Low Impact Activities

Options
I just got back from the orthopaedist, who says no high impact activities for the next several months while they try to correct my knee tracking issue. As I currently do body combat, zumba, and running, this annihilates my entire gym routine. Any suggestions for low impact activities? Months of elliptical-only exercise is looking a bit dull...

Replies

• vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yoga - especially Bikram yoga! (I'm biased). This will give you a good cardio workout that is challenging and will help strengthen your knees.

Also, I'm sure your doc recommended bicycling, but I enjoy bicycling with a book, the gym tv and headphones or my iphone - it's easy to zone out and sort of forget you're at the gym :)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    skateboarding - pushing on a longboard is awesome!!!

You work your glutes and quads on the leg that's on the deck, and your core by maintaining the forward posture. Switch legs and go for a nice long push along the board walk to feel the burn!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Yeah I need help too with what is low impact. I went to the orthopedic doctor today and yet again he is going to ask for an MRI andsee if my insurance approves it this time. Sigh but he thinks the Meniscus...anyone ever have that issue?
  • pricer15
    pricer15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis and pseudogout (a chronic arithritic condition that is NOT gout). I take anti-inflammatory meds daily and need to lose 80-100 pounds. I recently got very expensive knee braces called 'off-loaders". My knees still hurt everyday, but the braces really help. I can walk, use a recombant bike, do light mini-trampoline work, and water aerobics without too much pain.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Swimming, biking, yoga, pilates, and rock climbing!