What's your happy deficit?

Options
olivia3263
olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
I'm realizing as I continue to eat using this method that my body is more comfortable at certain deficits than others. I get mentally nervous when I'm below 400 because I'm afraid of miscalculating things (this has gotten me in trouble in the past) and I can feel it physically if I go over 850. I think my body likes it best around a 700/750 calorie deficit. I feel good mentally, and physically so I'm happy with that.

What's your happy deficit?

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    to soon to tell for me. :)

But, I will add, looks like "fingers crossed" this plan may have brought me out of my stall/plateau. I will need another week or two to confirm yet.

I was stuck at the same area, going between a lb lost and a lb gain, back and forth, for the past month. Staying in the same area.

But the past two days, looks like I have hit the downside of that range consistently, and I think I am inching a lb lower. For me this usually means I am about to start losing 1- 2 lbs a week again.

So I will know more later.

I would love to see other replies though.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure yet either, yesterday's deficit of 749 had me feeling sort of hungry when I went to sleep but I figure it's not a bad thing as long as i am not starving when I go to sleep.

I'm trying to get myself losing after a long plateau so hopefully this works. The scale is kind of swinging all over the place. Very frustrating.
  • melinda6569
    Options
    i have not been doing this long enough. but i can tell you i don't like to see anything lower than 600 in the Green..i had a 900 deficit yesterday and i felt good. was full..Will keep you posted..
  • melinda6569
    Options
    I am having that same problem..seems like every week i battle the same 5 pounds to lose :sad:
  • melinda6569
    Options
    I am having that same problem..seems like every week i battle the same 5 pounds to lose :sad:
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Like others I'm not sure yet. I haven't pushed my exercise boundaries yet like I could be so my deficits haven't been huge. Increasing my intake was my biggest focus this week and now that my energy levels are coming back I am finding the urge to do more activity and also seem to be hungry more often. I've been doing little things here and there for exercise that I don't log because I really don't know how. Like I work on the 4th floor so I started taking the stairs. Round trip over the course of the day I am either up or down them 4 times but mfp only has running stairs for a duration and it neither takes me any significant amount of time nor am I running, so I just don't log it, but to my body..yes I know it counts.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Mine is around 700 as well, surprisingly. I thought I would be hungry but I was not and I was very satisfied and happy with my days. This was over the weekend and yesterday I only made it to 80 deficit (high zigzag day I guess) and I was mad at myself.
  • regthelittleone
    Options
    Not exactly sure yet either ( still worried about messing this up). Yesterday I have a deficit in the 800's ( not sure of the exact #). And like jrditt, I felt a little hungry going to bed :) . But not starving!!! Going to zig-zag cals like my MFPBF( Jeanine) :). Hoping this continues to work for me!! I'm kinda at a stand still again:(. Oh the roller coaster ride this is) LOL
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm the same boat. I can't say for sure, but yesterday I had a 741 deficit and I went to bed feeling pretty good. Also, when I woke up this morning I felt good and not ravishingly hungry. I'm going to shoot for an even larger deficit today and see how I feel. I am thinking that 700-800 pocket is where I'll be feeling the best.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I think I try to aim for a 500 deficit. But I do have my 250 days. Sooo, right now I average somewhere in between.
    I'd like to be more consistant at a 500 - 700 deficit. I'll work on that. I've just been hungrier since starting insanity and p90x before that.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I am in the not sure yet camp. I was pretty steadily eating around 1200 to 1400 calories on non-exercise days (and 1500 to 1700 on exercise days without hunger issues), so I am struggling to meet my 1540 BMR. On non-exercise days this is only a 400 calorie deficit, but on exercise days, I will regularly have a 1000 calorie deficit (and struggle to reach it as I have to eat around 2000 calories those days).
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I am in the not sure yet camp. I was pretty steadily eating around 1200 to 1400 calories on non-exercise days (and 1500 to 1700 on exercise days without hunger issues), so I am struggling to meet my 1540 BMR. On non-exercise days this is only a 400 calorie deficit, but on exercise days, I will regularly have a 1000 calorie deficit (and struggle to reach it as I have to eat around 2000 calories those days).
    You should eat 1540 to 1640 on non exercise days. Since your maintenance is 2000, you still have close to 400 to 500 deficit meaning you would lose a pound a week around. And with the calculations, you don't want to see more than 540 in green when you exercise, so you would have to eat back exercise calories.
    There are small ways to bump up your calorie count if you are having trouble. Make sure you are measuring everything to be sure of your calorie count. Tablespoon of olive oil on your salad or veggies. Change from no fat mayo to light. Have one or two tbsp of peanut butter as a dip for an apple. If you only have egg whites, have a full egg. Go from light bread to regular bread. Skim milk to 1%. Don't be afraid of fats. Certain kinds are great for you!
    I know you are scared to eat more than you have been but give this a few weeks to see if it works for you.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    I'm not too sure yet either. Since I rarely burn more than 625 (my BMR + 1000 - maintenance) through exercise (I'm typically just under that on my most intense bootcamp workout days), I'm implementing advice offered in the Motivation and Support forum to only eat my BMR 6 days a week without eating back exercise calories and then eat twice that amount one day a week to boost leptin levels/metabolism. I was hesitant to try it at first, but then I did some calculating ...

Considering my BMR, what I burn through exercise most weeks, my maintenance calorie level .... I can easily stick to eating my BMR for 6 days, eat 2500 calories one day a week (whoa .... without guilt? thanks! lol) and STILL have a weekly deficit hovering around 3500 calories. YAY!

I'll let you all know how it works out for me. :happy:
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for only three days and have been feeling good as far as not being hungry. I have to say though I have been eating more and it terrifies me. I have set my calorie goal to 1693 which is my (BMR X 1.3) but previously I was on 1200 calories a day. My BMR is 1303, should I have set my calorie goal to this number instead? Thanks for taking the time. :flowerforyou:
  • joclougherty
    joclougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for only three days and have been feeling good as far as not being hungry. I have to say though I have been eating more and it terrifies me. I have set my calorie goal to 1693 which is my (BMR X 1.3) but previously I was on 1200 calories a day. My BMR is 1303, should I have set my calorie goal to this number instead? Thanks for taking the time. :flowerforyou:

You have set up correctly, you should be on Maintenance - 1693 BUT you should try to only eat your BMR (1303 ish) so giving you a deficit of 390 each day before adding exercise into it.
  • bsmoley
    Options
    I think I've been leaving my deficits too high, right around or a little over 1000 on exercise days only, because I have a hard time mentally going back to eat more after I've already had dinner. I guess I need to be eating more throughout the day. Anyway, it showed on the scale because I didn't lose anything. I feel so much better on my non workout days and am still able to have around 700 deficit! Still working out the kinks!
  • turnerjh
    Options
    I want to make sure I understand this and have a question. My BMR is 1247 and my maintenance calories according to MFP sedentary (sit at work most all the time) is 1560. If I burn more than 687, I need to eat back calories. I set my calorie goal to 1560 and make sure to eat at least 1247 each day.

Where I am getting confused is thinking about net calories and maybe this is just a difference in this method versus how MFP is set up. I think setting it up this way, I will likely very often be under 1200 net. For example, I did a short run today and burned 300 calories. If I eat 1300 calories today, my deficit will be 560 but my net calories will only be 1000.

I guess I am just concerned because ever since I have been on MFP, I keep reading to never let your net calories be under 1200 or else be hit with the dreaded starvation mode. Can anyone clarify this?