do you see yourself as always bigger/manlier than other wome

Options
i certainly do - and i think that is because of the height, and not feeling "feminine" or "petite" enough, especially growing up where all the boys seemed to want the girls who were short, petite, cute etc. now im finally coming into my own, but sometimes that thought is still there that leads me into a binge (like today)

Replies

• cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    When I was in college my roomates used to take me shopping to buy clothes for their boyfriends because if the clothes fit me they knew they would fit their boyfriends.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you on this. I definitely feel more manly =P Especially when I'm at least a head above my friend's.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Bigger, definitely yes. But the accompanying adjective is not manly. It's smarter, more confident, more competent, leader, etc. All those positive qualities men get assigned without having to do anything about it. I LOVE my tallness accompanied by smartness and confidence!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I went to a dinner last night for a friend's birthday and, looking at the pictures, I was honestly shocked. It was the first time in my life that I was one of the smallest ones there - I'm still very tall, but I clearly did not look big.
    First time I've ever seen myself that way. It was awesome.
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I feel like this every day!
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bigger, definitely yes. But the accompanying adjective is not manly. It's smarter, more confident, more competent, leader, etc. All those positive qualities men get assigned without having to do anything about it. I LOVE my tallness accompanied by smartness and confidence!

I agree with this completely. I don't feel manly at all. I may be taller than other women, but I love that feeling. I have a very womanly shape, and feel like I am proportionate from top to bottom. If I were more boxy, I might feel manly. But I relish the fact that men will check me out before they will check out my short friends. Men are drawn to tall women :o)
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have a very feminine physique. I don't feel manish, even when buying/wearing men's clothes/shoes. I feel taller than some men, like my hubby, but not manly. He and I have the same sized hand and feet. His legs are just a hair shorter than mine and my torso is a hair shorter than his. I wear his shirts all the time! ;-P
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can feel a bit out of place about my height, especially when in the company of other women. Most of the time I don't notice it and it doesn't bother me, but sometimes I am acutely aware of being the 'gargantuan'. I wonder if this will change as my width reduces?

My lovely boyfriend makes the effort every now and again to twirl me around, because, for me, being twirled on the dancefloor is the epitome of petiteness and being girly. Silly? Maybe :)
  • pristinebutterfly
    Options
    Oh absolutely!!! I always seem to tower over people and there's something about always looking down (literally) at other women -- or maybe the fact that they look up at me -- that makes me feel like a big ugly giant. It's so frustrating going out with the girls and ALWAYS being the tallest one in the group. And when my body isn't at its thinnest, it just adds to my insecurity. I realize that it's likely in my head (at least I hope it is!), but it's hard. You're not alone...trust me. There's something about being heavier that makes me feel frumpy which in turn amplifies my height insecurity. I find that when I'm slender and my clothes fit nicely, I feel petite, sexy and beautiful, despite my height. Thanks for this post...thinking about this actually helped to boost my motivation to remain consistent with eating healthfully and working out...:)
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've always seen myself as very feminine, both in personality/demeanor and aesthetically, but when it comes to men.. I, more now than ever, feel like they don't see me as feminine "enough" because of my height. It's weird, I got way, way more attention when I was heavy. I thought once I got thin guys would approach me, life would be grand, but now I feel more lonely and insecure than ever before. I feel like they automatically write me off because of my height and my larger build. It sucks because I get angry at myself for feeling this way, because I am so proud of my height and am so against society's ****ed up notion that women should be smaller than/"protected" by their male partner. But I do think it hurts the most because I know that this is widely accepted as truth by many, especially, being where I'm from, where the population is heavily dominantly Asian. I always see men with women shorter (often much shorter) than them, regardless of ethnicity or build. Apparently, it's ok to be overweight and short, but being tall and lithe now renders me some kind of circus freak. Whatever :(
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My lovely boyfriend makes the effort every now and again to twirl me around, because, for me, being twirled on the dancefloor is the epitome of petiteness and being girly. Silly? Maybe :)

So true!!!

I've always been attracted to very thin men (counterbalance?). In all my years of dating- there was only one guy who could pick me up, swing me around... in general treat me like a petite little lady. I LOVED that. I don't miss him- but I do miss that feeling!

I don't feel manly- but I don't feel "girly" either...
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I defintely feel bigger than other women. My husband's side of the family is short and petite, I always feel like the jolly green giant next to them. Even when I'm thin, in pictures, I still look SO MUCH larger next to them. As for feeling manly? I spent many years ONLY being able to find clothes in the men's section (jeans, coats, etc). I hate to wear dresses, and I'm not a pink type girly-girl. I HAVE been called "sir" from people who happen to be standing behind me when my hair is short. I am very independent, strong willed, and my husband cries more often than I do. I have awesome skills that others consider manly - I'm very handy with a screwdriver or drill and I am good at building stuff from wood. Does that make me feel more manly? No, it just makes me feel like I don't need to rely on others, that I can do whatever I want when I want because I am strong, independent, and confident in my skills. :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't feel feminine at all and I hate it. I have small breasts, big hands, big feet, and broad shoulders. I'm especially self conscious in the town I live in because there aren't very many tall women. Sigh.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I always feel like a lump, esp if I wear heels. Worse when I am very overweight, I want to be slimmer & toned so that it at least takes something away from my large frame & height. don't get me wrong, love being tall but having big boobs & excess weight, is just too much.
  • MamaLutt
    MamaLutt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I absolutely feel this way! I'm very uncomfortable with my height. People are always telling me to own it, but it's easy for someone who's 5'5" to tell me that! I feel very manly most of the time. :(
  • bt_13_21
    bt_13_21 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't really feel manly. Maybe it's b/c I am kinda girly. I like makeup and hair. I like pink. (although I rarely wear skirts or dresses. Hmmm). I have never minded being tall too much, so I don't associate it with much negativity.

I am aware that I am tall, but sometimes I'm surprised how much bigger I am when I see a photo of myself with others. Depending on the person, sometimes I feel like a different species, almost. It's like everything is proportionally bigger. Head, arms, bust... KWIM? It's like I don't really "get it" until I see a photo.

I've had a few close girlfriends at different times of my life who were very petite and brunette. Never gave much thought to it at the time, but when we went out we must have looked like a funny pair. :)
  • Cressida04
    Cressida04 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am aware that I am tall, but sometimes I'm surprised how much bigger I am when I see a photo of myself with others. Depending on the person, sometimes I feel like a different species, almost. It's like everything is proportionally bigger. Head, arms, bust... KWIM? It's like I don't really "get it" until I see a photo.

I've had a few close girlfriends at different times of my life who were very petite and brunette. Never gave much thought to it at the time, but when we went out we must have looked like a funny pair. :)

I have always done the same thing... Sometimes I forget how tall I am because my whole family is very tall until I see myself in pictures with friends.
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My height bothered me when I was a teen. I am 6 feet tall. However that no longer bothers me. Now I just hate being bigger than everyone. Especially in pictures.
  • InnerPinup79
    Options
    Absolutely bigger! I'm always squatting down in pics so my boobs don't rest on some of my friends heads. Manlier? Never. Not even if I wanted to. I'm very busty and can't hide them if I tried.
  • jagpie42
    jagpie42 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I seem to be on the short side of the tall issue--5'9". Most of the time I don't even notice my height, except in large groups of people. I am then amazed that so many people (men and women) are shorter than me. I wear heels, like skirts and have a woman's upper body, but a man's hips and rear. I have been told twice that I would be a great weightlifter if I were a man since I seem to have the built in 'V" physique with broad shoulders and all. I married a 6'5" man and now have three beautiful children. A girl who is 5'11", a son who is 6'2" and another son who is 6'5" (and still growing slowly). I feel like I have to be a role-model for my daughter in particular, but I really do wonder what it would be like to be 5'2"; oh wait, I think I do remember. I was in 5th grade and taller than everyone else in the 5th grade. I have the pictures to prove it :)