Coconut oil

Options
kkarrolle
kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
After being away last week, I have finally restocked the pantry and fridge. I bought a tub of coconut oil (smells absolutely delightful). I was googling on ways to use it for cooking, smoothies etc and I came across this site: http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/80-uses-for-coconut-oil/

Lots of great uses and it appears to be a great alternative for lots of products that are usually full of chemicals. I can't vouch for some of the suggestions but most look legit.

Replies

• missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Fascinating read, thanks for sharing!
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Love coconut oil period!
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is the best thing ever!! Keep in mind that you're not supposed to heat it above 350 when cooking with it. (That's about medium on your stove top) Have fun eating that whole tub, I always do! ;)
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    LOVE coconut oil. Scrambling eggs in it, roasting brussel spouts in it, sautéing veggies in it... So healthy, and SO yummy!
  • morethanlilies
    Options
    All this talk of coconut oil is making me hungry! I like cooking chicken tenders or nuggets on my grill pan with coconut oil. I really like coconut chicken tenders (the bread covered ones!) so this is a good alternative for me in my transition to the paleo way.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I use it to dip my lean meats in. Like the chicken breast I had to eat last night. Season it up some and it is yummy.

Best moisturizer I've ever used, too! Put it in your coffee or tea and you can soften you lips while you drink!
  • kkarrolle
    Options
    It is quickly becoming a favourite. I have been adding it to my cup of tea with each meal.
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I attribute much of my weightloss to coconut oil. Sure doesn't hurt that it's also yummy and useful.
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options
    Best moisturizer I've ever used, too! Put it in your coffee or tea and you can soften you lips while you drink!

Yes! I use it to remove my eye makeup - works incredibly well - and then I just splash my face with very hot water, and that's my beauty ritual! No soap - and my skin is clear and soft and looking really good. Seriously - it's amazing. :)
  • twolilbeans
    Options
    I LOVE It too! However I haven't been able to eat much of it lately because I went a little over board one day and my body wasn't ready for it haha. I prefer to cook with the expeller pressed oil though, I can't really handle the flavor.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I love it! I use it for beauty rather than cooking...I prefer the taste of olive oil. I mix coconut oil with cocoa butter for my skin, and for my face just use straight coconut oil. Also a good weekly hair treatment. You can also use it for...uh...personal things? Like grapeseed oil. WAY better than any 'sensitive skin' KY stuff.
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options
    You can also use it for...uh...personal things? Like grapeseed oil. WAY better than any 'sensitive skin' KY stuff.

You're saying you use it as lube?? Ha! LOVE that!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You can also use it for...uh...personal things? Like grapeseed oil. WAY better than any 'sensitive skin' KY stuff.

:blushing: Other stuff isn't as gentle on my skin! Coconut oil doesn't have any burn-y chemicals, smells nice, and stays liquid at temps above 76 degrees! :wink:
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I may be "old" but I'm not dead and we LOVE coconut oil! I'm making mint chocolate massage butter this week to! For my girlfriends as gifts. Oh and the lemon hand scrub. :)

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/12/04/handmade-healthy-christmas-gift-ideas/
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Yeah... I may be "old" but I'm not dead and we LOVE coconut oil! I'm making mint chocolate massage butter this week to! For my girlfriends as gifts. Oh and the lemon hand scrub. :)

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/12/04/handmade-healthy-christmas-gift-ideas/

That sounds AWESOME! I need a creative friend like you to make this stuff for me :laugh:
  • kkarrolle
    Options

:blushing: Other stuff isn't as gentle on my skin! Coconut oil doesn't have any burn-y chemicals, smells nice, and stays liquid at temps above 76 degrees! :wink:

Guess we will have to rename the article: '81 uses for coconut oil' :laugh: