Hey swimmers....

Options
calderst
calderst Posts: 222 Member
Any advice on how to make it enjoyable?
I'm a runner. I love cycling. I have to force myself to swim.

I just registered for my first olympic distance tri. It's in 6 months. I know HOW to swim. I have access to an indoor pool but I find myself coming up with all kinds of reasons NOT to use it! Now that I've actually paid money and know it's for a distance I can't currently do, I know I will get down to business. The thing is-- I really don't enjoy it. I think back to when I first started running though, and how hard it was, and that gives me a little confidence that perhaps one day I may enjoy swimming.

So, I'm not necessarily looking for techniques (I've had swimming buddies check out my form to make sure I'm doing it right and read countless articles) but rather for any tips to get me in the water and maybe even getting to a point where it's not a chore. Do I just need to get in there and get the distance in? Or would drills be the most beneficial?

Thanks!

Replies

• olytri2012
    Options
    Do I just need to get in there and get the distance in? Or would drills be the most beneficial?

Thanks!

Both. I bought a waterproof case for my ipod with waterproof headphones. It helps pass the time.
  • calderst
    Options

Both. I bought a waterproof case for my ipod with waterproof headphones. It helps pass the time.

Hmmm I hadn't thought of this. Thanks!
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You need to mix it up. I agree that swimming lap after lap can get boring. Get some training aids such as fins, bouy's and kick boards. I assume you will be swimming 1500 meters, I don't think you'll ever take the chore out of training but as a triathlete it's what we have to do. Keep records of your workouts and as you see improvements in distance and speed which also builds confidence, the swimming will not seem to be such a chore. Good luck on your Olympic.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I just got myself an AquaBeat under water Mp3 to help pass the time and can't wait to use it. My friend swears by hers.

good luck
  • stefanieswanger
    stefanieswanger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Find a Training Buddy!

If you can find someone to go to the pool with you, it definitely helps. It is always nice knowing that on the days that you really don't want to be there, someone else is by your side doing the same workout. Similarly, you can motivate them when they are having a bad day.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I agree on the training buddy idea, it helps to at least get you to the pool. It sounds like if you can get the suit on & get in the pool, you'll be fine as far as getting a good workout.

Vary the distances...don't swim like you would run or bike. By that, I mean don't just swim for 30 minutes straight. Search the boards (or message a friend of mine on MFP: TheFranLover ) for easy workouts. They really make it much more interesting. I know it gets boring--I stared at the same black line on the bottom of the pool with no MP3 player or other entertainment for 14 years--but different sets keep it interesting.

Sample:
    200 yd warmup
    200 yd pull
    200 yd kick
    200 yd drill
    4 x 100 sprint with 30 sec rest
    100 easy
    8 x 50 kick as hard as you can with 20 sec rest
    200 yd drill
    100 easy cool down

That would be 2000 yards which is a pretty good distance to prepare for the 1500 of an Olympic distance tri, at least this far out from it.

Obviously you can't do this now in the winter, but as it gets closer, do 1-2 swims per week in the lake/ocean you are doing the tri in (or one near you if the tri is far away). This will do 2 things: 1) make it more interesting for you to swim 2) acclimate you to open water. 1500 in the pool IS NOT the same as 1500 in open water...most people will feel equally tired after 3000 in the pool as they do after 1500 in open water. Even on a calm day, open water is brutal!

Good luck!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I know it's January, so this won't do much good for a while, but: Do you have open water swim opportunities in summer? OWS'ing is nice, because it helps me put a distance on my workout that I don't get in a pool. As in, I started way over there, then swam all the way over here. Past that, I struggle to pool swim. Drills can be nice. The counting helps me forget I'm doing endless laps.

Here in the midwest, OWS'es aren't that brutal. They're actually quite peaceful, I think. But there's no wall! First timers - myself included - always struggle to figure out just how much easier it is pushing off the wall every 25m vs/ no wall for an entire swim. Then you throw in sighting, swimming in a straight line (OMG is that hard!), and getting swum over, and okay sometimes OWS'es can be brutal.

Good luck finding your peace in the pool.
  • calderst
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I talked to a coach today who gave me a great exercise plan for building up to a mile in the pool where I train... I'm just so far from that point!
    I won't be able to do any open water stuff around here until June-- the month of the tri! Luckily it's towards the end of the month and I have a sprint planned for the beginning of the month that includes open water (my first tri was in a pool).
    I need to learn more about drills... I love doing speedwork/ intervals when I'm stuck on the tradmill because it breaks the monotony so maybe drills will be the swimming equivalent for me.

Thanks again for your feedback!
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You gotta have someone to swim with or find a master's group. I have a swim partner and she keeps me accountable for getting to the pool. Otherwise, I would ditch those workouts and I'm a swimmer. LOL
  • R8uge
    R8uge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i agree about a training partner and also joining a swim/masters/tri club. I find cycling so much more enjoyable in a group, more fun running with a partner/my club and it is the same with swimming for me!