BMI & body image (one bloke's solution)

Options
There are a couple posts on here about how bad BMI is for giving a realistic body image target for tall people. As a solid guy at 6'7" i was given a weight range of 95-100kg, WHICH IS RUBBISH. I tell you, anyone tall than average (man or woman) should totally disregard that inaccurate, deceptive and downright dangerous system.

Anyway. since I started on MFP in November I've been trying to find a body exemplar to aim for. I'm rapt that today I've found it (or them). Brothers Vitali and Wladimir Klitscho, are champion heavyweight boxers and come in at 6'7 and 6'6" respectively and both around the 250 lbs (113 kg) mark.

Vitali. http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/vitali-klitschko-2010-10-15-10-1-23.jpg
Wladimir. http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/1071/Wladimir-Klitschko-Brock7.jpg

I'm only 3 kilos away from that mark now but still at around 25% body fat where as the Klitscho brothers are more like 12%. Plenty of work ahead, but at least now it's with a goal.

Do you have a body exemplar that matches your height and physique?

Replies

• samatalma
    Options
    No, I don't. But I really wish I did!
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My doctor measured my wrist and gave me a weight range based on that, it is basically body skeletal frame size, he said the BMI is not reliable. But you do have to take bone structure into consideration I guess, while I am 5"11, I have a very tiny frame where other women can be 5"11 and be built naturally bigger (not fatter, structually bigger) we would there for not have the same BMI according to him.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i completely agree with this - i've been struggling to find an "ideal weight" range, BMI included, that caters to taller people. i had a nutritional sciences professor that told me she didn't believe in "big boned" people - until i turned in a project with my energy requirements based on a 210lb female. i had to go talk to her because she thought i did it wrong and there was no way i weighed that much - NO! i literally thought i'd have to step on a scale in front of her.
  • ChristophHewett
    ChristophHewett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We're of the same mind @laurahutch21. I totally believe the scenario you mention. I remember when I worked bar at college , customers wouldn't believe my height/weight if I was behind the bar (about 3-5m away). When I stood next to them they would freak, as if it was an optical illusion - it was my party trick, simple but effective.

IMO it not just sketeton but organs and muscle (naturally muscle, not the bulgy kind) are also a factor. Fit, active people will have more natural mass, and also more energy requirements than others. @onefitdiva, I'm interested in the the measurement process you mention. Once I reach 250lbs I'm going to engage a trainer to set-up a boxing based crossfit programme. I'll talk to them about it.

@samatalma. If it helps, this is what I did. I googled my height and weight (eg 6'7" 250 lbs) and scoured the results (including images). When I tries with my wife's measurements it returned a bunch of puny blokes (fail). Maybe try with "female" in the search, or maybe www.mybodgallery.com can help.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I don't have a body exemplar, but I did go to the doctor last week and he told me lose 40 more lbs. I plan to lose 50. If I went by the books, I would still be overweight with an unhealthy BMI.

However, on me, 40 more lbs, is thin. I am 5'11 with a big bone structure. My bones are big. My wrists do not fit standard bracelets.

So 50 more lbs it is!
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Same as the post above have your bones measured to determine your frame size and depending on that you can get a healthy weight range for example, someone who is small framed (me) 5'9 would look overweight at 150lbs whereas someone who is large framed might look very thin, google frame size calculator (you need a tape measure) there are many different sites and this can give you a more accurate goal, hope this helps.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I have done a number of searches and am told that in order for me to achieve my ideal weight, I need to lose another 10 lbs.

I am 6'1" and weigh 174 lbs right now... I run and box, and really I don't think I could attain another 10lb loss unless I starved myself.

I am of the opinion that we toss out the BMI calc altogether and go with what we feel most comfy with!

IMG02123-20120222-1807.jpg
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have done a number of searches and am told that in order for me to achieve my ideal weight, I need to lose another 10 lbs.

I am 6'1" and weigh 174 lbs right now... I run and box, and really I don't think I could attain another 10lb loss unless I starved myself.

I am of the opinion that we toss out the BMI calc altogether and go with what we feel most comfy with!

You look fantastic, and I can tell by your tone in your post that you feel terrific too, which I think is the most important thing :)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    For myself at 5'8.5 with a large bone structure my current goal is between 165-160. That would put me on the heavy end of normal weight. However I know I will look thin at that weight. People currently underestimate my weight by anywhere between 20-40 pounds lol.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    thanks!! :-D I'm getting there for sure!

The whole "i'm getting divorced and look what you're missing out on bucko" incentive plan has really helped! haha
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha I'm sad for the circumstances but I'm thrilled that your incentive plan is working. Seriously, good job! And he's a dope for giving that up :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    l268268778.jpg

its just luck that she's got my hair too so I can really chase her.