Watching that thin girl eating a kid's meal.....

Options
Sandytoes71
Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
I'm at Arby's eating a Farmhouse salad watching a thin woman eating a kid's meal and looking so content doing so. Made me wish I could be content eating such a small meal of fatty food. If I could have been content doing that all of these years, I would be thin and still be able to eat the yummy fatty foods. Portion control has always been my biggest issue. I was so envious of this woman. I was envious because she didn't HAVE to eat a small meal, she obviously CHOSE to do it because that's ALL she truly wanted. I want to be able to CHOOSE to eat the foods I really want to eat, but just alittle of it. I want it to feel normal, and not like I'm making myself order less. It has made me sorta sad thinking about it. But it also encourages me some too. Ya know to think it may be possible for me one day. Gosh, am I making since? Does anyone else look at what other people eat and think stuff like this? And honestly, the salad just didnt do it for me tonight :(. It did keep me from going over my cal allowance, but it feels like it's sitting in my throat.

Replies

• lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I always feel that way! I watch some girl eating a salad and actually enjoying it and it makes me sad, because I don't find a salad satisfying at all. It just makes me want to scarf down a burger! And if I order a kids meal, I would still be starving when I was done! There was once a time when I was a teenager when a kids meal was perfectly satisfying, and I abused that and ordered a bigger meal so I wouldn't look childish ordering a kids meal. XD BUT, we can definitely get back to that I think. We just have to work hard!
  • bjmmcw98
    Options
    These are totally normal thoughts for women in our position. I did a blog on my blogger not to long ago about how food has become an addiction just like drugs, alcohol or tobacco. It is something that we for what ever reason have allowed our selves to look away from. I mean who would think that having a regular meal instead of a kids meal would change your life in the future. The thin girl you see eating smaller meals or a salad has either been taught or trained herself on her eating habits. I really think a lot of "our" eating habits & issues come from our childhood and what we were or weren't taught by our parents. For me as a parent, I am trying really hard to teach my kids the right way to eat. The only problem is I am having to relearn my habits and this is the hardest thing for me.
  • tenquilts
    Options
    You know, a few decades ago, an adult meal at McDonald's was what the kid's meal is today. We have grown in SO many ways. It's one of those mind over matter things. I've lost weight before with programs like Weight Watchers and L. A. Weight Loss, and so much of the tools they give you are the messages you need to repeat to yourself, tricks like learning that one bite will satisfy any food craving, and the more water you drink, the less food you will want to eat (also, cold foods/beverages shrink your stomach and take away the feeling of hunger more quickly).

Remember, peoples' metabolisms come in so many varieties. I know horribly skinny people who eat like body builders, but their bodies never seem to show it. Right now, I'm jealous of my 13yo stepdaughter who - if allowed - will skip all proteins, vegetables and fruits to eat only Cheetos and ice cream, and I've never had a figure as svelte as hers. But chances are it will catch up to her someday!
  • Susiej1976
    Susiej1976 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All I can say.... I agree....
  • rubydoo102
    Options
    I have learned one important thing; salads DO NOT MAKE YOU SKINNY. For 8 1/2 years I ate Boston Market salads while watching "the skinny coworker" eat burgers and fries. I gained 80 pounds because that SALAD was like 700 calories and 45g of fat!
    If you look closely at the nutritional facts of that Arby's salad Vs a regular roast beef sandwich or let's just say a "so called" healthy salad at Bob Evans Vs a "real" meal, they are NOT as healthy as you would think & you're probably still hungry. I am no diet guru but I have learned to pack my own lunch and actually know what I am eating. (135 calories 2g fat and I'm full) :)