Welcome

Options
Fieldsy
Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
I have been a binge drinker since I was 15 or so. I would only drink to get drunk and thought it was stupid otherwise. Over the years I have embarrassed myself, gotten into accidents, spent so much money, and just hurt my body. Im just looking to control my drinking. I do not want to quit, but I do want to have a healthy drinking lifestyle.

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I have always been an on/off binge drinker. Lately I have had the problem that, in part, to loosing weight I don't have the tollerance I used to. So before when I knew I could have X number of drinks and be "OK" but now that number knocks me on my *kitten*.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I see no other purpose for drinking aside from getting completely drunk. I can't just have one or two beers & call it a night. Not sure if it's how I'm wired being from Wisconsin, orrrr...lol Thankfully I've never been in any accidents & usually drink responsibly with a DD, but I've had more than my share of embarrassing moments to try & piece together after the fact. I did get 1 underage drinking fine when I was 16 though, when I first started drinking. When I joined WW in 2008 I gave up drinking for several months, because I knew I couldn't control myself. Once I got closer to my goal weight & realized I could just not eat all day (just carrots, salad, very light stuff) to balance out my alcohol calories I went back to drinking. I don't drink daily - usually just a weekend thing. Like you, I don't want to quit either, I just want to find a better balance. Probably going to get flamed by people, but hopefully those that have joined this group truly are in the same boat. Thanks for creating this group :)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have recently been pretty bad with my binge drinking.. Its horrible. After my daughter goes to bed its sad that I can't have just one beer or some every so often. We have been under alot of money stress the past 2 months and That is about the time it got bad. I rarely drank during the week, and bam all a sudden not only am i drinking but drinking 4-6 beers before bed!!!!
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    On weekends where I dont drink...I feel like I am missing out. I love times when I just have a few, but thats very rare. By the first hour of drinking, I am probably drunk.
  • jjolson70
    Options
    I never drank much until about 4 years ago when my husband bought a bottle of wine to have with dinner. I didn't like wine but I figured I would have some just to be nice and I haven't stopped since. The only thing that kept me from drinking a lot the past few weeks was painkillers I was on for a tooth. Now those are gone and I'm starting to drink again...but it's a lot less. I used to polish almost a whole bottle of wine a night or one of those premixed Jose Cuervo margaritas. I only had two glasses of wine last night. I haven't been logging my calories for a couple of weeks, so I'm sure the 15 lbs or so I lost are found again.
    Anyway, I think there's a place for booze in a healthy diet, as long as it doesn't replace food, which, honestly, it did for me sometimes.
  • felice03
    Options
    I have always been an on/off binge drinker. Lately I have had the problem that, in part, to loosing weight I don't have the tollerance I used to. So before when I knew I could have X number of drinks and be "OK" but now that number knocks me on my *kitten*.

I should also add to this that I am in the middle of a divorce and so being newly single makes me want to go out and drink when I can (when my daughter is with her dad). So there is a huge emotional connection right now as well.
  • OnWisconsin84
    Options

I should also add to this that I am in the middle of a divorce and so being newly single makes me want to go out and drink when I can (when my daughter is with her dad). So there is a huge emotional connection right now as well.

I am also in the middle of a divorce, so I know what you mean about wanting to go out & drink even more :noway:
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yea, I find drink 3 is when things can start to get crazy or stay tame. It is my determining factor drink (DFD). I feel so much better only having a couple of drinks, though. Now, that I am older my body doesn't tolerate hangovers quite as well as it used to when I was a spring chicken. For me, it was about enjoying other activities with friends outside of a bar/party scene. It came later in my life, but I am glad to be where I am at now. But, there is always that occassional party where things get a little out of hand. It is about being human.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    tiff: Love the WI comment :) I went to college in WI, and yes I drank the most of my life in those years. Lots of good beer and cheese "up dere." :)
  • KerstZab
    KerstZab Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink red wine... I usually have a couple when I go out. I'm a marketing/business development person. My job is to socialize and I have trouble dealing with social situations (you would think its not a good job for me to have, but after a few drinks I am part of the party and don't know a stranger). I need to find a way to only have 1 or 2, but by the sec.ond I think I need to continue Drinking. It has taken a toll on my health because I lack any motivation! I also suffer from Fybro an depession. I think the are all connected.
  • OnWisconsin84
    Options
    tiff: Love the WI comment :) I went to college in WI, and yes I drank the most of my life in those years. Lots of good beer and cheese "up dere." :)

haha, gotta stay warm somehow, right?! :)
  • felice03
    Options
    very proud of myself...had a Christmas party last night with my close group of friends, and guess who only had two drinks? This girl! I was totally expecting to go crazy because, well, thats what we do. but Nope, not me!
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    That is awesome!

I am going out to happy hr tonight and I am going to try to be good....I will keep you posted! lol
  • KerstZab
    KerstZab Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We do a large family Christmas Eve Party... my family makes me crazy! I can say my goals will not be met. UG
  • LighteningLynn
    LighteningLynn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi.....newbie here....of course not new to drinking. :ohwell:
    I am not an alcoholic....I just enjoy drinking. Probably doesn't have anything to do that I live in Wisconsin.....drinking state! :blushing:

I have been drinking since I was a teenager. :cry: Sometimes I remember things....other times....well....ya all know where I am coming from!!!!!

I generally don't eat very many bad things (except during holidays LOL :laugh: ) I get just about all my bad calories from drinking. When I log my food intake when I don't drink it looks pretty good. Then when I do drink, I don't want to log them because I know how bad it will look....I know it. :sick:

So I can relate to all of you. It is very nice to meet you and know that I am not the only one out there struggling with this. :flowerforyou:

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas......we are going to do better after the New Year.......RIGHT?????? :happy:
  • DoxieMama70
    DoxieMama70 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi all, so glad to have found this group! I definitely need a non-judgemental forum to be able to talk about this and have people to relate to.

I am an emotional eater and drinker. If I'm stressed (which I have been a lot over the last year or so due to work) I reach for the wine. Some nights it's a glass or two, others it's a bottle or two. It is certainly preventing me from losing weight, but more than that, I know it's not good for me.

I know I have an addictive personality, the "a little bit is good, so a lot must be way better!" mentality. Anyway, I appreciate you all! I am fairly new here, so if anyone would like to be friends, I would love to talk more.
  • felice03
    Options
    Had a bad night last night. I was so happy with myself earlier in the week but that went out the window last night. What was suuposed to be meeting friends for a couple drinks turned into closing down the bar. I really just need to find a balance of not over doing it or not doing it at all.