Trip Reports

Options
JoniBologna
JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
Hi fellow hikers!

I thought this thread would be a fun place to share trip reports of everyone's adventures. Of course, I would be more than happy to help anyone wanting to upload pictures, so ask questions as needed.

Last weekend, my boyfriend Nick, my friend lanorrr, and I went hiking up a small foothill just west of Golden. It is named Mount Galbraith. The trail is a little over 4 miles with a 1100ft gain, so it will get your heart rate going but not take too long. It was a severely windy day. Almost a little scary windy at the top. Besides a little ice in shady spots, the trail was dry. It was sunny and mild, considering the wind. I love taking pictures this time of year because even at 2pm everything has that golden/sunset look because the sun is so close to the horizon. It made for some beautiful views and pictures. We even stumbled upon a few deer.

Down below is Golden. To the right of the tree is the gigantic Coors Brewery. Over the top of the plateau, you can see Denver.

2yv5c0j.jpg

am4fau.jpg

Replies

• GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Wow, Joni, these are gorgeous! Must have been breathtaking. Love hiking in dry weather, especially when I'm on a lot of rock. Do you take a small camera with you on the trail? I usually just take photos with my smart phone, for less weight in my hip pack, but the quality isn't nearly as good.

Had an awesome 7 mile hike today with two of my sisters, did trail running on a couple of those miles where the path was decent, and the wind has picked up a lot now that the trees are nearly all bare. Now just need to upload a couple photos. = )
  • GreenLifeGirl
    Options
    Ok, here are a few pics from the last three weekends - the Gorge (stream and mountain ridge- two wkends ago), Black Forest (flowered path and sky- last wkend), and Radnor (sunset- yesterday)...in no particular order...

black%252520acre%252520w%252520D%252520and%252520J.jpg

radnor%252520nov2011.jpg

sky%252520nov2011.jpg

gorge%252520waterfall%252520mod.jpg

gorge%252520ridge%252520nov2011.jpg

sorry about the photo quality- taken with my droid phone
  • JoniBologna
    Options
    Do you take a small camera with you on the trail? I usually just take photos with my smart phone, for less weight in my hip pack, but the quality isn't nearly as good.
    Actually, I take a rather large camera with me. It's not overly obnoxious but is sizable. I don't take it every time though. I shoot with a Canon XTi Rebel. It's got fantastic picture quality and has even gotten me a few paid gigs. Mainly, I am interested in bringing video cameras on hikes. Hopefully, one day I can share my videos on here too!

I think your photos are great! Keep em coming. They make me feel really nostalgic and happy! I miss hiking back east so bad. I mean, Colorado is of course beautiful, but very different. I miss the lush trees, the rolling hills, and fog/haze (believe it or not). Looks like it was a gorgeous hike!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of your camera, Joni! I have an old school Cannon Rebel (think 35mm :laugh:) I've been wanting to get a digital one but keep spending my money on other things.

GLG~ Your photos are gorgeous regardless of the droid!
  • GreenLifeGirl
    Options
    Here here just a few photos from my backpacking trip along the southeast downs of Hampshire, England...went with a couple dear friends...this is close to the Seven Sisters (chalk cliffs/beaches)...on the South Downs Way. These photos are just a very few that I have handy- most are on my external hard drive that I can't access at the moment.

southdowns_trailsigns.PNG

seven%252520sisters_southeast%252520hampshire.PNG

seven%252520sisters_southeast%252520hampshire2.PNG

linn_southdowns.PNG

The girl in the photo is not me, but a friend of mine from Sweden...thankfully we took these with her nicer camera. = )
  • GreenLifeGirl
    Options
    I'm so jealous of your camera, Joni! I have an old school Cannon Rebel (think 35mm :laugh:) I've been wanting to get a digital one but keep spending my money on other things.

GLG~ Your photos are gorgeous regardless of the droid!

thanks, joyous = )
  • JoniBologna
    Options
    I spent last weekend in Carbondale, CO, which is close to Aspen. The dominating feature of the landscape is Mount Sopris. It has twin peaks, both with an elevation of 12,965ft and an impressive 6,250ft gain from the valley below. To see more of my photography and to read more about my adventure check out: www.facetothesunshine.blogspot.com

2u8c93p.jpg
  • GreenLifeGirl
    Options
    Your blog is great, Joni....the photos are gorgeous and I love reading your trip logs. Your photographs inspire me to be more faithful in taking a good camera on my hikes.
  • JoniBologna
    Options
    Your blog is great, Joni....the photos are gorgeous and I love reading your trip logs. Your photographs inspire me to be more faithful in taking a good camera on my hikes.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your support, and I'm a very happy to have inspired you! :smile:
  • senwithers
    senwithers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Those pictures are gorgeous, you two! Thanks for sharing them! I also love to carry my Canon Rebel Xt on hiking trips and I don't care about the hassle to carry it, the picture quality is worth everything! haha I don't know how to share pictures on here though....how do I put them in?
  • senwithers
    Options
    I spent last weekend in Carbondale, CO, which is close to Aspen. The dominating feature of the landscape is Mount Sopris. It has twin peaks, both with an elevation of 12,965ft and an impressive 6,250ft gain from the valley below. To see more of my photography and to read more about my adventure check out: www.facetothesunshine.blogspot.com

2u8c93p.jpg

YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY IS BEAUTIFUL! And ohmygosh do I love Colorado. I went there in '07 and absolutely fell in love with it. I was all set to move out there....then I met my other half haha Who isn't too keen on leaving the East Coast. But I lived the life I imagined through your pictures haha Thank you for sharing that!
  • veronicastelo
    Options
    This is a great walk I did last week that starts in the bush and takes you out to the coast in the Royal National park just south of Sydney. It's a great mix of bush, temperate rainforest and coastal environments.

[ img ] 6492165343_2fdc2c1e0f.jpg
    PC020975 by vercasep, on Flickr [ /img ]

[ img ] 6492010815_1f5781a8cb.jpg
    PC020952 by vercasep, on Flickr [ /img ]

[ img ] 6492130547_b6041f34eb.jpg
    PC020970 by vercasep, on Flickr [ /img ]

Here are some creepy crawlies that I met along the way. A brown snake that we had to spend twenty minutes trying to dodge, bull ants and blue bottles along the beach.

[ img ] 6492082835_ce2a443cba_m.jpg
    PC020963 by vercasep, on Flickr [ /img ]

[ img ] 6492152395_e93f975408_m.jpg
    PC020973 by vercasep, on Flickr [ /img ]
    [ img ] 6492064451_ba1da60b02_m.jpg
    PC020960 by vercasep, on Flickr [ /img ]
  • senwithers
    Options
  • GreenLifeGirl
    Options
    Wow, these are amazing photos, Stephanie...the jumping shots are totally creative...will have to try this! The one of you leaping above the rocks would make a great profile pic. = )

Veronica, your photos make me to want to go there...the beaches, cliffs, and riverbed...beautiful!!! The beach looks pretty quiet...do people swim there?
  • veronicastelo
    Options
    People do swim there but it is unpatrolled and it can get pretty rough. Most of the beaches outside the city are pretty secluded. I love having the beach all to myself!!
    I'm glad you liked the photos