Nutritarian Recipes

Options
I love the nutritarian eating plan. But I need recipes! Please post anything that is good. Here is what I am eating for lunch this week and it is goooooood. I got this recipe from VegWeb.com.

Quick Lentil-Kale Soup

1 cup lentils
7 cups water
4 cups (about 1 lb) chopped kale (or spinach, or
Alternatively, the kale could be cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 large onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped.
3 Tbs chopped parsley
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1-2 Tbs soy miso (optional)
pinch of pepper

Directions:

Cook for about 30 to 60 minutes the lentils in a heavy pot (beans tend to stick to the sides of thin pots).

While the lentils are cooking briefly saute the onions in water and add parsley, bay leaf. When onions are soft add the celery. Stir for about 2 minutes then add the carrots. Briefly saute until the carrots are brighter in colour but still a little crunchy. Add the lentils and tomatoes and stir the kale into the lentils. Keep stirring.

When the kale is wilted, add water and the rest of the seasoning. Simmer the soup for about 5 to 10 minutes. Serves about 4 to 6.

Instead of adding tomatoes I added a can of diced tomatoes with chiles and I did not add the miso because I didn't have any and I just put it all in the pot and simmered til it was done. Didn't take long.

Replies

• ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    that sounds super , i will make that for sure> so healthy :smile:

i didnt' know you could saute onions in water.. much better choice then in oil..... that's a great tip for me.....:happy:
  • debrobinson1205
    Options
    Cool, let me know how you like it.
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Cool, let me know how you like it.

i know i will like it.....just by looking at the ingredients... thanks again...
  • PirateGary
    Options
    This probably isn’t a recipe but I’m a big fan of vege-smoothies, or what-ever you want to call them. I have a respectable blender and simply toss stuff in until it’s full. I try to obtain a consistency that’s roughly soup-like. One of the purported advantages of this I believe is that the blender produces a highly digestible mixture, as opposed to chewing, so in theory more nutrients can be more easily absorbed. I make about a gallon and consume it over a couple days.

Water or Pomegranate juice (don’t go crazy).
    Blueberries (frozen if not in season)
    Apple, Pear, or similar
    Romaine lettuce
    Kale
    Handful of cashews, walnuts
    Carrot juice (if I feel like making it)
    DHA (liquid drops)
    Hint of a spice (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, etc.)

It’s pretty simple and basically, I’m really focused on the green vegetables and anti-oxidant berries. The proportions are to your taste. :) You just need enough liquid to get the blending going and thin the mixture to suit. The fruit adds fiber and sweetness. Sometimes I’ll use banana with citrus fruits instead. I just try to go easy on the fructose else the calories add up.

It’s satisfying and offers a lot of fluid, so you don’t have to go crazy drinking water. I will use this to “detox” if I’ve had a meal with too much salt or what-ever and it seems to help me feel back to normal in a few days. Preps kind of time-consuming but clean up’s a breeze.

I endured lots of teasing for years but I see green shakes in the supermarket now. And there’s a ton of recipes out there. I just wanted to expose the idea to folks who haven’t heard of them. It’s also a great way to get veges in kids of you over-emphasize the fruit in the beginning. Here's a fun video to inspire you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3_wK92K9U
  • PirateGary
    Options
    Since the last one was so well received, here's another healthy but off-colored concoction for your consideration. One of the things I try to avoid is any bottled salad dressing, not because of the fat exactly but mostly due to all the other ghastly chemicals and salt that they are loaded up with. Plain balsamic vinegar is a stable in my diet but for variation I throw the following in a blender:

Some ripe avocados (a "good" fat).
    Pomegranate juice (anti-oxidant, adds liquid [and calories - cut it with water])
    Raspberry vinegar
    Lemon (to combine with the vinegar and burn through your stomach. actually i do it as preservative for the avocados)

Blend and adjust to taste. Makes a creamy and satisfying dressing if you like raspberry vinaigrette, despite its odd mauve color. I might toss in a walnut as well but then the fat level is getting up there.
  • karenarl
    Options
    A typical day for me is- Breakfast: cut up fruit and maybe some oatmeal (my grains for the day), Lunch: a big salad with lots of vegetables and maybe grilled tofu on top with some home made dressing. Dinner: some version of lunch, maybe with cooked vegetables. Tonight I am having spaghetti squash with organic marinara sauce. I am trying to avoid snacking and getting in enough greens and water which when I do, really helps.
  • PirateGary
    Options
    That sounds great!
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Brownies

½ cup dark cocoa powder

2 t. vanilla

1 t. baking soda

1 (15 oz.) can of salt-free black beans (drain liquid)

1 large handful of sunflower seeds or 1 T. ground flaxseed

1 ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce

2 cups pitted dates (chopped)

¾ cup whole wheat flour

1 cup walnuts

Put the first six ingredients in a food processor. Turn it on and then gradually add the 2 cups of chopped dates, a few at a time until blended. Add the flour and continue to mix until everything is well blended. Turn off the machine, remove the blade, and stir in the nuts. Spread into a 13” x 9” pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

via: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/recipes-black-bean-brownies-for-valentines.html
  • Ceithlenn
    Ceithlenn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I make this and keep it in the fridge. It is awesome on any cooked veggie, especially kale, which has become a a special favorite. This recipe came from Spark People.

Chef Meg's Favorite Ginger-Garlic Sauce

2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    1 Tbs tahini
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbs fresh ginger, chopped
    1 lemon, zested and juiced
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 tsp toasted sesame oil
    1/4 cup olive oil

Put all ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Store in a jar in the fridge. Heat a couple of tablespoons as needed for tasty steamed vegetables or baked tofu.

Servings: 12

Nutrition Facts
    Serving size: 1/12 of a recipe (0.5 ounces).
    Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
    Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 57.11
    Calories From Fat (80%) 45.9
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 5.93g 9%
    Saturated Fat 0.82g 4%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 90.91mg 4%
    Potassium 49.81mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrates 2.85g <1%
    Fiber 0.16g <1%
    Sugar 0.06g
    Protein 0.39g <1%
  • Ceithlenn
    Ceithlenn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Here is a great breakfast recipe. You can fix it in a cup and eat it on the go. Comes from Dr Fuhrman's book.

Quick Banana Berry Breakfast To Go

1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
    1/2 bananas, sliced
    1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    1/3 cup pomegranate juice
    1 Tbsp chopped walnuts
    .5 Tbs raw sunflower seeds
    1 Tbs dried currants

1. Combine all ingredients in a small microwave-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving size: 1 serving (9.1 ounces).
    Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
    Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 331.16
    Calories From Fat (26%) 87.32
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 10.44g 16%
    Saturated Fat 1.21g 6%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 39.93mg 2%
    Potassium 691.56mg 20%
    Total Carbohydrates 57.99g 19%
    Fiber 7.15g 29%
    Sugar 31.58g
    Protein 6.85g 14%
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just got a Vitamix and here's a fun smoothie!

Tropic Tango Smoothie (its in the VItamix recipe book)
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 lime, peeled
    1 banana, peeled
    1 cup fresh spinach, washed
    2 apples, quartered, seeded
    1 cup ice cubes

BLEND AND ENJOY
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight but with Cashews instead of almonds. Also I added extra water to the sauce

Average Rating:
    Rated By: 10 members
    Your Rating:

Crispy Kale Casserole
    www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 6
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
    2 medium onions, diced
    1/2 head cabbage, chopped
    1 bunch kale, tough stems and center ribs removed and leaves chopped
    2 carrots, diced
    2 teaspoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos
    7 ounces silken tofu
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon paprika
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup raw almonds
    Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Place 1/4 cup water, the onions, and Liquid Aminos in large pot. Simmer until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add cabbage, kale and carrots, cover and simmer about 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, adding more water as necessary.
    Place in a baking dish.
    In food processor, combine tofu, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, paprika, garlic and almonds. Pour over vegetables.
    Bake for about 15 minutes or until topping is crispy.
  • LadyCNE
    LadyCNE Posts: 13
    Options
    These look so good! I put mine on Pinterest. http://pinterest.com/ladycne/nutritarian/

I especially love the stacked veggie enchilada one? I do not use the oil, cheese and I use cashew sour cream. Yumm.

Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
    ingredients:
    1 poblano chile, cut into matchsticks
    2 red bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
    1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
    1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1 medium onion, halved and slivered
    1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
    3 T heat-safe oil like grapeseed or coconut
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    salt and black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 cups homemade or store bought salsa/pico de gallo
    2 ounces baby spinach leaves (about 2 big handfuls)
    9-10 corn tortillas, halved (try making homemade tortillas!)
    2 cups shredded cheese (I used a cheddar-Monterey Jack blend)
    sour cream and thinly sliced scallions (green onions) for garnish, if desired

directions:
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a large shallow roasting pan or rimmed cookie sheet.

Place poblanos, red bell peppers, cauliflower, sweet potato, onion, and corn kernels onto cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle the cumin and minced garlic over top. Add a generous pinch or two of salt and black pepper, then use your hands to mix everything together. After everything is coated well, spread the vegetables evenly in the pan. Roast for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are tender and begin to brown in spots. Stir or shake the pan every 10 minutes for even roasting. Remove pan from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

Prepare an 8x8x2 or 9x9x2-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, stir the cilantro into the salsa. Spread 1/4 cup of salsa into the bottom of the baking pan. Add a layer of tortilla pieces, to completely cover the salsa. Top with 1/3 of the vegetables, a handful of spinach, and 1/3 of the cheese. Make a second layer of tortilla, salsa, vegetables, spinach, and cheese. Top with with a layer of tortillas, salsa, vegetables, and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and everything is heated through.

Let it sit for 5 minutes and cut into squares. Serve with sour cream and a sprinkle of sliced scallions.

Serves 4-5

adapted from The Roasted Vegetable by Andrea Chesman
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Sushi resturant salad, but more nutritious!

Ginger Carrot Dressing: (about 4 servings)

In your turbo blender combine the following and blend until smooth:
    1 carrot
    Juice of half an orange
    2 quarter sized slices of ginger
    I clove garlic
    1" wedge of onion (about 2 Tbsp)
    Dash lemon juice
    1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup water

Salad:
    Shredded cabbage, at least a cup. I think some shredded kale would be good mixed in too.
    Cucumber sliced in sticks
    Sliced radishes
    (Any other veggies you want to throw in: sliced mushrooms, snow peas, etc.)
    Avocado chunks on top
    Green onion sliced
    Sesame seeds to garnish

Drizzle a few drops of sesame oil over the top before serving for fragrance.