GF Xmas Cookies...

Options
coronalime
coronalime Posts: 583 Member
Yep I am going there...Lets talk cookies. Gluten free cookies..and hopefully low cal, low fat ideas to these GF cookies. Anyone?
and hopefully some that use mixes :)

So far I am going to make the peanut butter cookies (literally just 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup splenda (instead of sugar) 1 egg and a tad of baking powder) form into balls and after baked use a red MM for a nose, 2 green MM for eyes and GF pretzel sticks for antlers to make reindeer cookies.

Replies

• dewybuttercup
    Options
    Peanut butter cookies are typically my go-to, but I just made some bars that are so good and even those who are not gluten free love them!

- 1 box of GF cake mix
    - 1 can of pumpkin puree

Mix, back according to cake box instructions.

I used cream cheese frosting the first time I made it (yummy!) but this time I want to make my own whipped topping out of coconut milk and add some cinnamon and nutmeg to it. Hopefully it is as easy to make as the recipe makes says!

These bars are healthier than cake since there is no butter, eggs, etc. but I am fairly certain the frosting takes care of any healthy aspects to it- but it is really easy to make on short notice!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I <3 this thread! I am a cookie fiend.

I have this GF cookie mix (by Pine Riso I do believe) that makes some tolerable sugar cookies but honestly I'm not hugely fond of them (which is probably good since I don't overeat them!).

Recently I tried GF shortbread cookies (made with corn flour, GF-dairy free margarine and sugar) and they are AMAZING.

Does anybody have a recipe for GF ginger cookies? I'm craving those babies like woah.

Also, I could provide the GF shortbread cookie recipe if somebody would like it. :)
  • dewybuttercup
    Options
    have you tried using the Bisquick Gluten Free flour in place of regular flour in a regular ginger cookie recipe? I love the gluten free Bisquick and use it all the time for pancakes and waffles- my hubby who has no gluten problems can't tell the difference so perhaps it would work as a substitute?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I don't use mixes, I hate the taste/texture.

I LOVE Elizabeth Barbone's book Easy Gluten Free Baking. She GF'd a bunch of the classic christimas cookies. It also has awesome bread, cracker, and cake recipes.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I didn't know Bisquick made a gluten free flour!!! I'll have to see if I can find it.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Go to Betty Crocker site...Lots of gluten free recipes for the holidays....
  • dewybuttercup
    Options
    I have no doubt that from scratch is better :) And there are TONS of nasty mixes, but if you wanted to use a mix I still think Bisquick is awesome- I have made several things using it for office parties and I have never had leftovers! lol

Thanks for the tip- when I actually have time and access to the flours that most gluten free cookbooks call for I will be sure to check it out!
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I found Jules gluten free flour/cookie/bread etc mixes and ordered them.. The cookie mix is as good as regular ones. My kids have never noticed a difference. http://www.julesglutenfree.com/

I use her flour exclusively in my house, I find it measures 1 for 1 in my cooking. I've used some old family recipes (peanut butter cookies and molasses cookies) that were amazing. I'm not a fan of soy, or most mixes they taste .... well, off to me.

I too love Elizabeth Barbone's cookbook, I met her at the food and wine festival at Disney last year. She is amazing.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to GF gingerbread men. There are some other cookie recipes on this site too.

http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/12/grain-free-gingerbread-men.html
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter cookies are typically my go-to, but I just made some bars that are so good and even those who are not gluten free love them!

- 1 box of GF cake mix
    - 1 can of pumpkin puree

Mix, back according to cake box instructions.

I have done the pumpkin puree with regular cake mix for my family, but would like to make it GF so my husband can enjoy. 2 questions: what size of boxed cake mix, and what size of canned pumpkin?

Oh, and also, have you tried different flavours of cake mix?

Thanks!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also highly recommend the website glutenfreebetty.com. She has lots of awesome treat recipes, (not too many healthy ones, sorry) and anything I have made from her recipes has turned out incredible.
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    In fact.. I just made some GF cookies last night!
    These are not low cal/low fat. I don't see the point... they are COOKIES afterall, and I don't eat a lot of them, nor am I trying to-- and I only make them once a year!

Gluten Free Russian Tea Cakes
    1 cup butter, room temp
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup almond meal
    1 1/4 cup Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar
    1 egg
    + more confectioners sugar to coat

Mix all the listed ingredients together and let cool in fridge at least 45 minutes-- the harder the better for ANY butter cookie.
    Preheat 400 degrees.
    Roll into ball shapes-- about 1 inch. Can be placed fairly close together on the sheet since they have minimal spreading.
    Bake for 7-8 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your cookies.
    Let cool until just barely warm, then roll in confectioners sugar.

GF Chocolate Chip Cookies
    2 1/4 cups Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 cup butter, room temperature
    1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding (small box)
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    2 cups. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat 350 degrees.
    Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Place in fridge for 30 minutes. Drop cookies onto sheet, about 1.5 inches apart. Bake approx. 8 minutes.

I have a gas stove, and I think mine may run a little higher. I suggest watching these cookies because they have a tendency to get crispy REAL fast! Enjoy!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    GF chocolate cookies

1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. Baking soda
    1 large egg
    1tsp. Vanilla

1/3 cup cocoa powder
    1/2 cup millet flour
    1/4 cup brown rice flour
    1/4 cup tapioca starch
    1 tsp. Guar gum

Mix first 7 ingredients. Mix last 5 ingredients thoroughly and then add to the first mixture. Form into 1 inch balls, place on greased or parchment papered baking sheet, leaving room for spreading (they become approx. 2.5 inches). Press down with two fingers. Bake at 325*F for 15 minutes. Let cool for five minutes on baking sheet before transferring them to cooling rack. Mine got crispy, but once i had frosting on them, they turned nice and soft again. I used a seven minute frosting, also gluten free, and added two drops of peppermint essential oil. If you can get gluten free candy canes, crush them up and dip frosyed side of cookies in, for extra festive yumminess.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My 17 year old is rolling out GF sugar cookies as I type. We'll be decorating them later today. I also made some GF shortbread (dangerously good! I can't stop eating them!) I also made some Mounds Cookie Bars (they were supposed to be Almond Joy but I forgot the almonds!) It wasn't a GF recipe but I replaced the shortbread recipe with my GF one and just made sure the rest of the ingredients were GF. Haven't tasted them yet but they look really good! It's just a layer of GF shortbread pressed into an 8x8 pan and baked until golden. After it cools you spread a mixture of 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, 1 tsp vanilla and 14 ounces shredded coconut over it. Then melt some good chocolate (I used a very dark chocolate but you could use milk chocolate if you prefer) and spread it over the top of the coconut. Put it in the fridge to set up and cut into bars.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Go to the betty crocker web site....They have a lot of gluten free recipes. I also make gluten free buckeye balls, rum balls, a really delicious cinnabun gluten free cake....etc...Let me know if you want recipes....
  • frostysmama
    frostysmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm going on month #3 of G-Free and have thought it was the best thing to happen to me...until this week when all the cookies appearing! :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    When we went gf, it was right after Halloween, so I spent the next six weeks baking all kinds of breads to see what we liked, cookies and sweet treats for Christmas parties, etc. I put on about 10 lbs!

Pam
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for GF cookie cutter cookies???
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    What kind of cookie cutter cookies? Sugar cookies? I have made Tom's:

http://allergyeater.blogspot.com/

I made two changes to improve them. Cut the baking powder in half, because they puffed up too much, and added a tablespoon or so of coconut oil to improve the texture. They are rather cakey without any solid fats.

Pam