Planning Ahead

Options
Being pro-active with my meal and snack plans gives me a much greater chance of staying on track. I love how this program breaks down what you are getting as far as important vitamins, fat, sugar and protein. What are your secrets for staying on plan with limited time?

Replies

• bfrederick3015
    bfrederick3015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree, planning ahead is critical. I plan for the week before I do the grocery shopping. This way I have everything I need to make the meals I want for my family. Also, I have some easy fall-back foods (fresh and frozen veggies, frozen veggie and/or turkey burgers, and home-cooked frozen meals like chicken chili) that my husband or I can make quickly or just heat in case either of us has to stay late at the office.
  • dsnoey
    dsnoey Posts: 23
    Options
    I guess my job would be easier if it weren't for my husband who thinks he will die if he doesn't have a substantial chunk of meat. I am at the point where I put a healthy meal on the table and if he doesn't like it...he knows where the pantry and freezer are.
  • MarcilynJ
    Options
    I have the same problem with my husband wanting a big meal and I am trying to keep my calories down and eat healthy. I talked to him and explained I need him to support my goals and if he wants to eat something besides what I make for myself then he is free to have whatever he wants, but I explained I need to stay focused on my goals. At this point, they shouldn't expect us to cook for them constantly anyways. We work too. Also, I have several vegetarian recipes that he has come to really enjoy.
  • MarcilynJ
    Options
    Also, I plan out my meals the night before and pack my lunch for work. If I have to eat out with a client or vendor for lunch, I try to look at the restaurant menu ahead online and pick out something nutritious that fits my calorie goal. If they don't have an on-line menu or post calories, I do my best guess. That way, when I get to the restaurant, I am already on task and don't get side-tracked looking at all the tasty choices on the menu or order in a hurry.

I have a variety of foods on hand that can make a quick, healthy dinner in 20 min or so. One recipe is I fry chickpeas in olive oil, season them with lemon pepper, with a side of brown rice and vegetables. That is always super healthy and fast. My meat-eating husband even really likes it because of the seasoning and it is good! I also like to cook up double batches of things for two nights, like a big giant pot of brown rice that can be used for several meals.

Also, I track my water each day, and that itself keeps me reminded all day to stay focused on being healthy.

I think it 's important not to forget either the value of taking care of ourselves. I think sometimes it is pushed to a low priority. I have just started moving exercise and eating right above other things that are important, too, and it all seems to be getting done. Something has to give, it shouldn't be my health. I would have a giant list and exercise would always be at the end. I put it up front now and it gives me more energy for the rest of the day.
  • crsandoval
    crsandoval Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have some of the same issues. If I didn't have to feed my family I think I would be on better track :-) I do see when I plan what my meal for dinner and its something simple to make after I get home from work and getting the kids I tend to stay on track for the whole day.
  • dsnoey
    Options
    Love this!!! Thanks for the ideas!
  • dsnoey
    Options
    I am making homemade "gifts in a jar" for Christmas gifts and I made a beautiful layered Rainbow Bean Soup which I put in the crock pot this morning. I'll bake some quick biscuits for my husband and probably add a salad or I have some brussel sprouts I need to use. I'll eat the soup for lunch throughout the week.
  • dsnoey
    Options
    I think if we give each other ideas and keep encouraging us to "take care of ourselves" above all, it will be beneficial to all of us!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I guess my job would be easier if it weren't for my husband who thinks he will die if he doesn't have a substantial chunk of meat. I am at the point where I put a healthy meal on the table and if he doesn't like it...he knows where the pantry and freezer are.

I have the same issue with my significant other, who I also share an apartment with. He has terrible eating habits and for years it rubbed off onto me (resulting in a 30 lb gain over the course of almost 6 years). Now that I am doing something about it, he basically has to fend for himself, food-wise, if he doesn't want to eat the healthier meals that I am making.
  • dsnoey
    Options
    I have had a week where it has been literally impossible to stay on top of my eating and I'm now back to "normal"! (Whatever that is.) I had a good compromise dinner tonight--made orange chicken for my husband and brown rice for both of us. I added organic black bean soup to the rice and that was my main course. I'm feeling much better if I eat mostly vegetarian, so we both had a big salad as a side dish. It was good and fairly easy as the orange chicken was a frozen concoction from Costco. Today was a good day all around and if you want to snoop on my day, just check it out.
  • nlkoelle
    nlkoelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat -- busy work day + 1 hour commute. I just started this journey with MFP on 2/1. I have some additional health issues, but am finding this site and the accompanying Android app to be great.

I agree - planning ahead helps me stay on track. I'm not good yet about planning more than a day or two in advance, but I definitely like making extra so that I can then portion out my lunches for the week. I also cut fresh veggies (radishes, carrots, green pepper, celery) and portion in snack-size or sandwich-size ziplock bags. It makes grabbing my lunch in the morning very easy. I also have snacks like unsweetened (homemade) applesauce in 1/2 cup portions, light string cheese, and medium-size apples on hand.

I started out with celery and 2T. peanut butter as my go-to snack, but the calories in the peanut butter are kind of crazy... so this week I'm switching to fat-free ranch. Most veggies I can eat plain, but I'm not a fan of plain celery.