Real or Fake?

Options
2»

Replies

• BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My brother had terrible allergies to trees, so I grew up with fake trees. So that's what I have as an adult, too!

I would love to try a real tree some day, just to see if I can do it. It seems so complicated!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    REAL!! They smell good, and they're cheaper!! :bigsmile:

Cheaper? We got real trees every year until last year, and always spent $50-75 for a decent tree.

My fake tree was cheapie cheap at $30.

Even if the real one is cheaper at the time than a fake one, you don't keep buying a fake one year after year.

Really?? My real tree last year was $20, and the fake ones I saw were $50+... But yes, in the long run it is cheaper, since you don't replace them yearly! But the smell... AND you don't have to assemble the things, or store the tree during off-season... the list goes on :wink:

...I also like the experience of picking out a tree... call me silly, but I feel like I'm giving the tree a "home" or something... I tend to anthromorphize things a LOT. :laugh:

Oh I totally hear ya. i really don't like our fake tree, but for this year anyway it'll have to do. My mom caved this year and finally bought a decent fake tree since her and my dad are alone in their new house now and don't feel the need to pick out a real tree anymore. She always said she had to have the real pine smell too and REFUSED to get anything but a real tree until this year.
  • southofmadness
    southofmadness Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    REAL 100%
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Fake but I have a kid allergic to pine so I have to!
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Growing up my parents had a fake tree and my grandparents always had a real one. I used to have a fake tree but living in an apartment I just don't have the space to store it. I'd love to get a real tree though. Disposal is easy for me. Our best friends live in the country and have a new year's party where everyone who has a real tree brings it and we do an anual burning of the trees. It does show you how scary they are if you let them get to dry though and something happens. Those things go up quick!
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like the fake ones because no matter what you do to them they always bounce right back. With real ones you just have to invest so much time and care into them. Even when you do everything right (keep it properly moisturized, don't jiggle it too much, not too much sun, nothing too heavy hanging from it) in the end it winds up sagging and drooping because that just what happens.

With fake ones the stuff I buy to decorate and make it look good this year, will still make it look good next year. Yet with real ones the size is always changing year to year. Bigger, smaller, thinner, wider. Heck even the decorations you just bought today might not fit right and now you'll have to go back and get different ones. Ugh its always weird walking in those stores alone.

Well I've got my sliver chains, glitter, lace decorations and Christmas music all ready. Now it's time for me to go to work on a nice pair of fake ones. What? I have two trees this year...
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    REAL!! They smell good, and they're cheaper!! :bigsmile:

Cheaper? We got real trees every year until last year, and always spent $50-75 for a decent tree.

My fake tree was cheapie cheap at $30.

Even if the real one is cheaper at the time than a fake one, you don't keep buying a fake one year after year.

Really?? My real tree last year was $20, and the fake ones I saw were $50+... But yes, in the long run it is cheaper, since you don't replace them yearly! But the smell... AND you don't have to assemble the things, or store the tree during off-season... the list goes on :wink:

...I also like the experience of picking out a tree... call me silly, but I feel like I'm giving the tree a "home" or something... I tend to anthromorphize things a LOT. :laugh:

Oh I totally hear ya. i really don't like our fake tree, but for this year anyway it'll have to do. My mom caved this year and finally bought a decent fake tree since her and my dad are alone in their new house now and don't feel the need to pick out a real tree anymore. She always said she had to have the real pine smell too and REFUSED to get anything but a real tree until this year.
    I bought a very nice fake tree on an after Christmas sale for $50 back in 1991. I spray it with that "real tree" scent and put a pine scented thingy in the box every year. It took about 3 years but it smells real (without bothering my allergies) to the point that friends thought we had a real tree and just got lucky in finding a really nice one. Storage isn't an issue. I just put it in the garage or when we had a basement in our first 2 houses I'd put it in there. Even when we were in an apt I'd put it on the floor of the closet and just set other stuff on top of it. It didn't take up much more room than the ornaments, lights, garland, misc decorations.

Figuring a real tree will cost about $50 each year and I paid $50 for this one 30 years ago, I figure I've saved about $1500 by buying that fake tree. Really, it's probably a lot more. If we got a real tree I'd want something nice and those are even more expensive.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I have a fake tree now, but for years we had the real thing, even cut our own when we lived in Alaska. I love the neatness and economically sound idea of a fake, but I do miss the smell. I have a candle warmer (so no worry about open flames) and get a Christmas candle from yankee candle co and enjoy the christmas smell!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've never once had a real tree. Up until I was 12 years old, my family lived in apartments, so we weren't allowed to have real trees. When my parents got a house when I was 12, we continued to do fake trees. My mom said real trees are too messy. :tongue: Judging the homes of my friends who had real trees, I can say, she's right! All those needles...blah.

Also, I don't MIND the smell of the real trees, but I would grow to hate it really quickly. A grocery store here in town that I go to a lot has them set up all outside the perimeter of the store, and walking from the parking lot to the entrance you smell them...at first, it isn't so bad...then it's REALLY bad. :laugh: I couldn't live with that smell in my house.

We just got a new fake tree last month. I love this one! It's honestly the nicest one that I've ever personally owned. :smile: It's black, which yeah, that's kinda weird, but when it's lit up, it looks like a dark forest green. This is also the first year I've ever had the traditional lights on a tree, vs. the rainbow lights, which I used to love, but now can't stand. And it was only $40.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Real - the smell is divine, and an essential part of Christmas for me. As for the mess some people have mentioned, it's a small price to pay, and that's what vacuum cleaners are for! And/or detachable tree 'skirts' that can be lifted up with all the shed needles in for disposal if it really bothers you.
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I bought a very nice fake tree on an after Christmas sale for $50 back in 1991.

Figuring a real tree will cost about $50 each year and I paid $50 for this one 30 years ago, I figure I've saved about $1500 by buying that fake tree. Really, it's probably a lot more. If we got a real tree I'd want something nice and those are even more expensive.
    [/quote]

1991 = 20 years at savings of $1,000

However if you did buy a fake tree in 1981 at $50, that must be one heck of a tree. Did it come with a Beta Max or a laser disc copy of Star Wars? Oh wait I get it...being the 80's is it flocked with "fake snow"? Yeah ok you got this tree while skiing the Alps Tony Montana right?
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Some fake trees are pretty expensive. My parents' fake tree was over $200, but it looks way nicer than any real tree I've ever seen. Has the fake snow spray stuff on it, it's SUPER FREAKING HUGE (they have 9' cathedral ceilings, and it's almost to the top) and just looks so nice.

It's also by Martha Stewart. So there's another reason for the expensive-ness. :tongue: