Hello! looking for some Kiwi/Yanks!

Options
Hi all :)
I am SO glad I found this little group on here!
I was wondering if there were any New Zealander's who live in America on here? or is that pushing it a bit...I probably won't find another kiwiyank, but I wanted to try!
I would love to discuss, food wise, how they cope with the food in America! and what they buy and all..
Though actually, I would love to hear how everyone is eating! or should I say what?
Especially during these holidays! give me an overall day of what you would eat?

Hope everyone had a great christmas!

Replies

• kiwigal111
    kiwigal111 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm not a food yank...but I did live in California for a year...so I know what you mean about food in the States. There is so much more variety, bigger servings, more fast food places, a lot more processed food, mmm mouth drawling as I think about it,lol
    I have never eaten out as much as there. I found some cool places though, that had delicious healthy food. At some places I used to share a main meal with a friend and that helped. Where abouts are you? Have you heard of Trader Joes? I used to get undyed cheese and other bits n bobs there

I wish you luck with your quest
  • emmaeliza999
    Options
    Haha, hello! thank you for replying!
    Oh you are certainly on my page then...definitely so much more variety AND processed foods that make me want to eat EVERYTHING! haha though, I hate fast food...I love places like the cheesecake factory and PF changs :) oh lord.
    Oh yes, I hear there are some great healthy places to eat out and buy food! (now that I am doing some research) another thing that America has is a lot more Vegans/Vegatarians I think? perhaps because of the larger population..don't know haha. But they definitely have TONS of variety when it comes to healthy eating..which is nice..
    YET, I am going to be living in upstate New York! where we get snow for 6 months of the year basically! so eating my veges and fruit gets so hard during those months, but luckily enough we have a lot of local produce because of the farmlands! but only for half the year :( ...sadly we do not have a trader joes! I have heard good things about that place....undyed cheese? hahaha.
    Thanks for the tips on sharing meals and all :) I actually am very daft and did not think to ever do that!

Thank you (:
  • kiwigal111
    kiwigal111 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Upstate NY , how awesome. I have seen some photos from around that area and it looks beautiful.

Snow for 6 months......man I hope you have packed your merino's....!!!!!!

I've been to NY and to Niagra Falls.....in the winter time.....holy cow - it was cold in Toronto....
    One thing I did notice was clothing was different there in the winter than here. They seem to have a huge jacket, that keeps you warm, and regular clothes underneath...where else we wear many layers of clothes.

So what are you doing there?
  • leahevans
    Options
    Hi, I'm not quite a Kiwi/Yank but I am a CanKiwi right now! I am living in Whistler, BC, and agree - while there are plenty of healthy options (if I was gluten free/100% organic etc I would have endless options!) it is also hard with the huge amount of fast food and convenience items. So many staple foods I feel are hard to get here.

Also, with it being winter, and surrounded by snow, I am having the same issues with getting fresh produce etc.

Where in Upstate NY are you? I lived in Oswego, NY for 8 months a few years back - and over winter too. Actually when I think back on it, that was when I gained my first huge amount of weight (but I was 20 and living in a university dorm and eating pizza and burgers non stop!).

Good luck, nice to know there are some other Kiwi's scattered around Northern America on here!

Leah :)
  • emmaeliza999
    Options
    Yes! it's very beautiful around the Adirondacks and everything! I am very lucky you be near to hiking places/cross country skiing places etc.....

HA! I know right? I am definitely buying up on the wool here!!

Oh yes! it gets FREEZING in Toronto!
    Well where we live it gets pretty cold...but right now they seem to be having mild weather! just my luck! as soon as I go away! haha.
    Oh definitely, they are PREPARED when their winter comes! of course! they need to be :) it doesn't get too bad in NZ....we get our cold days though!

Well I am planning to attend Uni there and basically live life haha. We were gonna move to NZ but decided not to...I am a NZ citizen and a US citizen! grew up in NZ :) but yeah will be heading back to the US in a few weeks!

Leah!
    Hello there!
    I am glad to hear from you!

Oh yes, I hear ya out with the whole endless options of healthy foods...though they tend to be more expensive, I think I will definitely try and get that stuff over the highly processed foods!!

Yes, I will be heading from this glorious NZ sun and endless amounts of delicious fruits and veges...to the death of winter :( haha, but I just need to make the most of what we have I suppose!

I am going to be living near cooperstown??
    Oh really? that's awesome that you went to Uni there though!
    Haha, I definitely getcha on the whole eating pizza/hamburgers non stop..that stuff is actually tastier in America than in NZ, they know how to make the pizzas!

Ah yes, I agree! I love hearing what other kiwis are up to in the states!

-Emma
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hey I am a New Yorker who has moved to New Zealand so if you ever have any questions or would like to talk I'd be happy to help. :)