Road Trip Strategies

Options
I'm driving back to Kansas on Thursday to spend the holiday break between semesters with my husband. Hank and I will be on the road all day Thursday and much of Friday. Usually I stop at Subway for lunch and then I pick up a grilled chicken sandwich, small fries and a Diet Coke at Wendy's for dinner after we check in to our motel. I checked the calorie counts on the stuff I usually get and may have to make some adjustments. I've gotten the Subway veggie patty in the past, but it is pretty high in calories, so this time I'll probably get the straight veggie sandwich. But I don't know if I'll want that for lunch, dinner and lunch again the next day. Maybe I'll get the turkey breast once or twice (Sorry, Paul). The Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich is pretty high in calories, too, but it's not outrageous, I guess.

I'm not a big snacker while I drive, so I don't think that'll be a problem. And usually what I do have in the car is pretty healthy.

Hank and I stop at rest areas pretty frequently and go for walks. This time we may even do some short runs.

So, do you have any suggestions? What are your road trip strategies?

Replies

• Mrsdjd
    Mrsdjd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've packed stuff to eat. Is there a microwave in the hotel room? Travelling is tough, the rest stops usually have crap. I drove the NY stare throughway in May and some of the convenience stores at the rest stops had fruit, apples with cheddar cheese.
  • morganalefay66
    morganalefay66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I never get anything at rest area vending machines, unless it's a diet Coke or something. But this time I actually bought a 6-pack of 12 oz. diet Cokes just because they're cheaper than what you get at a convenience store.

As far as convenience store food, whenever I can I stop at Quik Trip, because they have fruit and veggies.
  • Bob_III
    Options
    My wife and I drove from Chicago to California on the southern route this past summer. At the time I was just adding carbs back to my diet, so I mainly ate salads and meats. One staple was at McDonalds. I'd get 3 double cheeseburgers and my dear wife would prepare them by taking them out of the buns and cutting them to bite size pieces, so I could eat and drive at the same time. I know, no help to you, but good memories for me... :)
  • IronDeli
    Options
    I have nothing to say that will benefit you. Whenever I go on a road-trip, I make the best of it. I make it a rule to eat at places that don't exist in Phoenix. And if I happen to be in a location that was visited by Man vs. Food's Adam Richman, I'll go there and order whatever he ordered. I probably eat 10,000 calories a day on vacations.