MFP Helps Me with My Game (NSV)

Options
dougstevens
dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
This is a NSV but instead of posting it on the main boards, thought the fellow tennis enthusiast would appreciate it more.

Background
Early this year, when starting MFP, I wanted to increase my activity level. Having been an active tennis player in years past, but away from the sport for so long, I thought I would join a few leagues. One of the leagues is known as Ultimate Tennis (a.k.a K-Swiss for some of the earlier members), www.ultimatetennis.com.

At the begging of the year, I was placed at a 3.0- level; and won only two matches of that spring season. However, as time went on, I was losing weight and playing more tennis. I had become a stronger player by the summer season. My attitude had changed. Tennis was becoming easier and my opponents were complimenting me on how often I ran down the balls.

Though, I had won all of my matches. Unfortunately, most of those matches went to three sets which did not have a huge impact on my rating. Therefore, for the fall season the league held me at the 3.0- level.

Now its the end of the fall season, I won every match in two sets! I am #1 in my division. But more surprising is that I am also #1 in the Atlanta league! Woohoo!

This time last year I could never thought of myself as a "champion." Its amazing how much stronger a person can become.

Wish me luck for the play-offs.

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    What an awesome NSV!! So much of tennis is good footwork and being able to get to tough shots and keep the point alive. I've also noticed my game has vastly improved since I've lost weight for these reasons, but I'm far from being a champion at my rating level...how cool!!

Best of luck to you in the play-offs!! Keep us posted on how you do!
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    See me next season (Winter/Spring 2012), I should be bumped up to 3.5 or 4.0.
    I will have to work harder for my points and, in turn, burn more calories. :smile:

Also, looking forward to hitting with higher rated players. Looking forward to developing better control, changing pace, adding more shots to my bag of tricks, and developing strategy (I have a funny feeling that the strategy at my current level will not work so well at the higher levels).

Good gosh, I'm actually looking forward to the challenge!
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Also, looking forward to hitting with higher rated players.

This is definitely something that helps one really develop. I play against mostly 4.5 women in my fall/winter league, and I've quickly learned to never give up on a point (because they can almost always return my good shots) and to stay more mentally focused because they rarely make mistakes or miss a chance to clobber one of my bad shots.

When do your playoffs start? Try to squeeze in some lessons or clinics too...might give you an extra leg up to really kick butt!!
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's great to hear and really inspiring! Congratulations on all of your hard work. My whole game has changed as a result of my weight gain. I'm no longer patient in points, because I worry that if the points last too long, I won't make it through the match. Having to account for lack of fitness in strategy is for the birds! Congrats again!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Such great and AMAZING news! I would love to do tennis competitively again!! You are a tennis inspiration!!

I cannot wait till I can play for hours again!
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're a solid 3.0 player ready to move into the 3.5s. A whole new different ball game. I would certainly recommend some 3.5 clinics and play only with solid 3.5 players. I assume you are playing doubles. Thats great you're #1 in your division.
  • mandakins79
    Options
    That is wonderful! Good luck in your upcoming tournament. :)
    Last year my 3.0 (though I played both 3.0 and 3.5) team made it to the nationals in Arizona. It was an amazing experience. But, I felt so out of place, since I was over 200 lbs and definitely didn't look as cute as the girls on my team in our coordinated outfits. They were by the pool in bikini's, while I had a cover up on. I play the #1 singles position on my team and am a pretty decent player (even with all this weight). I got bumped up to a 3.5 level after winning every match at the 3.0 level last year and 1/2 my matches at the 3.5 level. This year, I still maintained the #1 singles position at 3.5. I only dropped 2 of 10 matches (and both matches lost were close). We made it to districts. On my 4th match (at this point it was quarterfinals) in less than 48 hours (2 matches the day before were over 3 hours each) I had nothing. I was exhausted. I hadn't had a worse match the entire season. Next year I'll probably remain the #1 singles player of our 3.5 team. But I'm hoping that I will have gone from obese (I'm now just overweight) to healthy for my BMI. I hope I do not feel out of place with the rest of my team with our matching outfits and that it helps me to have the stamina for 4 matches in a 48 hour period!
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    Sounds like your on the right track. Good luck!