routine for a beginner?

Options
dargytaylor
dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
would anybody mind sharing a full body workout for a beginner? i was always very thin naturally (5'8', 110) but gradually gained weight (current weight 153). I have no body tone........I guess I am what people would call 'skinny fat?" LOL Back when I was thin I guess I had the mentality that I was thin so no need to work out?? Not sure what it was, but I never learned, never played sports, etc. etc. etc.

any help / suggestions would be awesome!

Nicole

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I use NROL4W (there's a group on here, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-), it's a book that has a 6 month lifting routine. I'm no stranger to the weight room, but I'm definitely finding it to be a great resource for having a plan of action.

bodybuilding.com is also a really good resource for programs.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    Thank you!

What do you think of the 30 minute circuit at planet fitness? I am a member there and was thinking to get my feet wet I may try that first. Thoughts?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Thank you!

What do you think of the 30 minute circuit at planet fitness? I am a member there and was thinking to get my feet wet I may try that first. Thoughts?

I haven't tried it, is there a description? Honestly, I love group classes (I'm a step and pump instructor), huge fan . . . but there's something about lifting heavy in the weight room that you just can't get anywhere else. Since I've started lifting free weights in the weight room a few months back I’m had far superior results than previous weight room attempts being dependent on machines. I now see my body pump class as more cardio than weight lifting.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    there is a work out area that has appx 20 machines and some steps for cardio. you begin at whatever machine you like. there is a light (like a stop light) that changes from green to red, green you begin, red you move on. In between the machines, you are suppose to do some sort of cardio on the step. All in all this circuit gives you a full body work out and some cardio for 30 minutes.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    there is a work out area that has appx 20 machines and some steps for cardio. you begin at whatever machine you like. there is a light (like a stop light) that changes from green to red, green you begin, red you move on. In between the machines, you are suppose to do some sort of cardio on the step. All in all this circuit gives you a full body work out and some cardio for 30 minutes.

Yeah, we're talking about starting a program like that at my club. They're good for a mixed workout, but it's cardio interval training that includes weights. It should increase your stregth to some extent.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    would anybody mind sharing a full body workout for a beginner? i was always very thin naturally (5'8', 110) but gradually gained weight (current weight 153). I have no body tone........I guess I am what people would call 'skinny fat?" LOL Back when I was thin I guess I had the mentality that I was thin so no need to work out?? Not sure what it was, but I never learned, never played sports, etc. etc. etc.

Nicole

ChaLean Extreme is a good weight lifting DVD program, if you want to work out at home.
  • dargytaylor
    Options

Nicole

ChaLean Extreme is a good weight lifting DVD program, if you want to work out at home.

Thanks!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My spouse was doing a pretty directionless work out and switched to what I'm doing because of the change he saw in my body and the speed at which it came. Keep in mind that it is very difficult for women not using steroids to put on muscle. Google stronglifts 5 x 5. It is important that you have an order and not just "start with whatever" You also must have a goal. That goal is to add 5 lbs to every lift every time. If you falter then you do that weight over again until you don't and then add 5lbs to the next round of that exercise. It works. You also need to eat your protien.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    My spouse was doing a pretty directionless work out and switched to what I'm doing because of the change he saw in my body and the speed at which it came. Keep in mind that it is very difficult for women not using steroids to put on muscle. Google stronglifts 5 x 5. It is important that you have an order and not just "start with whatever" You also must have a goal. That goal is to add 5 lbs to every lift every time. If you falter then you do that weight over again until you don't and then add 5lbs to the next round of that exercise. It works. You also need to eat your protien.

you are the second person to recommend this! I am going to be checking it out, thanks!!
  • Vmonique29
    Vmonique29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is good information. I am starting to understand the importance of weight training but I have no guidance whatsoever. I will check out the link above and hopefully that will point me in the right direction.
  • Shredded2011
    Options

Nicole

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/415496-getting-shredded - its a post I did in this womens strength forum tells you what to do. PM me if you want me to help you further x x

I do it!!! so whether your a beginner or not it doesn't mattter its the same. But you will just do less weight. If you need diet advice then thats more important than the actual weight routine for body building.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    im doing p90x which i have obtained great results from -esp if you want to train at home
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    irridia, I'm not familiar with the '5 x 5'. Can you be a bit more specific??

For example, my upper-body work-out is chest, then back, then shoulders, then tris, then bis. In a 5 x 5 set with chest, I'm not sure I could lift 5 lb. heavier each set (because I am using dumb-bells....and I'm only at 25.0 lb dumbbells on my HEAVIEST set, right now!), so what does that mean?? Same with bi's and tri's - I don't think I could go 5 lb. heavier EACH set.

So, I'm just trying to figure this out.

Shredded, I have looked at your work-out, too, and am curious. How long does the work-out take, from start to finish? (One of the reasons I'm liking body-for-life is I'm done in 25-30 minutes, which is all the time I have on my lunch-hour to do it!)