FAIL

Options
MrsTomkins
MrsTomkins Posts: 64 Member
so today was supposed to be my day 3 of my first week and I decided to take my pup Molly out with me for some company.. turns out she is a horrible running partner.. she almost tripped me like 3 times and was trying to stop every 3 minutes to sniff something.. so about half way through I just decided to walk..

I am not feeling ready to progress to week 2 anyways, I am still struggling to finish 8 reps of 60 seconds so I am going to restart week 1 on Sunday and see if 3 more rounds will help.

Replies

• zozilla09
    zozilla09 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why is the topic "fail"? You were still out and moving! I think it's awesome you started doing the c25k program. Maybe I read your message in the wrong tone but it sounded like you were disappointed with yourself. I hope that's not the case. No reason to be! (Except for almost tripping....that just wouldn't have been good). I say.....keep up the good work! You still made it through week 1! That's more than I've accomplished. I'm just getting ready to start the program!
  • jennrichhartle
    Options
    I tried taking my Boston Terrier along as a jogging buddy. It didn't work out, so now I am rocking the treadmill. it works out pretty well.

I feel the same way about putting off switching weeks. I have been considering doing at least one more day of week one, when I should be on to week two. Still haven't decided how I'm going to work that--guess I'll find out at the gym!

If you need more time to do week one, do it. The whole purpose of this is to get you fit, and only you know when you are ready to move it up to the next level. And when you do get there, the view from the top is glorious.

:flowerforyou:
  • HisBeachgirl
    HisBeachgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    so today was supposed to be my day 3 of my first week and I decided to take my pup Molly out with me for some company.. turns out she is a horrible running partner.. she almost tripped me like 3 times and was trying to stop every 3 minutes to sniff something.. so about half way through I just decided to walk..

I feel your pain! I took our 3yr old chocolate lab with me this morning (Week 2 Day 3) She would get in front of me, then slow down to look back and see where I was. Which of course, I was on the other end of the leash and almost fell over her! Then when we got by the ducks (the park I'm "running" at has a pond) she was all done with running and wanted to go say hi to the ducks. lol Off the trail I went, trying to yell at her between breaths!

But the rest of the time she did pretty good. Trotting along until I stopped to walk, then she'd look back like "okay". She's so cute. Hopefully as I get better and am able to run longer she'll stay focused.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It took me months to get my shiba to run correctly with me (i.e. no sniffing, stopping to pee everywhere and running under my feet). Then I stopped running. :sad: So I had to start all over.

What kind of lead to you have her on? I notice that Kaya runs much better on a harness/retractable leash combo as opposed to the neck collar/any kind of leash combo. To be honest, when I first started I ran MWF pet free and on Tu, Th, Sa & Su I'd take Kaya for fast 2 mile walks until she got the hang of the harness & leash. Then I gradually added her to my running routine, and now I get lonely if I don't take her with. She still runs away from me when I bring out the harness, but once we get outside she's all gung-ho! :laugh:

I think the first time I did this program I did week 1 for about a month because I was so afraid of moving to week two. When I got to week two all I kept wondering was what the heck was I so afraid of. That being said, don't feel like you have to complete this program in the exact time allotted! If you want to push yourself however, you can always try D1 of the next week and fall back to the previous week if you don't feel you worked up to your standards.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    When I decided to start this program I wanted to take my dog out with me. She is quite anxious and has some separation anxiety and I thought running with me might help her with that.

I learned very quickly if I gave her full length of the leash to run on then I would have major problems as she continually tried to cross in front of me, or would want to stop and sniff things.

Here's the trick that I learned running with her. I run on the road as I live out in the county. I run on the edge on the side of oncoming traffic, grassline/shoulder is on my left side. My dog runs on my right. I have the loop of the leash around my wrist and hold the leash about a foot and half from her collar. I keep her on a very short leash so to speak.

There is just enough slack to accomodate my arm movements as I run. This way if she trys to cross over in front of me, I flick my wrist and pull her back out of my way. She also cannot begin sniffing around as this short leashing keeps her from dropping her head.

I always make sure she has gone potty before we leave otherwise it doesn't fail, she must stop somewhere along the way to do the duties.

I think if I keep this up, eventually she will learn exactly where she is allowed to run and I'll be able to loosen the hold on the leash and not have to worry about her moving around.

**Note: my dog isn't really "running" yet, she is barely trotting yet. I'm hoping someday to actually get fast enough that she WILL be running with me :laugh:
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Our dogs have to be trained to do this to it will take a little time. Like the others said start with potty first then a walk and steady pace so they learn where their running place is beside you then as you increase speed they will too. It becomes something they look forward to and they are a running partner who won't let you down or let you skip when they become accustom to running.
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE taking my dogs with me...I have 2 labs...one is much better on the leash than the other, but they are both getting pretty good at it....just keep taking them. They will get used to it and they will also hold you accountable because they will want to go everyday!!!
  • greytblackdog
    greytblackdog Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Most dogs, like people, aren't natural runners on a leash. You will probably need to do some training with him and teach him how to stay next to you. A short leash is important, even one that goes around your waist is ideal when your dog gets good at it. Clicker training is a great method and of course smelly treats - like hot dogs or swiss cheese. I use the cue "keep it up" with my oldest dog who immediately picks up the pace and looks to my left hand for a bite of something. Sometimes she gets something. Sometimes she doesn't. But she always responds like I want her to because the possibility of a treat is there. Take your time training and you'll have an awesome running partner.