Tis the Season for a lil Backslide...

Options
I am having a little trouble handling the holiday eating. My eating plan eliminates sugar, and white carbs. Which is murder during the holidays.

But some of the best part of the holidays is the role that food plays.

So what I am trying to do is little slips. Plus, not doing what I have done in the past which was give my self the excuse to throw in the towel. No more, "Well today's blown so I might as well eat."

I will climb right back on the wagon and continue. If I continue exercising and not go crazy with my eating I can still enjoy the Holidays. If I just maintain my weight until after Christmas or even have a little gain it won't be the end of the world.

I'm putting it in perspective. I won't give my self the excuse to throw in the towel an strap on the feed bag.

Anyone else struggling with this Holiday Season?

Replies

• raindropwishes
    Options
    I am too. I really don't like this season - I get too scared that I'll just binge, and do what you said and just write off a day, which usually then turns into a week, then a month etc. My plan is to freak out and worry about it on the day :laugh:
  • skyze12
    Options
    John...I signed up for MFP on Christmas day. I had my annual physical and all my labs came back off the charts. (I am 54) It was not a total surprise as I have been struggling with losing about 100 pounds for many years. The holiday season, birthdays, vacations....all have been good excuses for me to throw in the towel before but no more. I have a wee one who is counting on me to be around for a long time. He tells me he wants me to be "flat" not "round" and he wants me to do stuff that 7 year old boys love to do. I am trying to teach my boy about having integrity and the down side of telling lies. The thing about the excuses is that they are just lies I tell myself. I can't do that to my boy and I can't do it to myself any more.

I think it is normal to struggle during this season. Especially with all the food "traditions" to uphold. Little slips can turn in to bigger slips but only if we let them. We need to remind ourselves that we have as much control over what we let slip as we do over for how long we let them slip.

"Day by day, in every way, I'm getting better and better".
  • Kimbosbc
    Kimbosbc Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I thought long and hard about how I was going to handle the holiday season. I usually give myself the excuse that it is only once a year and it would be ok to slide. And I even had family that said "Its ok to do it just one day." But I know me. One day this week turns into one day next week and so on. I was very strict with my eating over the holidays. I planned and planned. I have MFP on my phone and wouldn't be able to function without it after only 2 1/2 weeks. It really has helped. I am sure that I get some looks while surfing my phone at every meal but I was able to eat a lot of the things I am used to having for the holidays without wrecking my plan. I stayed within all of my requirements and still didn't feel that I deprived myself. The key for me has been super focus and planning like you wouldn't believe. It takes a lot of time and effort but it is getting easier every day. I have managed to continue my weight lose through the holidays. I am down 11 pounds over the last 2 1/2 weeks. Unbelievable.

13533409.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

:happy:
  • tnh9479
    tnh9479 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I considered it a triumph to have maintained over the holidays. Not only was it Christmas, but it was my birthday as well. So...I let myself eat whatever I wanted on 12/25 only. OMG...did I pay for it the next few days. That won't be happening again!
  • tnh9479
    tnh9479 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I considered it a triumph to have maintained over the holidays. Not only was it Christmas, but it was my birthday as well. So...I let myself eat whatever I wanted on 12/25 only. OMG...did I pay for it the next few days. That won't be happening again!
  • LovinLifeChik
    LovinLifeChik Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have been up a lb, then down a lb for the last couple of weeks. I had decided in mid-December, not to allow myself to get too down if that happened - and for the most part I haven't. As long as I mostly maintained - I was going to be ok with myself! One good thing that came out of this parrticlular season was that I realized there was alot of food that I just didn't want. I enjoyed (in moderation) the items I really love, but I didn't go wild just because it was on the table. I am actually enjoying sticking to the healthier options and feel better when I do! I'm ready for 2012 and while I know I will have setbacks from time to time, I am trying to work towards incremental goals.