Increasing calories

Options
holly_v
holly_v Posts: 292 Member
So last time when i hit a wall i upped my calories a bit and lost a little. now im stuck again. My friend on MFP started these 2 threads a while ago which i was reading though last night.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/282320-caloric-intake-body-fat

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results

a couple weeks ago i posted on the last 10 lbs support thread that i was going to start focusing on body fat % and only got one response and it didnt make me feel like it was the right thing to do.

so after many messages back and forth my friend convinced me to up my calories to 1700 :noway: omg. so it might be hard because i havent had to shop for that much food right now and i pretty much know what i need for a week. i am putting away the scale for at least 2 weeks and will only take it out to weight myself once a week after that.

i think i will add a tab to my/our chart for body fay 5 if people want to join me in that too. i use this calculator

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    So last time when i hit a wall i upped my calories a bit and lost a little. now im stuck again. My friend on MFP started these 2 threads a while ago which i was reading though last night.

We are in the same boat! I was in a 2 month long plateau and upping my calories to a 0.5 lb/week loss (which gave me 1600 calories) snapped me out of it. I am now stuck again (ARGHHHH) so I tried upping my calories again to maintenance (1800). Guess what? Still stuck! I haven't lost or gained an ounce in over 2 months. I am not sure if I am still plateauing or actually maintaining, though I suspect the former. From researching on other websites, I suspect MFP has my maintenance calories set awfully low, as 5 other sites put me at 2000-2100 calories to maintain. My goal for the next few weeks is to eat as close to 1800 as possible, as usually I end up undershooting and only eating 1600 calories or so.

I would love to hear what ends up working for you and others to break the (hopefully) last and final plateau!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to use Army or Marine calculations? the Marines were SO much nicer to me! :laugh: My BF calculated much higher than I thought it would! 23.65 by the Marines and 27.65 by the Army. Also, everything had to be entered in whole numbers. BIG difference between a 6 or 6.3 wrist I would think. You know I don't want to believe it!! Gonna have to face the facts! :noway: I'll add mine if you want to do this!
  • holly_v
    Options
    i started a new tab at the botton on the spreadsheet, it says "sheet 2" i cant remember which i used. its the first number it gives you on the link i sent.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Are you planning to use Army or Marine calculations? the Marines were SO much nicer to me! :laugh: My BF calculated much higher than I thought it would! 23.65 by the Marines and 27.65 by the Army. Also, everything had to be entered in whole numbers. BIG difference between a 6 or 6.3 wrist I would think. You know I don't want to believe it!! Gonna have to face the facts! :noway: I'll add mine if you want to do this!

I've recommended several friends to buy the fat calipers on ebay. They are so cheap. If I didnt have these I wouldnt have known by the scale what I was doing was actually working. Now the caluclations I got with my calipers were a lot lower than all the sites caluclations on the internet. Sooooo....as long as I am using the same tool I will just keep using it as long as I see a drop it really doesnt matter what calculation i use. Honestly the ones on the internet REALLY depressed me and had I taken all those to heart I would have fallen off the wagon once again.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've recommended several friends to buy the fat calipers on ebay. They are so cheap. If I didnt have these I wouldnt have known by the scale what I was doing was actually working. Now the caluclations I got with my calipers were a lot lower than all the sites caluclations on the internet. Sooooo....as long as I am using the same tool I will just keep using it as long as I see a drop it really doesnt matter what calculation i use. Honestly the ones on the internet REALLY depressed me and had I taken all those to heart I would have fallen off the wagon once again.

You're 100% right - once you're using the same tool to calculate it, it doesn't matter what calculation you're using. It's all relative. I'm so glad the calipers are working for you and that they've encouraged you to continue with what you're doing!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    I found a measurement calculator on-line that connects to a spreadsheet for calculations. I liked this one because it used weight/ waist at the belly button/ wrist/ hip/ and forearm on a site by Dave Draper. The link is www.davedraper.com/body-fat-calculator.xls

It was easy to enter my numbers and the measurements are easy to take. I was able to save the spreed sheet so I can enter my calculations for next time. (They recommended every 3 weeks)

This will be the first time I am tracking my bodyfat. Looking forward to it!
  • holly_v
    Options
    I found a measurement calculator on-line that connects to a spreadsheet for calculations. I liked this one because it used weight/ waist at the belly button/ wrist/ hip/ and forearm on a site by Dave Draper. The link is www.davedraper.com/body-fat-calculator.xls

It was easy to enter my numbers and the measurements are easy to take. I was able to save the spreed sheet so I can enter my calculations for next time. (They recommended every 3 weeks)

This will be the first time I am tracking my bodyfat. Looking forward to it!

i cant open that link you shared but just so you know, i shared a link too and its also very easy to enter in your starts
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    I bet you have to have Excel to open it. I think everyone can use their own measurements for BF as long as they stick with the same measuring device whether it is one of these charts or calipers or a scale etc. The link you have works for me, it just was a little meaner to me :tongue: I guess I just have to face the facts. :brokenheart: I was not excited to see my bf in that range! I would like to have someone do the calipers for me but I'm not in a health club and I don't think DH will enjoy "pinching " me! (Or maybe he will!) :laugh:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I bet you have to have Excel to open it. I think everyone can use their own measurements for BF as long as they stick with the same measuring device whether it is one of these charts or calipers or a scale etc. The link you have works for me, it just was a little meaner to me :tongue: I guess I just have to face the facts. :brokenheart: I was not excited to see my bf in that range! I would like to have someone do the calipers for me but I'm not in a health club and I don't think DH will enjoy "pinching " me! (Or maybe he will!) :laugh:

LOL...yeah hubbie wasnt too thrilled doing the calipers for me so I just had him do my tricep and I did the other 2 sites. I know it wont be exact but as long as I use the same tool and the same spots I will know if I'm at least changing. Oh and if I keep taking transformation pics.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those of you who have increased calories:

I have done it in the past and it always resulted in weight loss. Now that I am close to goal and playing around with numbers to see where my maintenance level is, at what point do I determine that I am actually gaining weight and back down again?

For instance, I started eating what MFP considers my maintenance (1800 calories) on Monday. Today I weighed in and am up 1 pound (148 lbs). Normally a 1 pound increase wouldn't bother me either way but being that I just increased my calories, I am suspect. Do I do this for another week and if I gain again, cut my calories back?
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those of you who have increased calories:

I have done it in the past and it always resulted in weight loss. Now that I am close to goal and playing around with numbers to see where my maintenance level is, at what point do I determine that I am actually gaining weight and back down again?

For instance, I started eating what MFP considers my maintenance (1800 calories) on Monday. Today I weighed in and am up 1 pound (148 lbs). Normally a 1 pound increase wouldn't bother me either way but being that I just increased my calories, I am suspect. Do I do this for another week and if I gain again, cut my calories back?

I am having the same thing happen as I increased my calories from 1250 to 1450 to try and get progress moving again. So far I have been at it 10 days and my weight has stayed pretty much the same (normal fluctations) so I am giving it another week or so to see what direction I finally go.
  • holly_v
    Options

i finally got the draper one to open on my tablet. the one i was using before changed and wasnt asking enough measurements i felt. but i am waiting for my calipers in the mail!
  • holly_v
    Options
    since increasing calories i have lost .9% body fat in 2 weeks!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    hell, that is VERY impressive!! Very!

I am getting out the measuring tape this weekend. Hubby will measure me up. And then, I'll do it every couple of weeks. I'm working on my body fat % too...
  • holly_v
    Options
    hell, that is VERY impressive!! Very!

I am getting out the measuring tape this weekend. Hubby will measure me up. And then, I'll do it every couple of weeks. I'm working on my body fat % too...

thanks. i also increased weight lifting
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    YAY! So happy for you!!! Its amazing that eating more makes us lose.
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! yay to eating!
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know since I have upped my calories the weight has been coming.It has been coming off slowly but at least it is coming off:happy:
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the acronym TDEE stands for?
  • holly_v
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the acronym TDEE stands for?

below is from another thread in this group. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/404125-i-get-it-now?page=1#posts-5577432
    all this math you are doing is sending me into anaphylaxis!

i dont get this deficit stuff and i dont know what TDEE is.

Haha - I know. The math is a little much, but I've been at a plateau for a couple of months and have tried nearly everything to get off it - finally went to a nutritionist recently, and it's all starting to click into place.

Basically, TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure - how many calories you burn in the day. There are three things which contribute to your TDEE:

1) BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) - which is a simple calculation based on your age, gender and weight. This is the number of calories you would burn if you were bed ridden (in a coma) - what your body requires for basic organ functioning.

2) Daily Activity - this is how active you are, not including exercise. Usually it's your BMR multiplied by 1.2 (for Sedentary) all the way up to 1.9 (for very very active)

3) Purposeful exercise - the calories you burn working out.

To lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit (eat less than your TDEE). For me, my BMR is 1515, Daily Activity level for light activity (multiply by 1.3) = 1970. Add in daily exercise for TDEE - today I ran 8 miles and walked my dog for 3 miles (I burned 1123 calories doing those 2 things).

So...BMR x activity level (1.3) + exercise calories = TDEE
    1515 x 1.3 + 1123 = 3,093. If I ate 3,093 calories I would maintain my weight. If I want a 1000 calorie deficit for today I need to eat 2,093 calories. If I created a 1000 calorie deficit for 7 days in a row, I would lose 2 pounds.