Well i just did day 1 week 1

Options
and im sooooo slow!!! and my shins hurt.. i am approxmately 30 kgs overweight right now tho.

is that normal?? did anyone else get that when they first started??

i used map my run and started off with an average speed of 3.89 km/h for the whole time.

Is that any good??? ive no idea if im doing any good on this :S

Anyways

im paulina.. pleased to be here and find this page :)

peace xxx

Replies

• katiewcurlz
    Options
    Today was my first day too! Not too sore - yet. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Good luck!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I could barely get through W1D1 and yes leg muscles did hurt. I'd say that's normal.
    Don't worry about how fast you're going, you'll speed up as you get used to it.
    I started with W1D1 in June this year and now I run 5K in just under 28 minutes on a hilly trail. C25K will get you there! :smile:
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting out there and getting started! I'm about 50 lbs overweight and I am on Week 5! Just did the 20 minute run today! Woohoo!

I am very slow too, but no worries. We can work on speed later. You have to build up your endurance first. Take it one workout at a time, get adequate rest, ice your shins.......don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you have to. Everyone's body responds differently.

Congrats again for making that all important first step!

Lori
  • PauliesGettingFit
    Options
    Well today i feel pretty good.. not much soreness.. i did totally forget to stretch tho :S

i feel completely rewarded... i feel more pain while im actually running rather than post workout... no good. but ill guess ill be training my body to cope with it gradually.

Thanks for all your encouragement and feedback its wonderful.

Katie: sooo glad you added me.. we can compare notes on how it goes..

Flabulous: (i love your name) how impressive is your accomplishment.. i cant wait to get to that point where im running the 5k and competing in events.

Lori: 20 minutes running in week 5 already??!?! oh ****..i hope ican do that.. congratulations to you for keeping with the program..

i cant let the heat (i live in australia.. and its summer here) stop me.. i guess thats why i need to run at night (to protect the children from trauma when they see me huffing and puffing and all sweaty) and walk/yoga in the am.

Anyways.. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND THANKYOU for your encouragement xxxx

Paulina <3
  • Rydell86
    Rydell86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem you did with my W1D1 (which was Saturday last week). I had the outrageous amounts of pain in the shins, and got slower as I went. But then later I felt alright (but was a bit stiff the next day). I'm probably about 50kg overweight at the moment and am hoping this will help me drop it down.

I'm using our summer to encourage me to go. Am using daylight savings to my advantage and go about 6pm. That way it's still light enough I can see, without scaring too many children. :-) Unfortunately our rain on the weekend (and a sprained ankle after my company Christmas party) meant I haven't gotten back to it since last weekend and intend to get back into it from Wednesday. :-)

Good luck!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Please don't worry about the longer runs later in the program. If you do your workouts as written, you will be totally ready for the longer runs! The key is to go slow.....just keep running!

I went thru a period of sore shins this summer when I was doing another running program. Stretching is key and also icing after your runs.

Lori
  • zozilla09
    zozilla09 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to do day 1 week 1 when I get home tonight. I started the program a bit over a month ago but got waaaay off track. Today I'm determined that I'm back on track so hopefully I end that way too. I too am about 50 Kgs overweight. I keep telling myself that my legs ought to be strong after carrying me around...hehe BUT when I exercise I find out that I am WRONG. :blushing: Glad to know there are others at the starting line too! One thing I've been trying to figure out is how to get a podcast downloaded to my ipod!!! That is soooo frustrating. I'm certain I'm doing something wrong but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I can't even get a podcast to work on my blackberry. Evidently I'm technologically de-clined. haha Any tips would be appreciated. I'd like to have something tell me what to do and when to do it instead of relying on a clock. I can't breathe and count at the same time when I'm on the treadmill...lol
  • PauliesGettingFit
    Options
    I will definately invest in some ice packs for post running.. the shin thing really slows me down and its pissing me off cuz the pain is blah...i will admit tho that i dont do my pre stretches.. i do my warm up brisk walk as required but then just run at a gentle light pace because i worry a) about my shin pain and b) i have weak ankles.. so im a tentative slow runner..

i may invest in some ankle straps too and some panadol for after the run.. or pre run????

Where abouts r u in Aus Rydell???

Primalgal thanks for the tips ill buy my extras tomorrow so when i run tomorrow night i have a decent system to incorporate until i get and strong enough for my legs to take running on the road.. ( i run on the road as the pavement here in my suburb is so wonky, and i dont wanna break my ankle)

Zozilla: google c25k and i think theres a link on there to podcasts.. just click the links till you hit download button.. and save it to the desktop of your computer.. or.. i can email them to you.. then u just gotta transfer them to your blackberry..

i have them right up to week 5...

my tip for running with the podcast is keeping one ear plug in so i can hear the music and the prompts to start running or slow down to walking, but also so you can hear your own breathing and when the running gets hard you focus on your breathing and before you know your back down to your walk!

im looking forward to attacking this D3 w1.. and see how i cope with w2. :s
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Paulie:

First off, congratulations! Whatever you may think about running 20 minutes in Week 5, W1D1 is the hardest run of them all.

Second, You'll do more good for yourself by stretching AFTER a run than before. There's no harm in stretching before, but stretching after will help you more. Google for some stretches for the calf and the anterior tibialis (that's the muscle in your shin that's probably hurting), and do them after your warm-down walk, and again a couple of times later in the day. It'll do wonders for the shin pain.

Ice is nice too. I had some shin pain up through Week 3, but ice and ibuprofen (vitamin I) helped get it under control.
  • elizabeth_irenex3
    Options
    Hi!

Congrats on starting:)
    I just wanted to say it doesn't matter how fast or slow you're going, what matters is that You're doing it!
    I started a week ago and though I was running on the treadmill at 5 mph, it was hard for me to do. But by
    the end of the first week I already found that my starting speed was a little too slow for me.

You'll be able to do so too and once you do, know that you're getting stronger :)

It is normal for your shins to be sore, I have that same issue.
    After your workout, do stretches that stretch your shins and it will help reduce it.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I used to have pain in my shins and knees. I saw a podiatrist and he made inserts for my shoes. It turns out my feet were 'pronating', which is when your feet roll inwards which causes stress on your shins and knees.
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did my first day of C25k yesterday. I am using a free app for andriod phones called C25K Lite. I use my phone for music and it does a beep over the music at every interval. It was hard but I stuck through it and finished the first day!! Congrats on starting too!
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did my first day of C25k yesterday. I am using a free app for andriod phones called C25K Lite. I use my phone for music and it does a beep over the music at every interval. It was hard but I stuck through it and finished the first day!! Congrats on starting too!
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Did my first day Sunday, the 1st. I never though Id say this, but I had a great time doing it!!!
    I've been doing 30 day shred for about 6 weeks, so its not like I was actually starting at couch level. I've always had trouble with running though. I found that on the treadmill, my shins hurt, while on the trail they don't. I ran on a sandy trail, and as an added bonus for difficulty, 7 of 8 running intervals were uphill, varying inclines. I had a great time. Today is day 2 on the treadmill.

For anyone having trouble, I really do suggest jogging very slow. It helps a lot. And my body armor bra is the best money ever spent!
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    c25k d1w1 is definitely the hardest. I did my 20 minute run today, with the update of their program, w6d2 is the dreaded 20 minute run. I have NEVER ran before starting C25k and to have accomplished the 20 minute run today is a major achievement for me. As for speed, I'm a sure a toddler on a tricycle is faster than I am but who cares? the point is that I went from barely being able to run for 1 minute to running 20 minutes. C25k is responsible for helping me achieve this. Forget about speed, that'll come, endurance is what's important, IMO. Good Luck! You can do it!!
  • supermomrn247
    supermomrn247 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did week1day1 this morning and found it "doable" it is so hard to start over at couch level when I used to run marathons! It is very encouraging to hear the stories of people who have followed this program and had it work for them. I would be delight to be friends with anyone else who is just starting so we can encourage each other.

The hardest part for me is I have to go early early before my husband goes to work while the kids are sleeping. Right now it is very dark and cold and we have a lot of potholes in my neighborhood. I run with a light, but find it also makes it hard for my eyes to adjust to things farther away. Still trying to figure out exactly the best way to do this!

I also started the other programs by this group-"100 pushups" "200 situps" and "200 squats" We'll see how they go!
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    the point is that I went from barely being able to run for 1 minute to running 20 minutes. C25k is responsible for helping me achieve this. Forget about speed, that'll come, endurance is what's important, IMO.

That is so great to hear! I was looking ahead at the workouts and about fell off the couch when I saw the 20-minute run and then the 35-minute run! I thought to myself, 'There is NO way I am going to be able to do that!" I am glad to hear the program worked for someone who was a beginner, too. That gives me hope! Thanks!
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day too! I am so proud of me for finishing it
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Just finished day 1! Was better than I thought it would be, I took my dog, I think she enjoyed the running bits!
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    You can check out Zensah compression leg sleeves too. I use them more for speeding up recovery, but they're dual calf/shin support and it's supposed to help with shin pain during workout. I can't attest to this because I only use them post-run, but it might be something to look into.