I can't reach my calorie goal. It's too much food!

Options
taso42
taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
People often complain that they can't reach their calorie goal. It is very important to fix this problem as soon as possible. Under-eating is just as bad as overeating. Ways to help alleviate the problem:

- Plan your day of meals ahead of time. Mentally factor in your exercise, or even pre-log it. If you eat a little more with each meal, it adds up fast.

- Incorporate calorie-dense foods. Examples: nut butters, olive oil, protein powder.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Also, avoid diet food! Real whole eggs instead of egg whites (cooked in canola oil or butter!). 2% or whole milk (in protein shakes even) and yogurt. Real cheese. Red meat. Butter. Whole chicken instead of boneless skinless chicken breast. Salmon. Fruit (bananas!).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    to add in some calorie dense foods;

full fat dairy

nuts

pasta

Also it is probably better for you to eat some unclean foods now and then to meet your cal goals then to chronically undereat
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I will never have this problem. Honestly I don't see how anyone could.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I will never have this problem. Honestly I don't see how anyone could.

And yet this question/topic gets posted everyday!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I mean, really, as long as pie exists. And even with "clean" eating I can scarf down a lot of sauteed cabbage with soy sauce.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I have a new trick to share. Get some Litehouse full fat salad dressing. It's made with canola oil. 2 servings of salad = 320 calories
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Sanitarium_Natur_4dce2327c337f.jpg
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Sanitarium_Natur_4dce2327c337f.jpg

Yum! This has saved me. I have a tub in the kitchen and I eat about a tablespoon and a half each day with some celery it is so delicious! :D
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I forgot to post this :tongue:

ist2_2890967_spoon.jpg
  • gem_cat
    gem_cat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    THIS IS THE STORY OF MY MFP LIFE EVERY SINGLE DAY.

my goal intake is 1,200 calories and i still can't seem to fill the day with enough calories. a week ago, i was at 900 cal average. this week, i tried to eat more with the encouragement of my ever supportive mfp friends. (:love::love: :love: )

today i was just at 950 cal so i made a peanut butter sandwich to at least fill the gap. I'm not gaining or losing weight for now.

EDIT: lol at the pics! i love peanut butter!
  • greghuston76
    greghuston76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Blue Cheese dressing...
  • Rae6503
    Options
    160 calories a serving and fantastic:
    0007766111792_500X500.jpg
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Had to add Natural (not roasted) nuts. Walnuts, almonds, and peanuts pack a calorie punch and have natural omega benefits as well.

Avocado is also a high density food that can easily be added to salads, or mashed and substituted (or just added) for butter or mayonnaise on bread.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think the problem, with me atleast, is that going from eating like crap to eating healthy messes with your head a little. The lack of education on nutrition and something as simple as weight loss just isnt common knowlege like it should be. If I eat super healthy all day long I cant log 1200 calories and still be hungry. I, however, have to eat that way for a while to get myself in the healthy eating mind set and increase from there, which is what I am doing now. I have decided this time that I am here to reach my goal and learn how to maintain for life. That will not be possible if I eat 1200 calories a day and not eat the foods I like. I will lose, but never be able to sucessfully maintain.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    i WISH I could STOP at my goal but I just keep going. Brushing my teeth doesnt even stop me. So i just cannot relate.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hi, in order to keep the FAQ as clean and concise as possible, I prefer that we keep the general discussion about the topic on the main forum boards.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.