Significant Others

Options

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and my boyfriend is 6'3" - 6'4". We've been together for 8 years ( I know, get married already :laugh: ) I think it's my own vanity that has always made me date taller guys. I feel so much bigger than average in so many situations, but when my tall man is by my side I feel small and girly! But that's just me. When you're lying down height doesn't matter if you know what I mean!:love:
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    repost sorry!
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I live in SW Michigan. I swear it's a tall area. I am 6' tall and I was NOT the only girl that tall. There were 4 of us in my class in high school that were 6', and TONS of girls 5'9" and up.

There's a lot of Dutch heritage in the SW Michigan area, and I've heard the Netherlands is currently the tallest country.

that is so funny! i am from Grand Rapids... and my whole family is gigantic! lol
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My short hubby, Kevin, is 5'7.5" and I'm 5'11" so it's not THAT big of a difference... He just hopes when we have a kid, especially if we have a son, that the kid gets my height and good looks! lol!
    I met him when he was 20 and I was 14... I was soon to be 15 though and he had JUST barely turned 20. We met on a social networking site his friend made before there was myspace and facebook... If he would have stuck with it we'd be using Xinil.net still... but alas that site is dead now.
    Anyway we "met" online on Oct. 25th. 2003. We started calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend in Dec. and We met in person in January before my 15th birthday and scared the crap out of my parents... I think they were more terrified than of Kevin than he was of them! We continued a restricted long distance relationship full of letters; gifts for birthdays, valentines day, anniversaries, and Christmas; emails and IMing; and once a week, a phone call!
    He came back to CO for my 18th birthday, proposed to me and then revisited in February for valentine's day and again in May for my high school graduation. A day after I graduated I flew back to CA with him. I lived with him there for two years and got marred on Oct 25th 2008. In April 2009 we moved back to CO. Now we've been here for a little over 2 years... It's nice being with him finally... It was worth the wait!!
  • bt_13_21
    bt_13_21 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    that is so funny! i am from Grand Rapids... and my whole family is gigantic! lol
    That's where we live. I'm originally from Holland. :) My whole family is gigantic too. Mom is 5'9", dad was 6'6" (died in 04), brothers are 6'7" and 6'4".

Jenn - see that your dad died young too. Mine was 50. :(
  • Jenn152
    Options
    That's where we live. I'm originally from Holland. :) My whole family is gigantic too. Mom is 5'9", dad was 6'6" (died in 04), brothers are 6'7" and 6'4".

Jenn - see that your dad died young too. Mine was 50. :(

Yeah I lost my father in 2006, he was 54. But I thank God for him every day because of all the things he taught me and the respect I have for my health after seeing what he went through (6 heart attacks, open heart surgery, and lung complications). I will be healthy for the rest of my life, even if it kills me! :wink:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am married to a definite shorty.

I'm 5'10" barefoot. I love wearing heels.

My hubby is 5'5.5" on a good day.

I met my hubby on Valentine's day almost 7 years ago, but it wasn't on a date. We actually were in the same training class at a job that happened to start that day.
    We were best friends for 3 1/2 years before we started dating and next Wednesday we will celebrate 3 years of marriage.

Our relationship (both as friendship and, later, a couple) has seen us through a LOT, not the least of which was my hysterectomy at the age of 23 or his bout with cancer when we were first married (he started 6 months of chemo 2 days after our wedding but has been cancer-free for about 2 1/2 years now).

Anyway, back to the height thing - I've been this tall since before I was 12 and I do have tall relatives... sort of. My uncles on my mom's side are fairly tall, and I think I have one or two tall cousins, but the rest of them are all shorties, and my dad's side of the family were all slightly shorter than average. My sisters are 5'2" and 5'6".
    My hubby got short genes from every direction and, although his dad is close to 5'8", that's about the tallest person - male or female - on either side of his family.
  • gossja23
    Options
    My SO is 6'1-6'2, and I am 6'0 (married 2 1/2 years) ...I have dated tall and short guys and I really do prefer someone who is my height or taller. I was always trying to make myself appear smaller when I dated short guys. Now I wear heels and don't mind if I am a little taller with big shoes.

I think guys are attracted to confident tall women, but sometimes they are scared so you just have to take the bull by the horns and be the outgoing one and strike up conversation.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and hubby is 6'2" been married for 23 yrs.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Tonnina, tallteacher and I are the ONLY ones with "shorties" for significant others?
    Really?!?!?
    That surprises me for some reason.
    What DOESN'T surprise me is the fact that my hubby and I have the greatest height difference (with the man shorter, the woman taller).
    He's at least 4 1/2 inches shorter. We look like this (I'm barefoot in the picture and so is my son, who is only 9 but is already close to 5' tall):
    AyersFamily.jpg
  • Jenn152
    Options
    i am sure there are many others with short SOs. I remember on the thread before we had the groups there being many others with short SOs. i just dont think that many people are active on the group threads.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a shorty!! I for some reason only attract shorter men. I can't recall dating anyone who has been taller! My SO is 5'8" and I'm 5'10." When he wears his work boots or dress boots, the difference is pretty slight as long as I'm in flats.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    My Man is 6'4" (I'm 6'1") and we have been together for 2 years. I dont really wear heels bigger than 3 inches so I'm generally never taller than him!

The shortest bf I've had was 5'11 and the tallest 6'9" but generally about 6'3 ish.

For me personally I like my guy to be taller than me and with a large-ish build so I feel smaller :oP
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My dude is 5'10" and I'm 5'9.25" and it kind of bums me out when I want to wear heels but I'm taller than him. It's not a big deal and neither of us are bothered by it, it just seems mismatched to me so I infrequently wear heels. :(
  • bt_13_21
    bt_13_21 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Our relationship (both as friendship and, later, a couple) has seen us through a LOT...
    Same here! 2 months after we were married my dad (age 50) basically dropped dead from a brain aneursym. The next 5 yrs in particular were very difficult. I've had many miscarriages (11 total), failed fertility attempts (3 IVFs) which set us back financially as well as being emotionally difficult, adoption attempts that were rollercoasters to the extreme. Now we have three beautiful kids, a son from Guatemala, a biological son and a daughter from Korea.

Even tho my hubby and I are the same height, he is naturally thin with an athletic build--I am not. Most of the 10 years we've known each other I have weighed more than him. It really used to bother me that I felt bigger than him, but I think CoryIda hit on the most important point. Sure, you should find someone you find attractive, but you should look for so much more than that. On our wedding day we had no clue what we were in for. We had no idea so many things would go so wrong so quickly. And my husband has stuck with me through all of it. I am so in love with this guy--together we are unstoppable!

I didn't mean to get so serious. I know this is just a fun, light hearted thread, it's just something about CoryIda's post touched me. We're all more than our size (height or weight). KWIM?

Screenshot2011-05-11at84701AM.png
  • Jenn152
    Options
    oh i love it! you guys have beautiful families!!! I love pictures!!! Thank you so much for sharing your stories too! :O)
  • kelliwiatrek
    Options
    My husband and I are exactly the same height (6'0"). My dad and my brother are both 6'4". My mom and sister are shorter than me and most of the people in my husbands family are short. I have always had to date men taller than me. I always felt like such a beast around shorter guys. I was always the tallest in junior high but finally most of the guys I grew up with finally shot up.

10371238.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'm several inches taller than my husband, he is a tall for a Thai & very stocky but still shorter than me. It is less noticeable in UK but when we are in Thailand we get a lot of comments & looks as Thai people are so short.

Our son is only 4 & already is over 4ft so think he has inherited my height, which hubby is quite pleased about.

I had never dated someone shorter than me before but if I refused to budge on that I wouldn't have had the last 11 years & a beautiful son to show for it. Never say never, as you don't know what you might miss out on.
  • MamaLutt
    MamaLutt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm six feet and my husband is 6'1". He claims to be 6'2", but he's totally not, and his posture is horrible, so most of the time I look taller than him. I hate that!
  • Karamonster
    Karamonster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Height is just a number! My hubby of almost two years is 5' 8 and I'm 5'11.