Paleo/primal: truvia vs splenda?

Options
I'm trying to watch my sugar/carbs but I'm not "hard core" paleo. I keep my carbs near 80 everyday (or try very hard to!).

My question is about sugar. I don't eat table sugar in my coffee...but I do use truvia at home and when out and about, splenda.

Thats ok right? It doesn't count as sugar to you right?

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't use either. Splenda is made from sucralose and Truvia is a form of Stevia owned by Coca-Cola. Neither are paleo friendly sugar replacements, as far as I know.

I stick with raw honey. It's not zero calorie (but who says sweetener should be zero calorie anyways - give me calories with some nutritional value over zero calorie chemicals anyday!) but it IS yummy! I know some paleo people will use Stevia (actual stevia, not the coca-cola branded stuff) or agave syrup.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I actually use Stevia..I put the liquid version into my water..and the powder version into my tea...but thats about it...
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thats ok right? It doesn't count as sugar to you right?

As both Mark Sisson and Steven Gundry say: it's all about the insulin.

While stevia doesn't have any calories, it still elicits an insulin response from the body - which the body has to respond to somehow. This not only creates hypoglycemic episodes, but also increased eating from other sources - a prime factor in how a generation who drinks tons of sugar-free sodas still has massive weight gain. Continual abuse of sugars (and sugar substitutes) leads to insulin resistance, which in turn leads to Type 2 ('adult onset') diabetes.

A lot of people just got to have there sweetness one way or the other, so they are looking for some way to hang on to it. The reality for health - and a basic rule of thumb is: no sugar unless there is a plant surrounding it. Pure and simple.

Another factor: artificial sweeteners are not 'whole foods' - they're manufactured. The stevia I used in my youth was either fresh-grown leaf, or a liquid made from steeping stevia leaves in alcohol. The commercial products found in the supermarkets now have chemically extracted the 'active' (sweet) ingredient and mixed it with other agents so that can be measured like sugar.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Stevia= blecch
    I've given it a try several times and I just can't stand the taste. Actually, the aftertaste. It's just not for me.

Does anyone know if the good old "Sweet n Low" illicits an insulin response? Of all the sweeteners out there, it's the only one I reach for. I only use it for tea.

My tea= 3 bags Jasmine, 2 bags decaf green tea, 1 bag Lemon Tulsi makes a big pitcher of tea. Per glass, one Sweet n Low and either fresh lemon juice or 2-3 packets of True Lemon or Lime
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Does anyone know if the good old "Sweet n Low" illicits an insulin response?
    It does. Any sweetener, natural or artificial, triggers it. The body senses 'sweet' and prepares to deal with the glucose. The 'benefit' of an artificial sweetener is that it does not have any calories, but as we know, watching calories is not encouraged in a primal/paleo lifestyle.

I also like just a hint of sweetness in my iced tea - this is what I do. I brew a pitcher using 6 decaffeinated green teabags, along with ONE of the blueberry, raspberry or other herb teas that Celestial Seasonings puts out. The fruity note added to both the scent and taste gives the impression of sweetness without actually having any. It works for me - and guests are usually surprised as well.

As an opinion, adding lemon or lime (tartness) encourages adding more sweetener to balance it out. Without the lemon, you might not need the sweet'n'low. But I know how you southerners are about sweet tea... :D
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't use either. Splenda is made from sucralose and Truvia is a form of Stevia owned by Coca-Cola. Neither are paleo friendly sugar replacements, as far as I know.

I stick with raw honey. It's not zero calorie (but who says sweetener should be zero calorie anyways - give me calories with some nutritional value over zero calorie chemicals anyday!) but it IS yummy! I know some paleo people will use Stevia (actual stevia, not the coca-cola branded stuff) or agave syrup.

I agree - honey is the best - if you have a local food co-op spend the money and buy local honey and not the store brand bear kind- so good

I bought some Stevia and hate it...tastes nasty to me...Agave syrup elicits the same type of response in your body as corn syrup so I stay away from that as well...
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I used to use a lot of Splenda (not as part of primal/paleo) until I noticed that it seemed to be causing joint pains. Now I use stevia drops for my coffee at home; at work I just use one thing of regular sugar - I feel it's probably better than using artificial stuff.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ever since I went Primal, I'm so sensitive to sweet that I don't use any sweetener anymore.

Although I used Stevia in my Thanksgiving spiced chocolate pumpkin custard, because I was cooking for other people as well as myself. But otherwise, no sweetener. And I don't even miss it. :)
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Ever since I went Primal, I'm so sensitive to sweet that I don't use any sweetener anymore.

Although I used Stevia in my Thanksgiving spiced chocolate pumpkin custard, because I was cooking for other people as well as myself. But otherwise, no sweetener. And I don't even miss it. :)

^ +1
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The stevia I used in my youth was either fresh-grown leaf, or a liquid made from steeping stevia leaves in alcohol.

Monkey, are you talking about stevia or sativa?
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options

Same here! I use Raw honey & agave nectar (seldom though)
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    The stevia I used in my youth was either fresh-grown leaf, or a liquid made from steeping stevia leaves in alcohol.

Monkey, are you talking about stevia or sativa?

That's a different conversation. :)
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I try not to have any sweeteners. Period. Fake or natural (agave, maple syrup.) My daughter has immediate reactions (itchy ears, headache) and even the artificial sweeteners and stevia set her off. For her she has to eat low-sugar fruits or the same thing happens.
    I do get my sweets from fruit and LOVE having a cup of Good Earth Original naturally sweet hot tea in the evening with some nuts and/or a small piece of dark chocolate (4 g or less of sugar).
    Or, I have a couple ounces of meat! ;)