Stage 1 - Lunges and deadlifts?

Options
I'm halfway through stage 1 (yay!) and I have some questions about lunges and deadlifts.

Lunges : I have a lot of trouble doing them with weights. I can do maybe 10 before the underside of my thighs - can you tell I'm bad with muscle names? - start to hurt and often I even fall down, sinking onto the extending knee. It doesn't actually hurt a whole lot, but it's pretty embarrassing... I always assumed that lunges were just a difficult exercise for me, and I kept doing them with weights, even increasing weights from 8 to 10 pound dumbbells in each hand. But then I tried doing a set without weights and it's SO much easier! I can do 15 without any real problems! So my question is, would it be better to keep doing what I'm doing now, which is one set with 10-pound weights and one set with no weights, or go down to 5-pound weights and do all my sets with those?

Deadlifts : the book specifies that you should use an "Olympic barbell" for these and that the barbell is 7 feet long, made of metal weighs 45 pounds. I've been using a barbell that's hard black plastic, definitely not 7 feet long and DEFINITELY not 45 pounds... Is this a major issue? Obviously I'm getting less of a workout than someone using the Olympic barbell, but I'll still see results, right? I think it's kind of weird if we absolutely have to use such a heavy barbell considering that you're adding weights on top of that, especially since it's just stage 1. Right now the most I can handle is 7.5 kg in weights on each side (16.5 pounds, so 33 pounds total) so if I used that barbell I'd be more than doubling the total weight and there's no WAY I would be able to do the exercise!

Sorry to ramble like this :embarassed:

Replies

• deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but here's what I think....

If you're halfway thru Stage 1 (that's where I'm at!), you should be to lower reps (10, then going down to 8) so I would think you'd want to use whatever weight you can handle for 3 sets of 10 reps. If you need to go down to 5 lbs to be able to maintain it for the 3 sets, I would suggest doing that instead of higher weights for one set and then none for the next. Just my opinion, and like I said I'm not an expert.

As for the deadlifts, I think you are fine as long as the bar you are using allows you to perform the exercise correctly. I know when I started the program, I just lifted the bar (no added weights) - so that was just 45 lbs. I'm now up to 115. It really doesn't matter what your total weight is right now, just aim to increase it!
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    Whoa, 45 to 115 is a great improvement, especially if you're just halfway through stage 1! Way to go!
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My problem with the deadlifts or anything involving a bar is I belong to a gym that sucks :(.. They only have the smith machine.. Im on my second stage 1/b.. doing sets of 15.. I hate doing squats and things on the smith but I tell myself it's better than doing nothing.. doesnt feel the same though, I can tell you because i'm used to lifting..
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through stage 1 (yay!) and I have some questions about lunges and deadlifts.

Lunges : I have a lot of trouble doing them with weights. I can do maybe 10 before the underside of my thighs - can you tell I'm bad with muscle names? - start to hurt and often I even fall down, sinking onto the extending knee. It doesn't actually hurt a whole lot, but it's pretty embarrassing... I always assumed that lunges were just a difficult exercise for me, and I kept doing them with weights, even increasing weights from 8 to 10 pound dumbbells in each hand. But then I tried doing a set without weights and it's SO much easier! I can do 15 without any real problems! So my question is, would it be better to keep doing what I'm doing now, which is one set with 10-pound weights and one set with no weights, or go down to 5-pound weights and do all my sets with those?
    For the lunges try again with the 10lbs. When I'm doing lunges I try to give myself cues...(talk in my head...haha) tighten your core,tuck your butt, and drive up from the heel. If you remember those things maybe you wont be so wobbly. Don't be embarassed I almost fell on my face today while doing bulgarian split squats....(those are coming in the next stages). If that doesn't help keep at the 5 or if your gym has 7.5 try those. You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Deadlifts : the book specifies that you should use an "Olympic barbell" for these and that the barbell is 7 feet long, made of metal weighs 45 pounds. I've been using a barbell that's hard black plastic, definitely not 7 feet long and DEFINITELY not 45 pounds... Is this a major issue? Obviously I'm getting less of a workout than someone using the Olympic barbell, but I'll still see results, right? I think it's kind of weird if we absolutely have to use such a heavy barbell considering that you're adding weights on top of that, especially since it's just stage 1. Right now the most I can handle is 7.5 kg in weights on each side (16.5 pounds, so 33 pounds total) so if I used that barbell I'd be more than doubling the total weight and there's no WAY I would be able to do the exercise!

• Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    my post disappeared....grrr will try again later
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I would think keep trying to add weights for your lunges. Keeping doing 5 pounds until you can increase to 10. If you don't do any weight, you're not going to progress. Also if your struggling make sure to check your form in a mirror. I was getting really bad pain in my ankles and it's because I didn't realize I was setting my stance too wide for squats. Once I fixed my stance, the pain is gone and the move is easier so I can do more reps with same or more weight. Lunges in particular are kind of a tricky move and form is really important. Try a set without the weights in front of the mirror, then try a set with weights. Make sure your form is the same for both because often when we add weight, we stand weird to compensate.

Holding dumbbells during lunges will also improve grip strength, which you will need later on in many of the other workouts and exercises, so that's another reason to try and add weight if you can.

As far as the deadlifts go, it's fine to use the plastic bar for now and you will definitely still see results. Eventually when you get strong enough, you will probably need the olympic bar just to continue increasing the weight. I actually use a plastic bar right now too (probably the same one you are with the kg plates), but it's limiting because you can only add a max of 66 pounds I think.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,947 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but I am using barbells (at present) that are NOT the Olympic-size 45 lb. (without weights) size. I used 30 lb. barbell for my squats this morning. And, my lunges I will use 12 lb. dumb-bells (in each hand). My form for my squats isn't very good and I have to work on my form (to squat down far enough) right now. My lunge form is fine, but I have SUCH tight hip flexors that it's a very difficult exercise for me (just now).

Since the point is to LIFT HEAVY, I would do FEWER reps, at that HIGHER weight, and just log it as such. In fact, the program I was following previously only had 12- and 10- reps for "warming up"...the *real* sets were 8 reps or even 6 reps. I'm hoping, as this program goes on, that the reps are FEWER to permit HIGHER weight to BUILD THAT MUSCLE!!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but I am using barbells (at present) that are NOT the Olympic-size 45 lb. (without weights) size. I used 30 lb. barbell for my squats this morning. And, my lunges I will use 12 lb. dumb-bells (in each hand). My form for my squats isn't very good and I have to work on my form (to squat down far enough) right now. My lunge form is fine, but I have SUCH tight hip flexors that it's a very difficult exercise for me (just now).

Since the point is to LIFT HEAVY, I would do FEWER reps, at that HIGHER weight, and just log it as such. In fact, the program I was following previously only had 12- and 10- reps for "warming up"...the *real* sets were 8 reps or even 6 reps. I'm hoping, as this program goes on, that the reps are FEWER to permit HIGHER weight to BUILD THAT MUSCLE!!

If you read through all the stages you'll see that is exactly what happens. I'm doing stage 4 right now which is 2-3 sets of 8, and stage 5 is 3-4 sets of 4. The first stage gets you used to lifting heavier while also working on form. Go by how your body feels - if you finish your set and feel like you could have done more, then raise your weight. When you can't lift the weight with good form, drop the weight down until you can.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    That makes sense, ruststar....I hadn't read the finer details of the later stages.

I am VERY glad to read it is lower reps with higher weights. Yaaayyyy!!!
  • menagerie4
    menagerie4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did my first free weight workout (n my life) today. My husband is doing the program with me (to keep me motivated but also to help his strength as well and he did A earlier this week. So I actually started with Stage 1, Workout B instead of A. I am having a hard time learning the proper form for these moves, especially with the bar exercises. I spend a lot of time on youtube watching instructional videos. I'm 5'6", 151 lbs, looking to lose ~20 lbs. I'm doing a ~300 cal deficit from the books suggested calorie intake (so 1600-1700 cals for me). I know it would be an oversimplification but I'd appreciate it if the book would tell me general ideas of a weight a beginner should try to start with on their first try. Like my deadlifts today... my form was awful. Definitely should have started lower but since I've never lifted, I don't know what is a lot and what's a little. I just feel so clueless. I'm hoping this feeling goes away and in a few weeks I walk in with confidence knowing what I'm doing on "the other side" of the gym.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

As long as you are increasing the weight it doesn't matter what you are lifting. Have you tried to deadlift just the bar(45lbs)? Keep good form on the lunges and if you have to drop weight, do that or do first set with higher weight and then drop the weight. Still keep the weight challenging for all the reps in the set. You can do it! The lifts will get easier as you get down the form and get stronger.
  • deninevi
    Options
    I did my first free weight workout (n my life) today. My husband is doing the program with me (to keep me motivated but also to help his strength as well and he did A earlier this week. So I actually started with Stage 1, Workout B instead of A. I am having a hard time learning the proper form for these moves, especially with the bar exercises. I spend a lot of time on youtube watching instructional videos. I'm 5'6", 151 lbs, looking to lose ~20 lbs. I'm doing a ~300 cal deficit from the books suggested calorie intake (so 1600-1700 cals for me). I know it would be an oversimplification but I'd appreciate it if the book would tell me general ideas of a weight a beginner should try to start with on their first try. Like my deadlifts today... my form was awful. Definitely should have started lower but since I've never lifted, I don't know what is a lot and what's a little. I just feel so clueless. I'm hoping this feeling goes away and in a few weeks I walk in with confidence knowing what I'm doing on "the other side" of the gym.

When I started the program I was deadlifting just the bar-I started the deadlifts couple weeks before the program-on my own. So I haven't done any weight lifting before. If you can lift the bar, start with that. If you can finish all your sets and reps. and you feel like you can do a rep or few more, then increase the weight next time you do that lift. If it is super easy on the first set, increase on the next set. If you load the bar with too much weight and your form is crap, than back down and get the form right. You just started , you will have enough time to go up on the weight, but get the form right -that's what stage 1 is for-higher reps. lighter weights, good form. Good luck to you! It's nice of your hubby to do the program with you!
  • menagerie4
    Options
    Yea, starting with the bar would have been much smarter! I should have consulted with you before I immobilized myself! I started with 95lbs for deadlift. I did them but not with a straight back. I am in a pretty decent about of pain today. I am trying to figure out if my back pain today is ok (sore muscles) or if I did something really wrong. I guess time will tell. Never lifting - my back never has hurt before. This is new and different! I was gonna go to a cardio kickboxing class this morning, but since I can only slowly bend over.. or turn, I skipped it. Recovery day it is.

I learned my lesson though. Stage 1, Workout A tomorrow and I'm starting with the bar on squats! That is if I do it tomorrow. I may add another recovery day or two... just see how I feel.

I'm appreciative that my hubby is so supportive. I think he appreciates that he has to eat healthier when I eat healthier and realizes that that it's ultimately in his best interest to eat well too. When he cooks he tries to help me meet my macros and is a good sport about going to the gym with me. Lifting is time for us to spend together (he works quite a lot), a source of stress relief, and will help us get in better shape. So win win all around. (We're also newlyweds... can ya tell? :)
  • deninevi
    Options
    I hope your back feels better! It's great to do things with your hubby! It's much easier to stick to healthier eating and workout plan when both of you are doing it! At least it is for us, but we go to the gym together once a week only-have to take turns to watch the kids. Anyways, One other thing about the deadlifts-if you don't have the big plates( 45lbs.)on each side of the bar you will go a lot lower -ether more like squat or round your back. I used to use boxes to raise my bar with the smaller plates, so I don't have to go that low for the bar. Try and see how it feels on your back. Just my 2 cents.
  • menagerie4
    Options
    Good point (about the bar being lower without the big plates on it). I'll see if I can rig something up so I don't have to go down as far. Thanks for the advance warning!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Good point (about the bar being lower without the big plates on it). I'll see if I can rig something up so I don't have to go down as far. Thanks for the advance warning!

I read somewhere the bar should be 23cm from the floor- so my piddley little bar is up on blocks! Def don't start with a crazy high weight, you could seriously damage your back, esp if it's not in perfect form. There are tons of things on youtube about good form, best to get an idea.
    Wish my hubby was that interested in joining in!
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    hmmm so the bar shouldn't be on the floor, but raised a tad?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    The bar, without any plates on it, should NOT be on the floor. If you consider the size of a 25 lb plate, which raises the OB off the floor about 6-8", THAT is how far off the floor your barbell should be.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The bar, without any plates on it, should NOT be on the floor. If you consider the size of a 25 lb plate, which raises the OB off the floor about 6-8", THAT is how far off the floor your barbell should be.

find either 2 steps to place under either side of the bar on or stack 8 inches of plates, you shouldn't go down so far as the floor without weight.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i understand now, thanks! i was reading the comment as if the bar with the plates should be raised off of the floor. if the height is the plates raising the bar from the floor then i'm doing it correct :)