Welome!

Options
Dundreggen
Dundreggen Posts: 41 Member
Hey how about an intro thread, and why you are ketoing your way to a healthier you ?(wow that sounded like a sales pitch didn't it?)

I gravitated to keto after starting a low carb diet. It blew me away at how easy this is, and how effective. Even with out the weight loss the not being constantly hungry is a huge win.

I learnt about keto through r/keto on reddit and decided to go from there.

Replies

• dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It sure is lonely in here! I'm aiming for keto, although tonight I had butternut squash soup at a Christmas party.....oops. Never mind.

I am enjoying it, which I definitely wasn't when I was trying to calorie count. HUNGRY. I eat so much better now, so much more veg and unprocessed food. Right now my weight loss has slowed considerably so I may soon start upping the carb level, but we'll see.

Any more keto kids out there?
  • davork
    Options
    I guess I will officially start ketoing tomorrow, now I'm getting used to the yummy fat that I have deprived myself of my entire life. I probably ate about 40 g of carbs today, so today could technically be day one.

I had 3 pieces of bacon and a hardboiled egg for breakfast, didn't really need anything else until 2-3, when I became hungry.

The hardest part so far is explaining it to my GF. I might not even try to explain it any of my other family...
  • mphartman
    mphartman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto for 2.5 weeks with my wife. I'm actually enjoying it. Prior to this we never cooked meals because we always ate separately.
  • rimandro
    rimandro Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have not started Keto yet but I will be starting Saturday to lose my last 5-10lbs. I plan on doing the cyclic keto diet (CKD) because I will be exercising about 5 days a week and might have to carb load before my workouts. I would prefer not to carb load and hopefully have enough energy by burning ketones so it's all speculation now. Will report my findings over the next couple weeks.
  • Surf500
    Options
    I've officially been on it for 2 weeks today. I have so much more energy and have lost 10 lbs (some water weight but I can tell that I've lost fat also).
  • lovensunshine
    lovensunshine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started Monday and haven't lost anything yet, but I'm thirsty today, so hopefully it kicks in soon. I've lost 40lbs on low carb before, so hopefully I can do it again.
  • amdwrn
    Options
    Hi there. I am Alison, I'm a 24 year old 5'6" tall lady from Long Island, NY. My starting weight was 190 lbs and my goal is somewhere between 130-140, not sure exactly where yet. I started keto five weeks ago and am down about 10 lbs. I have always been overweight and really want to surpass the barriers I have set for myself and get healthy, so that's what inspires me. That and my dragonfly necklace... Google the story of the dragonfly for more info on that :)
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I'm Tina, I'm 43 yrs old, 5'5", and 151 lbs. I'm a competitive weightlifter and have normally competed in the 58 or 63 kg class; right now, I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over what I should be for training weight.

So.

I seem to have issues with carby stuff, and I have really no idea what started the weight gain, but regular dieting wasn't budging the scale, so here I am. I did Atkins for about 2 years about 10 years ago, and then a CKD maybe 5 years or more ago. I'm missing my cottage cheese and greek yogurt a bit, but those were foods that were hard for me not to overeat, so good riddance, I suppose. Right now I'm trying to stop using artificial sweeteners, but it's tough. I was using 2 sweet and lows and an equal in a large coffee several times/day, as well as adding a sweet and low and an equal to any snacks, diet cocoa, etc. I think my taste buds have been paralyzed; I have a very hard time detecting a normal level of sweetness in most foods.

Anyway, goal is somewhere between 140-142 lbs to start. I'll eventually want to get to around 136, but I can easily cut a couple pounds for meets so the first number range is the important one.

Thanks for starting the group!

Tina
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My name is Alexis. 2 Years ago I weighed 265 pounds. Having been overweight my entire life, I figured it was hopeless. Something snapped once I graduated university and I started my trek towards healthy living. Lost 70 pounds through your basic eat less move more diet/lifestyle. After a lengthy period of not watching what I ate, I am now feeling very motivated to get rid of the last 30 through keto. Loving it so far.
  • Dundreggen
    Dundreggen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow hey activity!!

Great to see you all. And it will be nice to have a keto friendly forum as the main forums seem very anti low carb anything.
  • Rolodex84
    Options
    Hello I'm James. I've been on Keto for about a month and a half. I've done other diets before and I'm doing this to get to my goal of 160 and see how I feel from there. Started at 220 and I am currently at 170 with the aid of keto. Cheers!
  • HollyJanelle76
    HollyJanelle76 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello all - my name is Holly and I have lost from 278 down to 180-182 with eating lower carb. However, I took up walking/ running intervals and started to feed into the "eat more carbs" for long runs theory, so I've completely stalled. Looking forward to getting back into the strict low carb arena and still getting my runs in and breaking through this plateau.
  • hlynn1986
    hlynn1986 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm Heather ! I come from a life of being the fat kid, and then going back and forth from skinny to fat all my life. I've got a history of eating disorders (anorexia, over exercising, binge eating) and the last few years have gravitated to binging all the time. I felt pretty out of control, tried the raw vegan diet and failed because of all the sugar from the fruit I was eating. It wasn't until I saw comments on reddit's r/loseit about keto helping bingers out that I realized I was sabotaging myself before. Within a week of trying keto all of my cravings went away. It just feels good to find something that doesn't make me feel out of control. There were so many times I thought of just offing myself because I couldn't control the anxiety I would get around food. Keto has saved me from the life I got so used to. I still have a lot of issues with falling off track after I have a cheat day, but I am making a lot more progress than I was a year ago. A few kinks to still work out but I am gona get there. I've finally found the right tools.
  • l2rcc
    l2rcc Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello. My name is Wendi, and my daughter introduced me to keto. She's had lots of success with the weight loss - me, not so much. Upside, I'm truly enjoying my food, and I'm not eating so much junk!!

I've been eating a modified keto diet for about 6 weeks now - lots more veggies (and some fruit) than what she does. First 2 weeks saw amazing, quick loss. Then nothing. Now - I'm about 3 pounds above where I started. Strange though, my clothes are still fitting better. I feel better. I'm trying to not focus on the number on my scale and just 'let' the weight go. In the mean time, I'll keep enjoying my steak.
  • EbolaLeak
    EbolaLeak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am Crystal. Today marks my 14th day on keto, and I have lost 15 pounds thus far! I'm loving how easy the diet is. It has been very beneficial to me so far. My binge eating and snacking has almost completely stopped! I seem to be eating very little calories some days, and I still feel very satiated. I want to get down to 170 pounds, right now I am 231. I'm 5'5 and I have naturally larger frame(genetics). Nice to meet you all!
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to be doing a CKD after this first 12 days is up. I'm lifting 6 days a week for far too many hours and I'm afraid my performance will suffer if I don't get some carbs in somewhere!
  • tdhlawyer
    Options
    @ adelaneyrn: Nice Swell Season reference!
  • astronautof
    astronautof Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I found Keto through r/loseit and decided I'd give it a try. I started with about 70lbs to lose, and I've lost the first 10 in 2 weeks on keto :) I've been overweight for most of my life, and since I'm coming up on a transition period in my life, I wanted a fresh start.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm brand new here, but did keto a few months ago. It really worked for me. i did get thirsty, muscle cramps and a bit of irritablilty till I got used to it.
    Then, the energy kick, and the weight loss - fantastic.
    I'm not sure why I began to come off it but I want to get back, so I need more motivation and a community to relate to. there is not may of us out there...
    Feel free to friend me.
  • shadea4455
    shadea4455 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Ashley and I've been doing Keto for a couple weeks now and competely got over a plateau I had been on for about a month doing just low calorie. Low carb seems to be the only thing that really works for me... So far, I'm loving it, but have very little support with this lifestyle, so anyone who needs friends, feel free to add me!!