shoe recommendation for dirt, mud, wet roots

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I know shoes are all about fit... I'll take care of that part myself. But can someone recommend me shoes with good grip on wet roots? I live in the northeast and most of my running is done on rooty trails (very little rock). Wet roots can get very slick and I'm looking for a good tread.

A wider tread is going to clean better, but is that necessarily better for grabbing roots?

I'm leaning towards salomon and innov-8 at this point, but open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    Options
    After doing a bunch of reading and comparing, I think I'm leaning towards either the Salomon Speedcross 3 or the Innov-8 rocklite 312. Unfortunately there aren't any sellers near me, so trying them on and feeling them out before purchase might be difficult.

Salomons:
    70753d1281266083-vand-salomon-speedcross-2-speedcross2.jpg

Innov-8:
    Roclite312GTX.jpg

My 2 biggest concerns are traction on wet roots (anything will be at least decent in the dry hardpack, and there's only so much you can do about mud) and foot protection. Want something light, flexible and neutral, but not something so minimal that my feet will get overly beat up on rough terrain.

Thoughts on these shoes?
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The Salomons look good. The only thing that I dont like about them is the laces, but you could change them out.

I don't know if you have them available but check out LaSportivas if you can. They are a decent shoe. Also I'm not sure what New Balance has right now for trail. They tend to change up their shoes quite frequently though so if you do go with them I wouldn't get too attached to a particular model.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have the Inov8 mudroc 290's, they are awesome on wet roots as well as mud and rock!

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=pg1&P=5050973011&L=26

They have a slightly more aggressive tread than the roclite's... Roclite probably best if your going to be mainly on dry hard-pack, mudroc's are great if your getting more off trail and less on hard-pack trails.

IMO, Inov8 all the way...

Reason being Inov8 are still relatively small and fully focused on what they do, and they do it better than anyone else. Salomon, make nice products, but they are just another big company like Mizuno etc..., part of a massive corporation that are about profits as much, if not more than the ultimate quality of the product and components in those products (again just my personal opinion).
  • El_Rapido
    Options
    Wet roots are a pain in the *kitten*. My inov8 mudclaw 333's have savage grip, and are the only shoes I've used which can handle wet roots.
  • bcislander
    Options
    Great feedback on shoe recommendations - I signed on looking for exactly this, a good shoe recommendation. Thanks - I think I'll try the Inov8's, they sound perfect for my needs. Have a Healthy New Year everyone.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Got some Roc-Lites for christmas... can't wait to try them out. They seem a touch long, but fit really well through the mid-foot, which is crucial for me. Played around with them the other day after a mountain bike ride and early impressions are very positive... can't wait to put them through their paces.