malnourishment

Options
whoshigh
whoshigh Posts: 6 Member
I'm trying to lose weight while training for my third tri. At this point I have done two tri's, two half marathons and six century rides... plus countless 5K/10K runs. i'm obviously not new to the topic of health and fitness. However, I believe I am malnourished because my legs get fatigued for days, not just after working out. I am taking a multivitamin and fish oils to complete my diet on a daily basis.

Any advice?

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Get your Iron level checked. Multi Vit will not always prevent issues.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I second the iron level check.
  • whoshigh
    whoshigh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you think bananas are not enough? what else can i eat with a lot of iron?
    sorry, i just moved to a new country and i'm nervous about going to the dr.'s here..!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    By any chance, do you replenish your electrolytes when you're done working out? You might try something as simple as popping a NUUN tablet or two when you're done, to boost your electrolyte intake.

Do you replenish your calories once you're done working out? Once my workout's over, I get hungry pretty bad, usually for salty meaty things (my favorite is beef jerky), with some carbs thrown in for good measure. I read and read and read that you gotta get those calories in immediately after working out to help support your muscles.

My last question, I promise - what do you do to recover? Have you tried calf wraps, or recovery socks, or something like that to help keep your blood flowing? It sounds like you may have some circulation issues?

I wish you luck figuring it out. And good luck in your new country! Sounds like you live a pretty exciting life!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    You can take a multi-vitamin with iron in it. The dr. put me on prenatal vitamins from age 12-18 when I was a competitive swimmer because I was anemic. Now I take "Alive! Women's Multi-Vitamin" and it has all the iron you need. That said, iron is not as easily absorbed in pill form as it is in food form; I just don't know a lot of foods off the top of my head that have a lot of iron. Healthy cereals ususally have iron, lean meats have iron, some breads and milks are even fortified with iron.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to test for iron, promote its absorption, no coffe or tea either side of eating (is this a myth?). leafy dark green veg helps absorption as do most vit C sources, egg yolk, lean meat are good sources of dietary iron.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/iron-and-the-endurance-athlete.aspx