Bone density

Options
kimiel51
kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
I'm having my first bone density screening tomorrow. With being post menopausal and having a history of thyroid disease, my gynecologist suggested that I get one. I'm 51. Has anyone else gotten one and what were your results/treatment?

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've not had one but I know my mom (76 yo) did. They compared her to an 18 yr old and said she needed to be on one of the medications!! DUH! :tongue: Once I did some research for her and got her the right combo of calcium and magnesium and vit C she went off the prescription. Her latest test showed no decrease in density so her dr said she was doing fine. Be cautious of the prescriptions out there for bone density and do research before taking it. (Bone density scanners and the pharmeceuticals work together!)
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    had my first bone density 2 years ago and have another scheduked for this coming Thursday. First one was fine, but due to medication my physician recommended calcium with vitamin d supplements. I've also added weights to my workouts. I'm curious tp see the comparison between the studies though
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My first is scheduled for January 3. You can bet I will be waiting to here how things go during the test and what is proscribed after.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a test - but have been very mindful of weight bearing exercises and keeping good quantities of dairy in my diet. I also take 1000 units of vitamin D a day as I tend not to spend too much time out in the sun.
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Had one a year ago. Found out I have osteopenia, and am very close to osteoporosis (I was at -2.4, and -2.5 is osteoporosis). My doctor recommended I get my Vitamin D checked, and found out it was really low. He recommended extra calcium and 2000 units of Vit D daily. I didn't do a good job of taking them though, and got reprimanded pretty good at my most recent appointment a month ago. (I didn't realize how close I am to osteoporosis until this last appointment.) So now I'm making a real effort to take my vitamins. I'm supposed to get the Vit D rechecked in Feb to see if it's helping. I thought I was doing well with calcium in my diet, but since my Vit D was low, I probably wasn't absorbing it well.
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've had quite a few bone density tests in the last 10 years. I had osteopenia, and moved into osteoporosis a couple years later. I took calcium and D, but wasn't totally consistent. Dr put me on a weekly (Atenol) along with the Calcium and D. I've had to stop the Atenol a couple times - once when I was having some dental work done, but am back on it again. I'm holding my own. I do try to walk most every day and am much better about taking the medications prescribed. I haven't been tested for two years now, so expect at my next physical next Spring he will send me for another. The test itself is super easy. Just tell lay on a table and relax while the machine does its thing. The tech may show you results, but probably you will have to wait for your dr to interpret the readings. Good luck. Hope all is well. :smile:
  • kimiel51
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm still waiting for the results!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was just at the obgyn and she didn't schedule a bone density test. I'll be 52 in May, but I'm not post-menopausal... maybe that's why.

I have been taking calcium supplements for over 25 years. Switched to calcium citrate about 10 years ago. I also take vitamin d and a multi mineral citrate supplement. I also drink a couple of ounces of milk with breakfast most days. I read that there is an element in milk that helps break down fat, who doesn't want that?

I recently started a strength training program that is quite a bit more aggressive than what I used to do so I am anticipating good results whenever I do get the scan!

One reason I started working on my bone health at such a young age was because I am 6 feet tall and figured that I really need to take care of them since they are unusually long. ;)
  • kimiel51
    Options
    The results were some bone loss in my right hip. She is sending me for vitamin D blood work, to check for a deficiency!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had one about 2 yrs ago, results were no bone loss. However I have shrunk from 5'10" to 5'9" but apparently that is not much to do with the bone loss but more other issues of the spine. I just had another test on the 12th Dec and I am waiting for the results now. Hopefully I have no signs of any bone loss once again, I imagine I will have to wait until next week to have the results as the offices might be closed for the day tomorrow...
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I never reported back on the bone density study. It was a breeze. I am osteopenic - between good and bad density. I have not been told to take prescription drugs. I am on a Calcium supplement twice a day. Exercise and some weight training were recommended. Part of the blame was put on my past life ( those teenage years are back to haunt me - I was a gymnastic and a bit too active through college).