will acceptance happen in our lifetime?

Options
do you think by the time your dead, will universal acceptance happen?

I hope so, though if I were to shake my conscientious 8-ball, it says "ask again later"

Replies

• thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    universal no, there will always be *kitten* out there with narrow minded views. but i do think we are getting to a point of almost mostly acceptance.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    is anything universally accepted? there's always going to be someone, somewhere who isn't going to like you for one thing or another. with that said, i'm thankful to be in a generally accepting city when it comes to being gay.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as Universal Acceptance... otherwise there wouldn't be any wars. :brokenheart:

I do think we live in an age where in most secular societies it is now totally acceptable to be openly gay/bi/pan/trans and not feel the need to lie about it.

Sadly, there are still many cultures which still condemn a person for not conforming to the man/woman/mono-theistic stereotype. But then so many things are condemned in the name of a certain belief or creed and that that should lead to suffering and discrimination is simply atrocious. :cry:
  • david581c
    Options
    Def. good points, "Universal" was a poor choice of word on my part, i suppose a better choice would be "general acceptance"
    Because here in california, people are used to the alternative life styles though theres a lot of casual everyday people that are amazed to see someone actually living a alternative lifestyle.

Though like everyone mentions, its probably much harder to come out or express oneself completely when living somewhere in the middle of the states.

Just wonder if by the time im like 70 or 80, will all of these people have it much much easier?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Sadly, no. I hope to be proven wrong, though.
  • clintondene
    clintondene Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I hope so, though if I were to shake my conscientious 8-ball, it says "ask again later"

This is sooo funny. I think it will happen, But it would be my luck that on the day it happens, the next I'll probably die. That are I'll be like 99 years old and won't be able to enjoy it.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Ya'know, its hard to tell where it'll be accepted and where it won't. I come from a small rural community, graduated in a class of only 98 students. There were 3 teenagers in our school that were/are gay. None of them came out in highschool but we knew. It was more than obvious to all of us and when they did finally come out, it was greeted with a, "well, duh...we already knew and we don't care"
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Before I came out as a pansexual I use to think the same thing...

Not about the LGBT community but because my son is mixed and ive always dated outside my race.

We are still struggling with racism and segragation was changed MANY years ago.

I wouldnt hold my breath, unless your ready to drown.

I will however always have hope.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say "Yes". But sadly ignorance is a great force in our world. While many are beginning to accept if not understand alternate life styles. There will always be some who just hate anyone who doesn't conform to their narrow views of normal. I do think it's better now than when I was in highschool. (Note: that's been a long time ago)

We're having a birthday party for my youngest daughter (13th) and are inviting her friends and our family. I tell my youngest that we're inviting her oldest sister and the gf. Tell her that she might want to let her friends know, and if they have a problem with it, they can just choose not to come. Youngest says "Oh, Mom..No one cares! Mason's mom is bi. 3 of the guys in my school are gay and there are girls that are lesbian or bi." The same conversation would not have gone on in my parents house in the 70's because they would have excluded any openly gay relative from attendance.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Options
    @dietingmommy---Some of my grandchildren are bi-racial and there are times that they and their parents experience the ignorance of others. All of my grandchildren, both the "white" and the "bi-racial" ones are great kids and will be wonderful adults. Hope someday they no longer have to contend with others hateful ingorance.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    I'd like to say "Yes". But sadly ignorance is a great force in our world. While many are beginning to accept if not understand alternate life styles. There will always be some who just hate anyone who doesn't conform to their narrow views of normal. I do think it's better now than when I was in highschool. (Note: that's been a long time ago)

We're having a birthday party for my youngest daughter (13th) and are inviting her friends and our family. I tell my youngest that we're inviting her oldest sister and the gf. Tell her that she might want to let her friends know, and if they have a problem with it, they can just choose not to come. Youngest says "Oh, Mom..No one cares! Mason's mom is bi. 3 of the guys in my school are gay and there are girls that are lesbian or bi." The same conversation would not have gone on in my parents house in the 70's because they would have excluded any openly gay relative from attendance.

I agree. I just graduated high school in 2004 and even then it seemed like it was as "open" in schools as it is these days.
    I find it kinda refreshing and hope that it becomes even more accepting as time goes on.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    @dietingmommy---Some of my grandchildren are bi-racial and there are times that they and their parents experience the ignorance of others. All of my grandchildren, both the "white" and the "bi-racial" ones are great kids and will be wonderful adults. Hope someday they no longer have to contend with others hateful ingorance.

My son is only 3 so he dont really "see" the things I see, such as the dirty looks or the snide lil comments that I get.

I moved into a new town trying to get away from the ghetto area that I grew up in, my FIRST day here I was told that I was "tainted" because I had been with a black guy. My son was only 1 at the time. Smh... It makes me sick that people think they just have the right to say whatever they please to somebody because of their choices. People dont have to accept who I am or what I believe in but be respectful about it & keep it to yourself.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Options

I agree. I just graduated high school in 2004 and even then it seemed like it was as "open" in schools as it is these days.
    I find it kinda refreshing and hope that it becomes even more accepting as time goes on.

Ok...You can all kick me or boo me if you want. So I used to worry about my now adult daughters and boys when they were teens. Now my 13yo has at a good friend (female) (one that I know of) who is bi. My first thought was great! Another thing to worry about.

I have told her there will be no teenage sexual activity in my house (hetero or homo). Her friend is still allowed to spend the night. What's a parent to do? I refuse to discriminate against this girl. I just want the clock to stop and my daughter to be a little kid for longer.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options

Ok...You can all kick me or boo me if you want. So I used to worry about my now adult daughters and boys when they were teens. Now my 13yo has at a good friend (female) (one that I know of) who is bi. My first thought was great! Another thing to worry about.

I have told her there will be no teenage sexual activity in my house (hetero or homo). Her friend is still allowed to spend the night. What's a parent to do? I refuse to discriminate against this girl. I just want the clock to stop and my daughter to be a little kid for longer.

Have you had a one on one conversation with your daughter about her sexuality? Just because her friend is Bisexual dont mean she is. Yet, if it hasnt happened now, it could in the future (not saying it will). I didnt find interest in a girl until I was 21. Just as long as she knows your accepting of it then things will be okay. Dont make her uncomfortable and dont shut it out altogether because u dont want her to keep it from you either.
    Have a talk with her. :o)