Getting back on track....

Options
emariec78
emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
So how is everyone doing? The weekends always seem to get quiet around here! I feel like I've been really off track recently and struggling to get back to a healthy eating regimen. I've had 4 binges in the last week including last night and friday. I was really frustrated after my pizza eating incident on thursday and got into that "eat all the bad food so it isn't here anymore" mode last night and friday. And unfortunately there was quite a bit of bad food left around from the holiday. I'm just feeling pretty blah, my clothes feel tight and the scale is up. So today is day one again and I am determined to have a good day and start my week off right!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend :smile:

Replies

• fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    you and me both! Let's get back on the wagon! :smile:
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Good luck to everybody back on the wagon. Sorry to hear that last week wasn't so great. Here is to a new day and a new week :)
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    I was raised to not waste food, to clear my plate. So I go into that "eat all the bad food" mode frequently, so I don't waste it by tossing it out.

I feel very ill right now. Ate at least 1 doz shortbread cookies with hershey's kisses inside and I know the food log is off. It's calculated about 500 cal, but it feels at least twice that. And I'm forcing myself to keep it in, too.

Dammit, I need to put this behind me.
  • fairfieldbeach
    Options
    I was raised to not waste food, to clear my plate. So I go into that "eat all the bad food" mode frequently, so I don't waste it by tossing it out.

I feel very ill right now. Ate at least 1 doz shortbread cookies with hershey's kisses inside and I know the food log is off. It's calculated about 500 cal, but it feels at least twice that. And I'm forcing myself to keep it in, too.

Dammit, I need to put this behind me.

Sorry, rainydayboys. I can relate. It is just one day, though, and it's a victory that you're not purging, right? :flowerforyou:
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    And holy frack I redeemed myself by getting on the treadmill. I did an actual recipe entry and discovered that the cookies were 110 cal each and I ate a dozen. Ouch, So I got on the treadmill for an hour - the first time in MONTHS! - and I'm under for the day! Of course, I haven't had any real supper and it's 10:15 pm, but I feel better about my binge. And all the cookies are gone now, so I can't do it again, right?
  • SanFranRunner
    Options
    Hi everyone. I also had a bad weekend and am getting back on track this week. I am holding off on weighing myself until Friday because I know the scale is probably up and I don't want to get discouraged.

Sorry to hear that so many of you also binged this weekend. The weekends are TOUGH!
  • emariec78
    Options
    I've decided not to log my food this week to see if it helps. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on doing this so I'm a bit nervous but so far so good. I just have had this sneaking suspicion that even though I'm not deprived at all someplace in my sub-conicous thinks I am by looking at how "little" I eat in my food diary. Consciously I do often question how accurate the calorie goals are on here so this week I am just going to eat like a "normal" person and not track food and see how it goes, well or how long I last :smile:

Hope everyone else is having a good week so far!
  • SanFranRunner
    Options
    How has this been going for you? Have you found that not logging your food has helped you to feel less deprived?

Personally, this has been a BAD week for me. I have binged four times. My new strategy is to journal every night after dinner in order to work through my urges to binge and attempt to stave them off. I am so frustrated with myself for letting things get out of control!
  • emariec78
    Options
    Well, that's tough to say. I have found myself doing some mindless eating but I haven't binged so I guess that is better. I haven't gained any weight since the beginning of the week, but I also haven't lost. To be fair I also have only exercised one day this week (that was not intentional). In my mind, though, I sort of feel like not logging my food is like giving myself permission to gain weight. Like I should go ahead and eat bad since I will gain weight from not tracking anyways.

To be honest for about the last month I've really been questioning if staying on MFP and doing the tracking is the right thing for me to do at this point. I know that on some level logging and tracking my food is a trigger. I've also been gaining and losing the same three pounds for the last 7 months so I'm certainly not making any weight loss progress by doing this. I guess not tracking my food is sort of a last ditch effort to see if I can get this to work by just leveraging the support and knowledge aspect of everything here.

Sorry you've had a bad week. I normally enter everything at the beginning of the day so I would be interested to hear how it goes for you to do it at the end.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Well I had a pretty good week. On the logging issue in my eating disorder program I was in for the last 3 months they really consider normalized eating as 3 full meals and 2 to 3 snacks per day. the snacks should be no more than 2 items and from 2 different food groups. I don't know if this works for me.

My belief is we all need to find what works best for us. For me I need to log because the 3 months I was in program I gained 15 pounds. They also strongly believe that obsessive weighing is part of the ED. That I agreed on and have since than stopped weighing myself everyday. Right now I am trying new things and trying to make sure I obsess over nothing and trying not to binge at the same time. This week I managed to lose 2 of 15 gained since August. I was not crazy if I went over my calories either and I tried to moderately exercise also. Yesterday I did 2 workouts because of some overeating I did one day and just because some Fridays I workout twice. Working out Fridays is one of my skills for not binging. I find if I have nothing to do and I workout I will not binge.

To get back to logging, I am doing it but not really to count calories. I wish they had a way for us to log without the calories. I feel that logging your food into a pocket journal is just as effective as long as you log. The ED program did not say not to journal but they said not to count calories. And with journalling they recommend being mindful of thoughts and feelings. No one has a magic pill but we can never give up the fight.

When I was in the ED program it was still useful for me to come to MFP for support even though I was not logging here. Now I am done I like logging here for the organization of it. Hope this helps.

One day at a time :flowerforyou:
  • fairfieldbeach
    Options
    Hi, guys. I've been okay--no bingeing, but that's either because of all the family drama happening here which is distracting me or maybe the supplement, N-Acetylcysteine, that my doctor recommended me to take is helping. I take it twice a day (500 mg) and it does seem to work on the brain chemistry to combat cravings. It's nonprescription--you can get it at GNC or drugstore.com.

Bye for now and wish everyone a good week! I turn 48 Monday ----how did that happen? :laugh:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys. I've been okay--no bingeing, but that's either because of all the family drama happening here which is distracting me or maybe the supplement, N-Acetylcysteine, that my doctor recommended me to take is helping. I take it twice a day (500 mg) and it does seem to work on the brain chemistry to combat cravings. It's nonprescription--you can get it at GNC or drugstore.com.

Bye for now and wish everyone a good week! I turn 48 Monday ----how did that happen? :laugh:

Thanks for tip on N-Acetylcysteine. I am going to check into it. Is this natural? Like a vitamin? The doctor recommended this to you for binges??
  • fairfieldbeach
    Options
    Yes, it's a natural supplement. Apparently, it has been shown to work on OCD-like tendencies and gambling compulsions, and there have been small studies regarding its effectiveness on reducing bingeing.
  • emariec78
    Options
    Thanks for all the insights Mollie! I am trying to just mainly focus on having my meals and a couple reasonable snacks, so its good to know that is recommended. For the most part I do pretty good with that and I'm confident I can eat the right things, I guess the biggest battle is overcoming the mental hurdle that I'm not doing the right thing if that makes sense. Sadly, after so many years of obsessing about calories I can keep a pretty accurate tally in my head so I start adding it up and think I'm having a bad day even if it really isn't that bad. I think that's why right now I feel like I need to stop tracking at all. I am fortunate (er, I guess :tongue: ) to be living alone so there is no temptation around if I don't put it here. Gaining from not logging really is my biggest fear, though! I don't know. I'm giving myself through next Friday to see how this goes.

I did actually have quite a going out debacle of eating yesterday. I brought home a ton of leftovers and ate them all even though I wasn't even hungry. I cringe to think how many calories it probably was but given that this restaurant actually had deep fried twinkles on the menu you can imagine how healthy the rest of the food was. I'm pretty sure just my leftovers were probably around 2000 calories if not more. Yuck.
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    Why do I have to start fresh every day? Every single day I tell myself to stay on track, stay away from the chocolate. Everyday it works up to 3pm-ish. And then all hell breaks loose and I devour whatever I can get my hands on, no matter what I've eaten before, no matter how much healthy food is on hand. No matter what. I'm still painfully stuffed from supper 3.5 hours ago. And yet I eat.

Is it a will power thing? Self-sabotage? Why can't I shake this?
  • SanFranRunner
    Options
    Why do I have to start fresh every day? Every single day I tell myself to stay on track, stay away from the chocolate. Everyday it works up to 3pm-ish. And then all hell breaks loose and I devour whatever I can get my hands on, no matter what I've eaten before, no matter how much healthy food is on hand. No matter what. I'm still painfully stuffed from supper 3.5 hours ago. And yet I eat.

Is it a will power thing? Self-sabotage? Why can't I shake this?

I feel you. Last week was like that for me almost every day. I would wake up promising myself that things would be different, but they never were. This week, I have been writing in my journal every night after dinner and whenever the urge to binge strikes. It's actually been helping me a lot - today will be day four of not binging. Sometimes just pausing to think about what I'm doing is enough to make me snap out of it. Hugs to you!