Options
UrbanRunner81
UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
What's up for this week?

Replies

• sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    training...need to start increasing my mileage...kinda stuck at 5-6 miles, have the 1/2 coming in march. i got my garmin this week, i was having issues with the satellites being pickup on my long run sunday, so only ended up and 4.5 miles and really frustrated that i could not get it to work properly. need to get it figured out. I have a shiver run this sunday, it is a 5 or 10 k, think i am just doing the 5k since i have a friend with me that has not ran a race in a very long time. need to check the weather for this weekend
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    Yesterday I ran 8 miles (PDR and negative splits - isn't that what its called when each mile is faster than the previous?)... awesome run! I tried some Gu for the first time but... yuck, not for me! I didn't like the texture at all. It took me a while to get it all down. The last few runs I have been using gummy bears - I need to find some chews to try out. Today I ran 2 miles pushing the double jogging stroller. I always forget how much I hate it until I use it! It adds so much resistance - I was running 3 miles/mile slower than what I do alone. I understand I will be slower, but it was like a full body workout pushing it! My shoulders even hurt! I am trying to talk DH into getting another one (this one was given to us by my parents, I think they found it on the side of the road... I'm sure it was there for a reason! LOL) but hes kinda iffy about it right now. I am a little frustarated with how hard my run was today, but at least I got out there and did it! Next run is on Wednesday AM, 6 mile tempo run. Training for my first half marathon in February! Happy running to everyone!!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Yesterday was a 5.5 mile run in the rain & cold. I did negative split it and was happy about that but still a slower pace than I would have liked. It was a great mental hurdle for me though in that I live in the south, where I can run in 90+ degrees on a regular basis so even a 50 degree run feels cold. Now that it's getting to be winter here, it has just been so hard to convince myself to get out and run in the cold and the elements. Glad I have that one behind me and can remind myself of that next time I don't want to run.

Like sunleigh, I have a 1/2 coming up in March & I got a Garmin this week, haha! Except I don't "get" my Garmin until Christmas...I'm SOOOO excited to get it! It'll give me so much more freedom to not have to map a run before I go to figure out the miles and I can watch my pace constantly--I can't wait!

Seesaey--I LOVE Gu! I live off of it! LOL but it is definitely an acquired texture. I'm picky in that I can only do Clif Bars (original Clif bars not these new ones...) and Gu. Hope you find something that works for you though!
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This week is taking it easy and playing around with my new Garmin. Probably do some run / walk rounds... maybe hill training...and the elliptical to give my legs a bit of a "rest" from the intense running and training I have been putting them through. Knowing my luck, I will probably end up running instead but I know I should probably consider taking it slightly easy.

I need to get into my hybrid training of strength and cardio (using the p90x) but I just want to take it slightly easy this week. We will see what I end up doing :)
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Same here , I "got" a Garmin but won't actually "get" it 'till Christmas,lol. For now I map my run online but it's kind of useless as I can only really estimate my pace during any particular segment of the run. My map looked like about 14km today, in the pouring rain, so, not too bad:)
    And bstamps12, I envy your weather soooo much! This week I have had to run in all kinds of temperatures from as low as 8 degrees below zero to today when it was a balmy 8 degrees above zero, lol!
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    Just finished a 12 mile, planning on a long run tomorrow. Not sure exactly how long, I'm waffling between routes-it will be somewhere between 24-26 miles (and I don't have to go to work afterwards this time!
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Okay I know I shouldn't gloat but it does feel so good to be heading into summer here. Don't worry, while you guys were wallowing in sunshine I was struggling to get out on frosty mornings!

Hey I too have just ordered a Garmin! It has to be sent via someone else in the US so hopefully it will arrive by Christmas. I am so incredibly excited about it! I still get little flurries of excitement when I think about it. Geek!

I ran up a local hill in the rain and drizzle last night. Usually I find it hard to get out if it's raining, but I actually really enjoyed it. Apart from the fact that my breathing at the moment is really uncomfortable on hills. I have breathing issues, so it's just something I deal with.

Now that I've decided to run 6 days a week I find myself really looking forward to my daily 'fix'. Do I sound like an addict or what?!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'll accept any gloating over great weather, as long as I can so be jealous - I hate cold and wet. It was 12 this Am, and thick frost everywhere :(

This week: (ok it's almost 1/2 way)
    Monday: Hip Hop Abs Ab Sculpt and 30 minutes on Bike before work, Physical therapy at lunch (sure that counts as fitness, they work me hard) and Tai Chi after work.
    Tuesday: 30 min of PT exercises, 30 minutes of Kettlebell before work, 3 mile run at lunch, Intervals (3x1600m) after work
    Wednesday: 30 Min PT, 30 Minutes on Bike in AM, PT at lunch, Tai Chi after work
    Thursday: 30 Min PT and Core Synergistics AM, 3 mile run at lunch, 6 mile tempo run after work
    Friday: Rest Day - YogaX
    Saturday: 11 mile Run
    Sunday: Rest Day - Yoga X - OR Hopefully P90X2 will have arrived and I can begin this program.

My teen babysiter asked me to help her run a 5K in 3 weeks - well almost 2 now - so we are running on Tue and Thurs and she runs at the gym the other days. I'm SOOO proud of her for taking on this running challenge. She's athletic, but has never ran, "I" inspired her (blush). My 12 yo is running it with us.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I had such a great run this morning (6 miles, finished it in around 11m average pace, which is definitely the fastest I've run for that distance), and I've been trying to work out what made this one feel so good.... I think it's likely to be a combo of:
    - new running music which kept me on pace. I find that I tend to go slower and slower when I'm not conciously thinking about pace, but having upbeat music really helped.
    - feeling like a real runner with my new pink Nathan triangle water bottle carrier and a Nuun tablet in the water.
    - glorious sunshine after big summer storms yesterday and no wind to slow me down
    - my pink Ironman sunvisor which means my head stays cooler than wearing a cap.

Or maybe it was just a freak day where everything came together :smile:
  • mlb929
    Options
    - new running music which kept me on pace. I find that I tend to go slower and slower when I'm not conciously thinking about pace, but having upbeat music really helped.
    - feeling like a real runner with my new pink Nathan triangle water bottle carrier and a Nuun tablet in the water.

Have you tried the PodRunner Ap? It sets music by BPM and also has interval options. I generally run with music I can sing along to in my head, but when I put on of the 60 minute sets with 180BPM, I ran 30 seconds faster MPM than I had been on long runs.
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I had a 5mile run/walk on Sunday which I averaged 5mph, I can't seem to get above that yet. I did 7miles today, also at 5mph. Not that I'm complaining because when I started running I ran at a 4.5mph pace. Now I walk that :)
    've only got 4.5
    I have another 4miles tomorrow and 6miles Saturday.

I have a 10miler in March and a half in April that I'm training for. I only have 4.5weeks left of half training, then I'm going to take a 2 week break from running and then start up full marathon training if all goes well. I hope to complete 2 half marathons and a full by this time next year :)
  • mlb929
    Options
    My schedule got changed up a little. I ended up doing back to back days on intervals and then a tempo run - YIKES it killed me. I'd started yesterday with 25 miles on the bike, did Physical Therapy at Lunch - and ran a 6 mile tempo run on the treadmill last night. I figured out I had a work meeting tonight and could not run after work. So instead, started the day with my PT exercises, I have to get up 30 minutes earlier to do these. Then I did P90X XStretch. After 2 days of speed work, I needed a break this AM. Not sure I will get my Core Syng in at lunch like I hoped, since I opted out of skipping my lunch run due to not wanting to overtain. Back on schedule tomorrow. I think flexibility in my training is so important.

Who's with me for a long run on Saturday - 11 to 13 miles. My third half marathon is only 13 weeks away :)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    50 minute run yesterday. It felt good while doing it but today my left ankle tendon is very much displeased. Any advice? I stretch and calve raise...
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    32 degrees this am in the ATL... So I set out for a run. I did a heavy duty lower body weight training session yesterday so I took it slow, and that combined with the cold weather, I didn't hit my rhythm until mile 4... It was my longest run since my half 2 weeks ago... 9.5 miles. I though about going for 10, but I was within a short cool down of my house, and decided to go for double digits another day.

Rest or light crosstraining tomorrow, some medium distance runs this weekend.
  • mlb929
    Options
    Got my 11 mile run in today - on the treadmill. I've never been much of a treadmill runner, but it's black ice and freezing fog and 14 degrees, just simply wasn't safe for me to be out there, so figured it was better than no running. I actually found reasons to enjoy it. It's good for me to do a steady pace, I generally run up and down areas that have hills, so just flat steady running really could have it's benefits. It was really warm in the house tho and I finally opened to door for fresh air :)

I just got P90X2 and am so looking foward to starting just not sure how to incorporate it into training yet.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Got my 11 mile run in today - on the treadmill. I've never been much of a treadmill runner, but it's black ice and freezing fog and 14 degrees, just simply wasn't safe for me to be out there, so figured it was better than no running. I actually found reasons to enjoy it. It's good for me to do a steady pace, I generally run up and down areas that have hills, so just flat steady running really could have it's benefits. It was really warm in the house tho and I finally opened to door for fresh air :)

I just got P90X2 and am so looking foward to starting just not sure how to incorporate it into training yet.

I commend you for doing 11 on the treadmill! That takes some mental stamina as well! Glad you got your run in and didn't risk running outside. :)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Ran Bedford Half today: PB, 1h40m06s (official time, 2 seconds slower on my Garmin).

That's 5 minutes faster than Peterborough a couple of months ago - and that course was flat!!! Bedford has long undulating hills which suit my 'power up and recover downhill' style well. Very happy. And tired.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133937389
  • mlb929
    Options
    Ran Bedford Half today: PB, 1h40m06s (official time, 2 seconds slower on my Garmin).

That's 5 minutes faster than Peterborough a couple of months ago - and that course was flat!!! Bedford has long undulating hills which suit my 'power up and recover downhill' style well. Very happy. And tired.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133937389

Congratulations!!! Great run, man you are fast :) I'm just hoping to break 2 hours someday!
  • mlb929
    Options

I commend you for doing 11 on the treadmill! That takes some mental stamina as well! Glad you got your run in and didn't risk running outside. :)

Thanks, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and really just tried to look for the positives of it. I would/could have gone further, but decided to stick totally to my training schedule that said 11 miles. I'm also trying out new shoes, only the second time I ran in them, I'm going from a Nike Free to a Brooks Pure Cadence, based upon the advice of my Physical Therapist because of some hip and knee issues. They seem to be OK and I can learn to like them, but sure is different than minimalist, which is the only thing I've ever ran in.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Not that fast...

These were the results from my team:

Place Name Team Bib No Gend Age Group Chip Time Gun Time
    154 Stuart Woodruff Olney Runners 884 M 21 40-44 01:29:08 01:29:20
    159 Robert Palmer Olney Runners 2059 M 67 0-34 01:29:14 01:29:26
    203 Bernice Randall Olney Runners 1927 F 5 0-34 01:31:45 01:32:03
    213 Emily Robertson Olney Runners 2058 F 7 0-34 01:32:16 01:32:35
    245 Gareth Morris Olney Runners 789 M 83 0-34 01:34:08 01:34:27
    415 Debora Morley Olney Runners 440 F 15 35-39 01:39:35 01:39:54
    436 Mike Pollock Olney Runners 2057 M 75 35-39 01:40:06 01:40:24
    467 Tony Locke Olney Runners 1766 M 31 50-54 01:40:53 01:41:12
    473 Lisa Russell Olney Runners 1666 F 16 35-39 01:40:58 01:41:17
    540 David Shakespeare Olney Runners 551 M 86 45-49 01:42:23 01:42:49
    561 Vicky Johashen Olney Runners 1390 F 12 40-44 01:43:15 01:43:34
    624 Adam Goss Olney Runners 235 M 103 45-49 01:45:04 01:45:28
    645 Michael McNamara Olney Runners 1826 M 96 35-39 01:45:42 01:46:02
    703 Mark Clayton Olney Runners 110 M 118 40-44 01:47:01 01:47:51
    704 Barbara Clayton Olney Runners 109 F 19 40-44 01:47:02 01:47:51
    879 Susan Teasdale Olney Runners 610 F 29 45-49 01:51:19 01:52:59
    902 Tom Jones Olney Runners 1495 M 77 50-54 01:51:57 01:53:38
    1029 Deirdre Bethune Olney Runners 978 F 2 60-64 01:57:12 01:57:32

I just squeezed into the top 30% of all the runners, and 50% (75/161) runners in my category! This is a runners race - not many fun runners there, but even so I think the standard was incredibly high.