What do you normally hike in?

Options
I am a big fan of Merrell's- have some trail runners for light hiking/trail running and a couple pairs of hiking shoes (gore-tex), Teva sandals for the summer and when I am going to be around a lot water. Love Keen's but tend to run too wide in the ankles.

Out of curiousity, I was actually out hiking a couple weekends ago at a local state park and was surprised by how many people were hiking in jeans! I love jeans, but for hiking they are so heavy and restrictive and just don't wick very well at all...at least for me, do you guys ever wear jeans on the trail?

Replies

• JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    During the summer, I hike in my Keens with no socks or my Merrell cross-trainers, which are made of mesh. For longer, more serious hikes, and during the cooler months I wear my Birkenstock boots with wool socks. Usually, I wear synthetic hiking pants or yoga pants. Also, I try to go synthetic up top and wear several layers. Sometimes I'll wear a cotton shirt, but I try to avoid it most of the time. Jeans are terrible on hikes. I have actually seen people climbing 14ers wearing jeans and carrying nothing but a water bottle. I don't mean to be a snob, but I kinda chuckle about it. It's not very smart, especially in Colorado where it can snow any month of the year. For intense or long hikes, I make sure I carry the 10 essentials. It's important to be prepared. I think preparedness is the big difference between novice and experienced hikers.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The first thing I thought of was hike naked day! ok I will get my mind out of the gutter now

I am currently hiking in Keen Boots, I must say they were comfortable from the first time I put them on. I wear smartwool socks always and different sock weights depending on the time of year. Always wear nylon pants usually Mountain Hardwear pants because they fit decent and are sometimes long enough for my long legs. Shirts? varies but always something moisture wicking and will hike in a down vest if it is really cold.

BTW heard good things about Merrell's they may be my next pair, I have had Asolo's before and they were okay
  • catch1331
    Options
    I hike in Vibram five fingers, I had knee surgery when I was younger and my hiking boots really bother my knee. I havent had any knee issues since i want to the vibrams, took a little while to break in my feet. I wont hike in anything else
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Depends on where I am. In Vegas it's tennis shoes for the most part (Red Rock as lots of sandstone) and sweats and t-shirt. In Oregon (summers) I have Vasque for trails that don't need ankle support, and EMS for lava and mountains. Layers are always nice but I don't have any fancy clothing materials. Lots of water for both places, Nature Valley bars and grapes, gps, leatherman.
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    I love Merrells! They are my trail shoe of choice. I usually opt for yoga pants, too....not sure how people can hike in jeans!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've got Mendl boots that I love, but I also have a series of Salewa trail shoes for less difficult terrain.

I hike in Mammut pants usually and some sort of functional wicking shirt and usually a Mammut softshell jacket. I'm all about layers though since the weather can vary drastically. The most important for me is my functional Falke underwear. I'd be seriously lost without it. Haha.

But I cannot imagine hiking in jeans. I've seen people trying to climb up rock walls in jeans and it always blows my mind.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For hot to moderate weather light hiking, I absolutely love my Keen sandals, but the thing is, I don't think they make the model I have anymore. It may have been called "the Boulder", but I am not certain even about that, and I don't see it on their website. I see a water sandal called the Owyhee that looks very similar but again, not sure it is exactly what I have. Mine looks like a typical Keen Newport sandal, but it has more protection at the heel and feels much more stable with less lateral movement at the back of the foot because of the extra material there. The soles are rugged enough to handle any terrain, and for low or no load hiking, they are perfect for me.

For other hikes and hikes under load, I have a pair of Asolo 520s that I have had for about 13 years or so and they have held up exceptionally well, despite me severely mistreating them for a few years by keeping them in the trunk of my car constantly. I am taking better care of them now (not keeping them in the trunk anymore!) and paying particular attention to trying to keep the leather around the eyelets strong, as I think any tearing or disintegrating there would be the only reason to retire the boots.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I live in the PNW - gortex is my friend. For backpacking trips, I have a pair of Scarpas which I love. All leather with a gortex lining, so it doesn't matter how wet it is out, and they have great ankle support. For dayhikes/walks etc, I love my Merrells...also lined. And for the summer quick trips and around the camp my 5-fingers rule.
    It blows my mind the number of people I see out hiking in jeans - and I get out to the back country! I have friends on the local SAR team, and I think I would be shunned should I try hiking like that...or in cotton (want to see something amusing? Ask a SAR medic about cotton clothing and hiking) So, I go with nylon shorts or soft shell pants (depending on the season) +/- long underwear (silk or polypro). On top, a moisture wicking shirt layered with (as necessary) a fleece shirt, down sweater and gortex jacket. And of course, can't forget the gloves and hat which are in the pack 12 months of the year. On my feet - silk liners and smartwool sox. Its all so comfortable, I wouldn't mid wearing this stuff to work sometimes!!
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    For those of you who wear Merrell, are you familiar with their "Barefoot" series...I am thinking about getting some for trail running...any feedback?

I've been wanting to get Mammut pants, just waiting to get some on sale. = )
  • AvocadoPit
    AvocadoPit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will go hiking in jeans a lot of the time. But when I go hiking, it always includes at least 2 nights in windshields that we carry with us. Therefor, I need to bring as little clothes as possible, since the more you carry the heavier your bag (usually ends up being between 20 and 25 kg anyways when you have to carry the windshield, the water the food and so on). And the clothes need to be tough enough to handle everything that the day will through at me from beginning to end!

I live in Sweden, and unless its in the summer, it is usually not very warm and pretty rainy or snowy here, so it is important to always dress in layers! My long johns and the shirt that goes with it are my best friend. They pretty much come on friday night before we leave and don't come off until we get home again. Dubbles as pyjamas! Then jeans and t-shirt over that, and depending on weather, waterproof pants, shell jackets and maybe a couple of more sweaters.

But yeah, hiking in jeans work. May be warm sometimes, and not fun to get wet, but they can get through anything. You don't have to worry about breaking them when you do all of the other stuff that comes with the outdoor lifestyle!
  • veronicastelo
    Options
    My massive, thick leather, gortex boots with thick wool socks regardless of the season due to my fear of snakes. I ran into a Brown snake on the weekend while hiking in the Royal National Park just south of Sydney, so even though I was hot and sweaty i'm glad I had them on.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I never hike in cotton! How miserable!

No matter the weather or terrain I hike in my heavier, 1-pc-upper Scarpas. I have really weak, rolly ankles. Even if the trail is fairly gentle and has fairly few obsticles I will find a way to roll an ankle. In the summer I just wear good wool socks to keep my feet from getting too hot. Also, if I always hike in the same boots I never have to worry about them not being sufficiently worn-in for a week-long 14er trip.
  • kydogwalker
    kydogwalker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    HI,

My favorite are my Merrell Waterpro's, followed by Lowa boots. I have really wide and flat feet but not wide ankles, so I have to be careful in choosing my shoes. I can't wear sandals for hiking because they don't support the flat feet enough - sucks.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I am currently hiking in (men 's) Timberland hiking boots with wool socks or Injinji performance (toe) socks. They REALLY help keep my feet blister-free, which has always been a problem for me in the past. I wear women's size 12, which in nearly impossible to find, so i get stuck in men's boots most of the time, but my feet are NARROW which makes me a tricky fit, as men's boots tend to be wider than i need. I dream of Merrel's or Keen's but i think they only come up to size 11 and while they MIGHT work, they'd have to be tried on for sure!

As for clothes, its always non-cotton clothing: tank/long-sleeved performance top/fleece up top then usually my EMS hiking (convertible) pants.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Shoes: Timberland/ Teva water shoes/ leather moccasins
    Socks: Wigwam
    Pants: Columbia convertable
    Shirts:50/50 blend t-shirts
    Underneath it all: Underarmour, it wicks away the sweat and keeps the pack from "biting" me.

Hiking in Florida presents many challenges, including lots of water and "squishy" conditions. I NEVER hike in jeans as they would never dry out in the humidity down here.

When its cold: polartec from LL Bean, its great for a wide range of temperatures. I've seen it go from 28 degrees at night to the mid to upper 70's in the day.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I see people hiking out here in jeans & tennis shoes & a bottle of water in hand. Heading up to icey conditions or possible rain

Boots: I always stub my toes or tweek my ankles so I always wear boots.
    Pants: Short Easy Hike with good weather I will sometimes wear duo dry yoga pants. In harsh winter weather REI gortex pants & coat.
    Shirts: Always duo dry tank top & tee shirts
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    do you guys ever wear jeans on the trail?

Once. I wore jeans on the trail...once! :laugh:

I don't have a lot of 'designated' gear, so I usually wear some of the same items for hiking that I wear for running: layers of wool or synthetic wicking clothing. I am a huge fan of wool socks! I love my Vasque hiking boots - I bought a pair for a backpacking trip and found that they required no break-in time. I wear them on day hikes b/c I tend to turn my ankles. As my fitness improves, I hope to do more trail running and will switch to different shoes for that of course.

ETA: No, I don't wear running shorts on the trail. I think I need to buy some wicking pants that fit an insulating layer underneath.
    Or maybe insulated pants - I am looking for maximum versatility. I've been wearing ancient snowboarding pants for winter hikes/snowshoeing (cumbersome) and hiking shorts for summer. Clearly I need something in-between. Any thoughts?
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I think I need to buy some wicking pants that fit an insulating layer underneath. Or maybe insulated pants - I am looking for maximum versatility. I've been wearing ancient snowboarding pants for winter hikes/snowshoeing (cumbersome) and hiking shorts for summer. Clearly I need something in-between. Any thoughts?

I have a pair of nylon/spandex pants (Eddie Bauer?) that have a fleece insulating layer built in. I could wear a baselayer under (or not) depending on my needs. THey are warmer than regular hiking pants, but less so than snowpants. A happy medium. I am sure other brands make similar pants as well...