Race report - My first marathon

Options
Well, I told arc918 I’d have a race report after my first marathon, so here it is, finally.

On 11/20 I ran the St. Augustine marathon in St. Augustine, FL. I picked this race since I started training on 8/1 using a 16 week program that ended on that weekend. Plus, Florida in November sounded pretty nice. I got down into St. Augustine early and ended up driving the course a couple days before the race. Except for having to go over and back a couple bridges, the course was as flat as a pancake.

The race started at 6:15am, so I woke up around 4:45 after falling asleep a little after 2. I rarely get more than 4 hours sleep before a big race, so this wasn’t anything unusual. I decided to have the same breakfast I had when I won my half marathon in September, a Gatorade and a glazed, chocolate covered, custard filled donut, yum :). My hotel was about 1.25 miles from the start line, so I left the hotel at 5:30 to walk to the start line.

It was still dark and the temp was in the low 60’s at the start. I was hopin’ the sun would stay down as long as possible. My goal was to run a 6:15-6:20 pace for the 1st half and come back at around 6:45-7:00 for the 2nd half and finish under 3 hrs. I had only run two races since I began training, a half (1:20:44) 8 weeks into training and a 5K (16:38) 5 weeks later. I was guessing at what pace to run based on those 2 races and my recent tempo runs. Come to find out, I was little too ambitious and overconfident for what I should run.

The first 6 miles I ran in the front with 3 other guys. The pace felt very comfortable and we were chatting up it, although, the other 3 guys did most of the chatting since they were from that area or had lived in that area before. I didn’t feel like I was pushing the pace at all so I just ran with them. At about 6.5 miles, the eventual winner started to pull away from the group and I knew I shouldn’t pick up the pace, so I let him go. One of the other 2 guys decided to go with him, so it was just me and another guy running together in 3rd at that point. I felt good at the 10 mile mark (1:02:27, 6:15 pace), so I was still feeling pretty confident about my race. I reached the 13 mile mark (1:21:33, 6:16 pace) and realized I was starting to have to push it a little harder to try and keep up the same pace. Once I hit mile 15, I realized things were transitioning from not-so-good to bad. I could definitely feel my pace slowing. Once I hit mile 17, things went from bad to let-the-suffering-begin status. I think mile 19 was where I took my first 30 second walk break. At that point I began reassessing what my goals were, which, the only one that mattered was to just finish and get this race over with. I noticed that I was getting a blister on the outside of my left foot, which partnered up well with the blister behind my big right toe that was a work in progress since mile 10. During mile 25, I realized that the only goal I could aim for, besides finishing, would be to get a BQ time, hence the sudden drop in time in the last mile or so. I was able to hit that goal and finished in 3:08:59. I was 10th overall and 1st in my age group.

Looking back now, I think I would’ve been fine going out in a 6:45-7:00 pace for the first 10 miles or so. The last long run I did was a 23 miler that I ran easy and completed in 2:50 (3:15 marathon pace), so I thought if I ran hard, I could easily break 3:00. Overconfidence bit me in the *kitten*. I know I ran a really good time for my first marathon, I just didn’t like how I got to that time nor the fact that I could’ve run a lot faster. This race would definitely go down as one of the worse ones I’ve ever done. I think arc918 might have mentioned something about not going out to fast :), but obviously I didn’t know what too fast was and now I do, 26.2 miles too late lol. The worse part was the walk back to the hotel. It took me 65 minutes to walk/shuffle the 1.25 miles back, although, that does include one pitstop on the way there. My legs have never been in that much pain/soreness. It took about 5-6 days for the soreness to work its way out. I'm looking forward to doing better in my next marathon.

Mile splits:

6:20
6:25
6:16
6:17
6:15 5 miles
6:09
6:04
6:09
6:16
6:16 10 miles
6:20
6:21
6:25
6:32
6:41 15 miles
6:48
7:07
7:17
7:43
7:56 20 miles
8:20
9:31
9:21
10:05
9:31 25 miles
8:23

Official results:
http://chiptimes.com/images/files/static/571OverAll.htm

Replies

• cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wow! that is still awesome!!! you finished!
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Congratulations on a fantastic time and on finishing your first marathon!! Just look at it all as a learning experience... :)
  • ineednapkin
    Options
    That is an amazing time especially for your first marathon. You rock. Also, mile 17-18 is where I really started hurting too!!!
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a great race. You learned the lesson that most first-time marathoners learn the hard way. Don't go out too fast!!
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    Fantastic job. I know you probably don't like the time, but I'd be thrilled with it! Keep up the good work, and keep us up to speed on Boston next year:)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. You are awesome and I am so sure you are going to continue to do great! Your next marathon just might be your BEST ever race.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Good post BGM. I've run my first half and preparing for a full in the not-too-distant future. I'll try not to start out too fast for sure!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nice job gutting it out! The marathon really is a whole 'nother kind of beast.

Bottom line, I think even or negative splits is the only way to race this distance (unless the course really begs for a different approach - perhaps due to elevation profile). The approach is that much tougher for a tactical racer like yourself.

The problem is that it is easy to feel great early in the race, but you need to feel good (or ok) at the end. Had you headed out at a 6:45 pace, I think it would have been a much better result.

Also, hot tip for the future, stick a $20 bill in your pocket in case you need to grab a cab ride back or something.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll run a great race next time out now that you got this one under your belt.
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nice race report, thanks for sharing it with us! I definitely agree with arc918 that marathons are a whole different animal; and also about even or negative split being the way to go...although easier said than done. My first marathon this fall was a very humbling experience in which I learned the same lessons the same way you did, albeit at a much slower pace. 26.2 miles is a long way and I felt great at the beginning after tapering and glycogen-loading & not nearly so great at mile 24 when I hit the wall. Lesson learned!

Great job keeping up those splits as long as you did, and toughing it out to BQ, finish 10th overall, and win your AG...great for your first marathon! Whoever said that the marathon starts at mile 20 had a point.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Great report! Awesome job to finish with that kind of time even though it wasn't what you expected or would have liked. My 1st marathon didn't go anywhere close to what I expected, so I know how that feels.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! That is crazy fast. I'm training for my first marathon (Jan 8) and will throw a block party if I break the 4 hour mark... you crushed it! :flowerforyou:
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Pretty awesome finish for a first time marathoner, even with the crash and burn. Beats my best time and I've run 7 road marathons. Your short race game is outstanding. 1:20 half is amazing! I think with more mileage you can run 2:55