knitting project that is small, easy, and interesting

Options
i need a project to work on in between working on my second huge stocking (i get bored and have to put it down for a while - stockinette, stockinette, stockinette and more stockinette).

any suggestions?

Replies

• Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live, but around here, everyone is wanting fingerless gloves. They are quick, easy, and there are a variety of free patterns available on the internet. You can pretty much use left over yarn for the project so you don't have to buy new. I just made a really fun "fish hat." Also a free pattern on the net. I had to learn a new stitch, so I did a trial one first. Just started a new one for my grandson. I like the idea of the knit corset I saw on here, but I haven't been able to look at it on line yet..it's a blocked site here at work. Didn't get to it last night at home.
    I really want to make the Victorian fingerless gloves. I loved the look. Don't know if I have the skills. Here is the site for that:
    http://voknits.com/belle-ruffle-gloves/

Have fun~
  • Mustangsally1000
    Options
    Here is another site: http://tipnut.com/fingerless-gloves/ :flowerforyou:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Fingerless gloves are a great little project and they can be as interesting or boring as you want. There are patterns with cables, color work, lace...pretty much any technique you want. It can be a great way to learn a new skill. If you're on Ravelry use the search feature, there are tons on there! If you don't want to do fingerless gloves a hat is a pretty quick project and can have any of the above features too. I was sick last week so I was laying around a lot but i made four hats (and started a 5th!) in that time. Quick, instant gratification! :)
  • Mustangsally1000
    Options
    What is Ravelry? It's a blocked site here at the office, and I forgot to look when I was at home~
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Dish clothes and pot holders always work for me.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Here is another site: http://tipnut.com/fingerless-gloves/ :flowerforyou:

this is the perfect project! thanks so much; i would not have thought of it on my own. i love the victorian ones too.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Options
    let me know if you make the victorian ones. I wasn't ;sure i can do them.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    What is Ravelry? It's a blocked site here at the office, and I forgot to look when I was at home~

GASP! Ravelry is a site for knitters/crocheters and it is amazing. There is so much you can do with it, I don't even know where to start. you can keep track of your yarn/tools/books/projects with it. You can browse/search patterns. Say you want to make a hat. You can search for hats. Or if you want to knit an intarsia hat using sport weight wool yarn on size 4 needles, you can actually narrow the search down using those criteria. My favorite feature is that you can search for a yarn, then see every project made using that yarn.
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    PinUpGirlAtHeart Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've seen ravelry before, but I never joined. I've seen that you have to pay for patterns and whatnot, but is that for all patterns or are there some on there that are free?
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've seen ravelry before, but I never joined. I've seen that you have to pay for patterns and whatnot, but is that for all patterns or are there some on there that are free?
    The majority of patterns are free! Ravelry is awesome!!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Options
    I joined yesterday. :happy: Didn't have a chance to do much searching, but I'll get to that. I did fill out my profile tho... Thanks for telling me about it.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

I have never seen a free pattern on ravelry.
    guess I'm not looking in the right place(s).
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The majority of patterns aren't free, but when you do an advanced pattern search, you can check "free" and only the free ones show up. Without adding any other search criteria, there are almost 53,000 free patterns. I'd say that's enough to keep you knitting for quite a while. :laugh:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    They have an awesome search engine that you can refine to exactly what you need! I can go in and set the filters to show me only free knitting (or crocheting) patterns that have a picture, are in English, use 150-300 yards of worsted weight yarn in the hats category and have stranded color work (or whatever other parameters you choose to search by). I love their search functions and wish every website used something similar!

Another great thing about Ravelry is that you can get help if you get stuck. If I'm going to work on a pattern I look at the projects pages and see what other people have done. You get great ideas for altering the pattern and if you see the little life preserver it means the knitter/crocheter has included notes that others have found helpful. Sometimes this means they've clarified instructions, pointed out an error and fix or just gave helpful notes on what they did.

You must go let hours of your life slip away while you are enjoying the knitty/crochety goodness! :)
  • nhjhawk
    nhjhawk Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I have never seen a free pattern on ravelry.
    guess I'm not looking in the right place(s).

WHen you search, you can select to search only free patterns. I have knitted everything off of there from sweaters to hats and have never paid for a pattern.
  • lyntwhit
    lyntwhit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend "Circle Socks" by Anne Campbell. Here's the link on Ravelry:
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/circle-socks

It's a simple, but really unique pattern. I keep this knitting in the car so that I'll always have something to knit on hand. I'm working on a variegated pink pair. I'm 13oclockbroccoli on Ravelry.

(I really like to idea of the fingerless gloves too!)
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm busily knitting cowls for the women/girls and neck-warmers for the men/boys on my list. Each takes a day and a single skein of Shetland Chunky to knit. I'm in Edmonton Alberta, so they'll get lots of use.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    small things I knit (I love a portable project)
    fingerless mits choose any pattern your like - I have been doing some lacy ones
    and face cloths out of cotton yarn - I make them and soap and wrap the soap in the facecloth as part of a pamper hamper I make up to give as a gift
    lots of my friends will be getting one :)