't think about it, either! lol
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Just do what I do. Order an iced tea and squirt the little beast in the eye with the lemon.

Alternatively I just say in a loud voice "hey, is this yours? yes, then make it go away."

I didn't have any fun creating your child there is no reason I should have to deal with it.
  • daffodilsoup
    Just do what I do. Order an iced tea and squirt the little beast in the eye with the lemon.

Alternatively I just say in a loud voice "hey, is this yours? yes, then make it go away."

I didn't have any fun creating your child there is no reason I should have to deal with it.

I...I think I love you.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I hate when allow their kids to do that.

Otherwise, I've pretty much trained my daughter that her butt is to be in the seat, we use inside voices, any whining, crying, or playing with food will not be tolerated. We will get up and go to the bathroom or outside. Maybe that sounds harsh but I've always been firm with her about how to act in public and she never gives me a problem....At home is a different story LOL

Ditto, my son is 4 and has only had ONE fit in public in his life. We weren't even inside the store yet but we turned right back around, got in the car and went home. No shopping trip that day! Other than that he is always and angel and knows he'll be in big trouble if he acts up in public.

He will even acknowldge other kids in public. If he heras a kid in a store throwing a fit he will say, "that's a bad boy/girl."
  • I'd accidently spill something hot. People need to watch their kids.
This discussion has been closed.