Low Carb headaches

Options
Ugh...I started restricting my carbs and sugars, and I have an annoying headache. I know this is a side effect and will go away soon, but I feel weird...
Also, is there a way where a way I can track my sugar alcohols?

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    If you're getting a headache maybe you're not getting enough calories?

Sugar alcohols are USUALLY listed as part of nutritional values. They don't count on carb counts per se, but I know know that I can't eat them with impunity. As a matter of fact, I generally avoid them as part of my carb counting because they seem to interfere with that ketosis thing for me, and slow my weight loss!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I'm getting in about 1400 calories. I've done low carbing before and I've felt this way before, it's just been many years ago.

I don't overload on the sugar alcohols, I like my SF pudding, my tummy doesn't like too much alcohols. I've been subtracting them from my overall carb count, but it's kinda annoying...
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Took me about a week before the headaches went away. Good luck!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Sugar alcohols are USUALLY listed as part of nutritional values. They don't count on carb counts per se, but I know know that I can't eat them with impunity. As a matter of fact, I generally avoid them as part of my carb counting because they seem to interfere with that ketosis thing for me, and slow my weight loss!

...or you smacked your head like a V8 commercial?
    ...or you smacked your head against the wall next to your bed when you were trying to lay down for the night? (I do this ALLLLLL the time! LOL!)

On a serious note... it could be a combination: carb withdrawals, dehyration, mineral depletion, etc.... make sure you are drinking your water daily, get a well balanced meal in every meal/every day, get plenty of rest.... If you find that things still are just as bad with the migraines/headaches, I would consult your physician just to make sure there are no other underlying concerns...

hugs 8-)
  • angelapolite
    Options

...or you smacked your head like a V8 commercial?
    ...or you smacked your head against the wall next to your bed when you were trying to lay down for the night? (I do this ALLLLLL the time! LOL!)

On a serious note... it could be a combination: carb withdrawals, dehyration, mineral depletion, etc.... make sure you are drinking your water daily, get a well balanced meal in every meal/every day, get plenty of rest.... If you find that things still are just as bad with the migraines/headaches, I would consult your physician just to make sure there are no other underlying concerns...

hugs 8-)

HAHA, funny!

I have been drinking more water, because I've read that the headaches could be due to dehydration. I feel I'm eating enough, I went over my calories some, but weighed myself this morning and down 3 pounds! YAY (tomorrow if the official weigh-in day):happy:
  • MamaGLUe
    MamaGLUe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How low carb are you going? Atkins recommends salty broth during induction because you don't retain as much sodium when insulins low. This can lower blood pressure a bit too much.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    How low carb are you going? Atkins recommends salty broth during induction because you don't retain as much sodium when insulins low. This can lower blood pressure a bit too much.

I'm keeping my carbs at about 35 grams a day.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Magnesium would help.
  • Julianna_gets_fit
    Options
    could be sugar withdrawl also, depending on how much sugar you've eaten recently. I get a nasty headache when I start low-carbing but seem to be okay as I'm on day 3 now and am happily plugging along.
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options

oh wow- thanks for the info! i don't get headaches (i dunno why, just have never had one in my life) but i do already have low BP so i'll have to watch that as i lower my carbs. very good knowledge to have!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options

oh wow- thanks for the info! i don't get headaches (i dunno why, just have never had one in my life) but i do already have low BP so i'll have to watch that as i lower my carbs. very good knowledge to have!

Oh yeah - my dietician encouraged me to dissolve some salt in water and drink it! I thought that was weird - like the broth idea.