Tummy Trouble

Options
beccalucy
beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
I'm having real issues with my tummy when running long distances, today I had to stop running and use a toilet in a garage because I couldn't run any further. I also often end up feeling sick for the rest of the day after my run.

Any ideas on how I can reduce this as I'm fed up of taking loperamide or pepto-bismol regularly (it does me no good!)

Replies

• T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wish i could offer some help but not sure what could be causing that?.

Are you eating the same foods before each run?
  • beccalucy
    Options
    I've tried changing foods, today I think it's because I've had a lot of fibre over the past few days but I don't think that's what's causing the nausea. It's just making me uncomfortable.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've a few runner friends this happens to, they take imodium before hand ( that's not a recommendation just what they do)
  • beccalucy
    Options
    Thank you, i currenly take imodium but I feel like I take it all the time and I'm not keen on that. Thank you for taking time to reply
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be drinking too much water that does it. Anything sloshing around can irritate your stomach. Now the weather's cooler you probably don't need to drink on a run less that an hour.

Experiment with what you eat beforehand - though I usually have cereal during the week, I'll have boiled eggs and toast before a long run, and a good hour beforehand.

You might find the nausea is a separate issue. If I run too fast or hard I overheat and get a thumping headache and nausea for the rest of the day and sometimes the next.

Hope you find a solution!
  • beccalucy
    Options
    I think water maybe contributing BerryH, I did a 14 miler drank less today and felt better. Although I also reduced dairy and fibre yesterday too so that could have helped.

I have a feeling the nausea is due to a number of things, am going to take some time to work out what.

Thank you
  • chribro
    chribro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Its a common problem, Runners trots. There is alot of advice on the Runners world site

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/default.asp?v=1

In the forums and in the articles. Just search for it and you might find something that will work for you.

Chris
  • beccalucy
    Options
    Thanks for the link! It's really useful