Weighing in

Options
Good morning! I wanted to see everyone's thoughts on when is the best time to weigh in. Part of me wants to do it first thing in the morning, but I always feel like that is not my "real" weight as i haven't eaten or had any water yet. Thoughts? I just want to make sure I am being realistic.

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I think your "real weight" is more about remembering that when you DO weigh yourself (time of day), you use that same time of day to weigh yourself the next time - and the next time - and so on.

For me, I DO prefer to weigh myself in the morning because, for me, my night-time weight is ALWAYS heavier (and I don't LIKE that number on the scale, lol!)
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Beeps is right about being consistent about what time of day you weigh in. Also, I would strongly suggest no more than once a week. Your weight can go up and down all the time due to various things and it can really make you crazy. I don't even keep a scale in my house. I use the one at the gym and check in every couple of weeks or so.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I always do it in the morning. The biggest thing is doing it at the SAME TIME every time. You won't get a good idea of your weight loss if you do it in the morning one week and the evening next week. And to be exact should always make sure you're wearing the same amount of clothes since that does affect the number. I don't do it naked but usually I do it in my tshirt and undies straight out of bed. My pj pants add about an extra pound I've noticed.
  • GingerBroad
    GingerBroad Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I do typically weigh in the morning, but it feels like I am cheating b/c I haven't eaten or anything :).
  • Snr1
    Snr1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree that the morning is the best time to weigh in. Your weight does fluctuate a lot through out the day. I understand what you mean by not feeling like it is your "real" weight. I feel that way at times too, but its true that if you do it at the same time of day it reflects the amount that you have lost. My issue is not doing it every morning...I get a little compulsive about it. I've noticed I was more content when I didn't own a scale.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Monday mornings after I pee, sorry for the TMI.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    When I am weighing in (my scale is broken right now) I usually do Wednesday in the morning before I eat. I feel like whatever I am maintaining consistently at the same time is my real weight.

Also, I always have water retention after the weekend so Monday weigh ins are no bueno for me.
  • GingerBroad
    GingerBroad Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I also weigh in the mornings and i actually do 2 days in a row. My weight fluctuates so much based on water that if i get 2 days in a row at the same number, I consider it lbs lost!
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I weight in on Sunday morning first thing after going to the toilet and without clothes on. It easiest as you just hop out of bed and take your nightie off. All the weight loss experts tell us not to weigh more than once a week.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I weigh in when I wake up and have been to the bathroom. I use my weight, specifically if I'm carrying water weight, to check the health of my bowel (I have IBS), so it has become a daily thing for me but when it comes to weight loss I only count Wednesday's results.

I'm not bothered by the numbers because that's all they are but I agree, if you feel negatively affected by the scale then only weigh in once a week/twice a month etc. It's not worth the drama.