How much cardio do you do?

Options
thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
I'm new to NROLFW (finishing up my third week) and I'm wondering how much cardio you other NROLFW-ers do? I'm doing easy 15-20 minute jogs/biking on lifting days, and then 10 minutes HIIT and 10 minutes cooldown plus 15-20 minutes stretching on non-lifting days. So, not a lot. I'm hitting 5 days per week, but only 20 minutes per day.

If you do more or less, I'd love to know why!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i do 3 days of cardio...two days of 40 minutes (running sprints) and one long run day (about 2 hours of running). If i wasn't training for a marathon i'd just lift and not do cardio (other than intervals specified in program). i think its hindering my results because i'm alwasy sore from either running or lifting.

cant wait til march when i'm done with races!
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do a C25K workout before I lift, so about 25 minutes on the treadmill twice a week, I play hockey once a week and starting tonight an hour of sprints on the skate treadmill (I'll be splitting the session, so 30 minutes of skating and 30 minutes of rest) once per week. I would do more if I had more time or if I could run outside but that is the best I can do for now. I considered doing 30DS once a week, on a night that I can't get to the gym, but I have a love hate relationship with it since jumping jacks and skipping rope do not agree with my bladder (good thing my kid is cute!).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do about 20-30 minutes once or twice a week. Not a big part of my exercise routine
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do 10 min. intervals before lifting, sometimes I do 30 min. twice a week on non lifting days. I'm much more into kettlebells/bodyweight combos on my non lifting days 40 sec. max/ 20 sec. rest for about 20 min.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I don't do much cardio and I should be doing more. It's just that I really hate it. I don't even do the intervals after workout B in stages 2 and 4. I know it's probably why I'm not seeing results. I want to do something on my off days but I find the elliptical so boring. I just got Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack to do on my off days. Obviously I can't do it every day but it's just a little something so I'm not just sitting on my rear on my off days.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm a group fitness instructor so my schedule is:

Monday: 60 minutes of high impact step (body step) - afternoon
    Tuesday: 1 - 2 mile warm up + nrol - morning
    Wednesday: 60 minutes of cardio weights (body pump) - morning
    Wednesday: 60 minutes of spin (rpm) - afternoon and only if I have the time
    Thursday: 1 - 2 mile warm up + nrol - morning
    Friday: off
    Saturday: 60 minutes of cardio + nrol
    Sunday: off

I don't like to over do the cardio before I lift, it impacts how much I can lift because my legs are already tired.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I'm not doing a whole lot of cardio right now. I wanted to start Couch to 5k but it's getting too cold for me to run outside (can't do it on the treadmill because I can't change speeds that fast/often on it). I walk instead of taking the bus unless it's super cold outside. I get very bored on the treadmill or elliptical so I usually can't manage more than 15 minutes, not because it's too physically demanding but because I just hate it!

My gym membership is good for all the gyms in that particular chain, so I'm looking into going to another gym that's not as close to my house but has a pool. I haven't been swimming in years and I'm not particularly looking forward to having to shop for a bathing suit, though...
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I do about 20-30 minutes once or twice a week. Not a big part of my exercise routine
    ^ This. Plus the interval training in Stage 4.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm currently not at the gym (life got in the way, seven days a week of softball stuff, either training, coaching or doing the bar! Had to put my gym on hold until mid-Jan) but I do a 30 minute walk (to and from work) plus when I'm at the gym I do 20-30 minutes of cardio.

For me the cardio is for fitness (I need to run in softball. I'm slow as hell but I pitch so I need to have that fitness there) plus it's a great way for me to keep the depression at bay.
  • sadiesimp
    sadiesimp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I teach group fitness [Zumba, Aqua Zumba, Hip Hop Hustle, Low Impact Aerobics, etc.] so I end up doing a lot of cardio (anywhere from 45-90 minutes/day most days of the week depending on the day...). Since I've started this program, I've been trying to tone down my personal intensity when teaching classes but sometimes it is hard to do that when the participants get going and get excited and/or when they need that extra push!