Ready to adopt the "Clean Eating" lifestyle

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
Greetings -

So I am finally ready to travel on the path of clean eating .... and would like some suggestions on a few things -

* What is the best way to get started? - Go "cold turkey" and immerse myself or gradually work into it?
* Are there any good books, guides and/or articles on Clean Eating - Especially for men?
* Has anyone noticed a significant change ($) in their grocery costs?

** Feel free to give me as many suggestions, comments, ideas - All are welcomed !!!!

Thank you.

MDL

Replies

• nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think Food Rules by Michael Pollan is a great, intuitive start to clean eating. It's usually less than 10 bucks and has simple advice, like "if it comes through the window it's not food." (edit: it's also pretty short :D)

Transitioning from a SAD (standard american diet) to clean eating is a LIFESTYLE change. And Dr. Fuhrman says it takes anywhere from 3-6 months to really start enjoying and catching the variety of flavors offered in fruits and veggies without all that added sugars and salt added. But the weight loss should happen pretty rapidly!
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Dear nikirtehsuxlo -

Thanks for the info . . . I really appreciate it !!!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Food rules suggest ion - I have read Omnivore's Dilemma

I bought the book Eat Clean by Tosca Reno. It probably would work for men as well as women. Tosca Reno who wrote it is married to Robert Kennedy (not political Kennedys!) and he publishes a lot of magazines including Oxygen. I can't remember which one but there is one for men. It might include some clean eating menus/meals.

Also there is a Eat Clean magazine with a lot of recipes and it is not necessarily geared to women.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Hey MDLNH I'm pretty new to clean eating too, I currently am working on getting the "dirty" stuff out of my house (I can't just throw it away) but i'm hoping the New Year will help usher in some good habits. One things I realized is eating "clean" meat (read: grass fed/free range preferably organic) means spending a lot more on my meat and therefore eating less of it (I'm becoming more and more OK with that)

For me, because of the price difference as much as I wanted to eat clean it just didn't seem feasible. If you need the little extra push to spend the extra money (especially on mean/dairy products) watch Food inc. It will change how you look at food entirely!

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about anything you learn. I'll be picking up Food Rules myself as well as "In Defense of Food" which is also by Michael Pollon
  • stormy213
    stormy213 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am also in the process of cleaning out the pantry. My goal is to get started this coming Monday. We have so much junk in the house because of Christmas right now. I've already warned my DH and DS's that a change is coming.

I've gotten all of Tosca's books from the library and made copies of the recipes that appeal to me. I own her first book and am familiar with the cooler plan....I like how she gives samples menus to play with for the first few week.

I've been reading through the posts in this group and have gotten a lot of good info here as well.
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Food rules suggest ion - I have read Omnivore's Dilemma

I bought the book Eat Clean by Tosca Reno. It probably would work for men as well as women. Tosca Reno who wrote it is married to Robert Kennedy (not political Kennedys!) and he publishes a lot of magazines including Oxygen. I can't remember which one but there is one for men. It might include some clean eating menus/meals.

Also there is a Eat Clean magazine with a lot of recipes and it is not necessarily geared to women.

She also has a Clean Eating for Men book. It's on my purchase list for the new year....I've lost 42 lbs eating clean and my hubby has lost 26 by eating the same way that I have been eating. (without even trying!!!)
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I began my clean eating journey when I purchased a book my masseuse kept talking to me about when we would discuss nutrition by Jillian Michaels called MASTER YOUR METABOLISM. It was quite an eye opener, written for the layperson from an endocrinology stand point. Turns out that specific foods and chemicals IN our foods inhibit or stimulate hormone levels that keep us fat or slim. Her mantra is, "Eat real food. If it didn't grow from the ground and it doesn't have a mother, don't eat it." (Have you ever seen an Oreo or Cheeto tree?)

The first 4 chapters are the basics of endocrine disruption before you get down to the actual what to avoid vs what to eat. Basically you eliminate everything from your diet that has preservatives or artificial anything in it. She did a great job of explaining WHY each food is good for you or not and how many servings you should eat a day. This book has tons of information, including chemical code words on labels to be on the lookout for, that I will go back to again and again. The back has sample menus, recipes and even a list of brands and resources for healthy real foods. Best part is its all DO-able.

Now we eat whole grains, and organic produce, dairy eggs, and meat. I've gotten used to using evoo instead of butter on all my veggies. Seems like I use loads of beans, onions and garlic too... Been trying to really read labels and shy away from things with flavor enhancers and other chemicals. Labels can sure be deceiving! Did you know according to the FDA for a product to be labeled whole grain it only has to be at least 51% whole grain? Shouldn't that be half-grain! tongue

So I've been doing lots of experimenting with things I've never eaten before like Greek yogurt, agave nectar and quinoa and finding I like them! Now I'm in the process of preparing a place to grow my own vegetables this year. It will make eating organics so much easier and tastier!

As John Maxwell says,“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I began my clean eating journey when I purchased a book my masseuse kept talking to me about when we would discuss nutrition by Jillian Michaels called MASTER YOUR METABOLISM. It was quite an eye opener, written for the layperson from an endocrinology stand point. Turns out that specific foods and chemicals IN our foods inhibit or stimulate hormone levels that keep us fat or slim. Her mantra is, "Eat real food. If it didn't grow from the ground and it doesn't have a mother, don't eat it." (Have you ever seen an Oreo or Cheeto tree?)

The first 4 chapters are the basics of endocrine disruption before you get down to the actual what to avoid vs what to eat. Basically you eliminate everything from your diet that has preservatives or artificial anything in it. She did a great job of explaining WHY each food is good for you or not and how many servings you should eat a day. This book has tons of information, including chemical code words on labels to be on the lookout for, that I will go back to again and again. The back has sample menus, recipes and even a list of brands and resources for healthy real foods. Best part is its all DO-able.
    Thank you for the great advise! I think I will be getting this book!
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I really recommend reading Jillians book also..... really opened my eyes to what we are doing to our bodies with all of the processed foods.

Thank you for the great advise! I think I will be getting this book!
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    My fav magazine is Clean eating. You can find it online it has menu plans for 2 weeks at a time, and a lot of quick and easy recipes to feed your family for under $50 kinda thing