I suck at push-ups!

Options
Like you would not BELIEVE. I can barely do a single "regular" pushup. At first I was doing them from the knee and even that was difficult - I could do maybe five in a row and then I'd have to stop for a little rest. Then when I was reading my copy of NRoL over, I saw that it said not to do them from the knee because that doesn't work the core as much, so I tried doing them at an angle, leaning against a barbell on a Smith machine. It's still really difficult (and it was hard for me to tell if I was doing it right/whether it was working any muscles).

Please tell me I'm not the only person here who sucks at a really basic exercise!

Replies

• oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Want to see wimpy....then watch me do them!! I even struggle with the 45 degree ones, but I WILL get stronger....and so will you!!!!!

NROLFW rocks! :bigsmile:
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You will get stronger I promise!!! I started on the smith machine and worked my way down. I also had to change my form. I had my arms like a T and this works but I guess this is not the best or most efficient way to to a push up. I moved my hands down and elbows in closer to my body. I've been able to add more push ups....up to 15 now!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i also suck at push ups and i am doing session 4 right now. Just do your best.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing the incline push ups. Those are supposed to be the easiest, beside the one the knees ones. The more you do them the stronger you'll get. You'll be doing regular "man" pushups in no time!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Not real great at them either. I use a step and by the end of the set my arms are shaking.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Keep doing them and in no time you will be able to do them on the floor. I started at 45 degree angle, worked my way all the way to the ground.You can do it!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This is why we are all here! To get stronger!

Push ups are HARD.... and when they become less hard, you make adjustments to your form and then they become really HARD again!

I always shake at the end of my sets as I squeeze out the last couple of pathetic looking pushups, but I know I'm working the muscles.

Just keep at it, and you will see progress. It's worth it.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I used to be pretty good at them, or so I thought. After 7 years in the Army where I maxed my PT test by knocking out 50+ pushups in 2 minutes it was pretty easy to get back into doing them properly (meaning not on your knees) when I decided to gt back in shape. I did a few weeks of the 30 Day Shred and was pretty confident. And then I learned I have been doing them wrong for YEARS. I can't seem to master the technique with the arms in closer to my sides - in the military that form was considered the more challenging version and we only did them sporadicly. I can manage the 30 degree angle off a bench, but it doesn't feel challenging enough, but on the ground is still too hard. I can deadlift half my body weight now - you'd think this would be getting easier! I'm almost to level 4 now, and maybe it will be different.