Good Books and Movies

Options

Replies

• lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love all of the Sarah walters books and the tv adaptations of the same..... But my all time favourite films is Bound my guilty confession is that I originally owned this on video (showing my age now -for the younger readers do a google search - lol) I wore out the tape playing it over and over again....

Lucy x
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Tipping the Velvet By Sarah Waters.

LOVE This book! The movie stays very close to the book and is also great!!

^ Yes! I second that notion :) And yes, the movie was enjoyable. Never as good as the book, but it was a great movie.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    Books:
    Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez
    Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
    Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle

Movies:
    Loving Annabelle
    Kissing Jessica Stein
    Dare (two best friends - a girl and a guy - both fall for the same guy)
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Books:
    Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez
    Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
    Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle

Movies:
    Loving Annabelle
    Kissing Jessica Stein
    Dare (two best friends - a girl and a guy - both fall for the same guy)

I just watched Kissing Jessica Stein on Netflix. What a great movie! Thanks!!
  • yeahthatpaula
    yeahthatpaula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love all of the Sarah walters books and the tv adaptations of the same..... But my all time favourite films is Bound my guilty confession is that I originally owned this on video (showing my age now -for the younger readers do a google search - lol) I wore out the tape playing it over and over again....

Lucy x

I just saw "Bound" for the first time a few months ago. My girlfriend was appalled that I hadn't seen it. It was so good.

My favorites movies are The Secret Diaries Of Miss Anne Lister, Chutney Popcorn, Tipping The Velvet and Bound (of course).

I haven't read any LBGT books and I don't see it happening in the near future as I've just started book two of the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin.
  • david581c
    Options
    "The Kids Are Alright"

I thought it would suck, though it offers what I assume is a realistic portrait of a modern family.

it's about a lesbian couple's children discovering who their sperm donor is and discovering who he is, it's a nice modern take on the family genre.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like Sarah Water's books. Tipping the velvet, Fingersmith, Affinity, The Nightwatch.....all of which have been adapted in to TV mini series. Haven't read The Little STranger yet though.

I also like the film Imagine Me & You.
  • KeeleySue
    Options
    The movie "Better Than Chocolate" was pretty good.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    OH MAN, how could I forget?

"Whipping Girl" by Julia Serano. I had the pleasure of meeting her and speaking with her at one of my old jobs. She is such a thoughtful, funny, and TALENTED person. Read this book!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Books: Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. Not technically an LGBT book, but Ruth and Idgie are a lesbian couple and central to the story. One of my favorite books of all time.

Movies: Desert Hearts, Aimee & Jaguar, Go Fish, are a few of my favorites.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Can't help out in books; only read non-fiction.

Movies:

Loving Annabelle
    Gia
    When Night is Falling
    I Can't Think Straight
    Elena Undone
    Imagine Me & You
    D.E.B.S.
    The World Unseen
    Gray Matters
    Better Than Chocolate
    All Over Me
    It's in the Water
  • Cheryl_66
    Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just read "and playing the role of herself" by K.E. Lang and it was very good. I have a ton of books on my kindle and am always looking for interesting books with lesbian characters. Email me your suggestions.
    I can probably write one at this point, they all have pretty much the same formula: girl meets girl. Both are at the top of their professions. One has shady/wild past/ or dead lover. There is a misunderstanding, They get mad. someones life is in danger or some other bs. They realize they can't live without each other. The end.
    But still, I love these books.
  • david581c
    Options
    Better than chocolate was a rec. I figured to explore, everyone here was right, it was great.

thinking about getting into Ayn Rand or more gibberish philosophy like Niche.

not sure where to start.
  • senwithers
    senwithers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always recommend Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Not exclusively a "gay" movie, but Val Kilmer plays a gay private investigator and he's hilarious in it. It's also got Robert Downey Jr. Like I said it's not targeted specifically at a gay audience, but it's a great movie and a really great representation of a normal, not effeminate or stereotypical, gay dude.

This movie is one of my favorite movies! And no one has ever seen it so thank you very much for saying this haha I thought Val Kilmer was great!
  • senwithers
    senwithers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like Sarah Water's books. Tipping the velvet, Fingersmith, Affinity, The Nightwatch.....all of which have been adapted in to TV mini series. Haven't read The Little STranger yet though.

I also like the film Imagine Me & You.

Imagine Me and You was adorable and also my girlfriend's favorite movie. On one of our first dates, she actually took me to play DDR at an arcade and I had NO idea why until I saw it. So freaking cute.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Ive never read any LGBT books, I love reading so of course ima gonna have to look into your recommendations!!

My fav movies are both lifetime movies:

-A prayer for bobby
    -” A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story,” A transgender awareness movie.

I also love

-Imagine Me and you.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    used to like *kitten* Of Lost Atlantis but that was a long time ago... charles busch...
  • highfemme
    Options
    As a nerdfighter, I'm really ashamed to say I've never read any of John Green's books! Bad me! I'll have to get on it. Maybe when the semester ends. :)
  • imsimplycharmed
    Options
    A great book is
    Luna by Julie Anne Peters
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Better than chocolate was a rec. I figured to explore, everyone here was right, it was great.

thinking about getting into Ayn Rand or more gibberish philosophy like Niche.

not sure where to start.
    Just a question... Atlas Shrugged... that 7 chapter.. 1800page diatribe near the end. did you manage to plow through it? I always skipped it..]